• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel line quick disconnect for Yanmar/Dewey generator

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a couple of the Dewey 28v DC generators. No fuel tank. They come with two fuel lines, supply and return. The ends of the fuel lines have air couplers style disconnects. Except there is something like a Schrader valve/ball disconnect. Never seen one like it.

The idea is that you could hook up lines coming out the bottom of a jerry can or some other fuel tank and disconnect it without fuel spilling out of the tank. Maintains your prime as well.

Anyway, one of them came with the correct female side, and one didn’t. Anyone seen these? Or know where they can be purchased? It’s not crucial as I can always figure out another method, but if they can be found, might be nice to have them.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is done on purpose, so as to not confuse the fuel feed, and the fuel return. These machines were made for a specific IED Defeat platform in Iraq. Only ~230 were made... tied into an existing vehicle fuel system, to supplement battery charging under use. On the sets I have, I just lopped them off and will plumb custom to what I want. Those quick connects come in a few different profiles, I forget which one this was... but it was a nonstandard.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I figured the fuel system was drawn off a vehicle or possibly a separate tank (obviously).

With the one set I have, I’ll use one of the plastic jerry cans that Costco sold (maybe they still do?) So I can remove the fuel can to fill up, instead of having to get diesel in a separate can, and pour into this can.

How do you like your generator? Every one I have seen come through auction had 5 hours or so and looked brand new.

Your tax tax dollars at work, subsidizing my green iron affliction!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold one of my two earlier today actually... the other is still sitting in my garage. Was contemplating swapping the DC head over for an AC, just haven't gotten around to it (sold the 6kw AC head to the guy earlier too). Here is what I intend on using, only difference being I am going to drill out the air purge hole to accept a return line, and drill a vacuum purge hole elsewhere in the lid.

20190802_183401.jpg20190802_183409.jpg20190802_183414.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s pretty slick. Which disconnect did you use? Or do you know of a source/name of a fuel line disconnect that would maintain prime?

Zed254

Here is what I intend on using, only difference being I am going to drill out the air purge hole to accept a return line, and drill a vacuum purge hole elsewhere in the lid.
LITD: Another option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-JCA...156753?hash=item2acbffab11:g:xGwAAOSwYihb0A2I

I use my red aux fuel Jerry can adapters a lot. The black one already has a return tube welded into the top. I used these to fab my own aux fuel adapters before we learned about the red UK ones.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LITD: Another option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-JCA...156753?hash=item2acbffab11:g:xGwAAOSwYihb0A2I

I use my red aux fuel Jerry can adapters a lot. The black one already has a return tube welded into the top. I used these to fab my own aux fuel adapters before we learned about the red UK ones.
Thats pretty slick. I forget even how much I paid for this, but its nice because it has an inline mesh filter at the bottom. Great link for future projects though, thanks Zed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks