• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux starter solenoid mysteries

DREDnot

Making progress on my M1078(A0) Frankenharness.
Got power flowing. Warning buzzer fully functional....
Master power gets fuel solenoid to clunk. Trans control powers up with N-N showing. Pressing start switch clicks the relay but no crank.

a couple months ago I Jumped the starter and it cranked and ran on ether so Im pretty sure the starter is OK.

Im trying to figure out the proper function of the AUX solenoid...

DSCN0034.jpg

It seems like its purpose is to serve power to the TL26 lug of the starter and signal STE/ICE about it.
The starter relay should send 24V to the TL33 lug to energize the solenoid and send power from the TL9 lug to the TL24 lug that takes power to the TL26 lug to engage the starter....correct?

And these mystery wires...

DSCN0043.jpg

Im pretty sure these are the leftovers from the P81 thermal cutout from the early starters.
This starter doesn't have the thermal switch.
Do these need to be connected to provide a ground for the AUX solenoid to allow a start?

Ronmar

Yes, that is how it works. If those wires were for the thermal switch then yes, they need to be connected to each other to complete the circuit for the aux start solenoid. The individual wire numbers should be 93 and 93A on the thermal switch wires, and I can actually see “93A” on one of the wires in your pics...

Last edited:

DREDnot

Thanks for the confirmation.

This may be a clue as to why this thing was originally sidelined at FMS

The patina on the wires make me think its been like this for a while.

DSCN9420c.jpg

Maybe it was wire nutted...poorly...definitely wasn't twisted together

DREDnot

Next time I can get out to the truck,
(106* in the shade)
DSCN0097.jpg

Im gonna De spooge the AUX solenoid terminals and check for power and function.

DSCN0033.jpg

Reconnect the 93/93A wires and make the connection solid.
Then try to crank it up...

DREDnot

Success...
It was 95 degrees with some rain today so a perfect time to give this thing a go.
Trimmed off the corroded wire and threw on a crimp connector.

DSCN0148.jpg

Fired right up.
My guess(hope) is still that this may be the problem that got this steel soldier booted from the army.
Half assed wire nut bypass job came loose and no more start? Who knows?

If I get ambitious, I may add a switch there to act as a starter disabler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks