• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full on airbrakes?

Smokindodge

Howdy, FNG here. My background is heavy equipment and truck repair, just got my first deuce today. Mine has been sitting and I’m sure I will have to go all the way through the brake system. I’ve driven them before and remember the brakes being somewhat less than stellar as originally equipped so as I set here by the fire I wonder why not go full air brakes? I know the hub pattern is odd and the drums would likely be high but is there an option or were any m35a2 or variants produced with full air brakes?

Thanks,

Neal

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. Anything is possible, if your set on air brakes. But keep in mind that in the old days, all brakes were "less then stellar". Maybe your starting with the wrong truck? At the same time, I was recently pulling my M989, 11 ton cargo trailer, as I regularly do with my M35, in traffic when I was cut-off suddenly. I hit the brakes a little too hard, & locked the brakes on both the truck & trailer. Just maintain things & you'll be good!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have another truck to compare to, but for it's size I'm pretty impressed with the brakes. I had someone cut in front of me in rush hour traffic and stop short. I jammed on the brakes ended up skidding on all tires in a nice straight line and that person will never realize how close they were to injury.

Certainly an anti-lock system would improve on the brakes, though I have no idea if this could be installed on the deuce.

fasttruck

Anything can be done with enough time and money. The Army had a kit to convert M 809 series 5 tons to straight air brakes as used on the 923s, i.e. wedge brakes. But this kit will not fit a 2 1/2 ton truck. The applicator valve was a commercial item but it would be a challenge to find shoes, drums, and backing plates to fit this truck. And if you want maxi that adds to the difficulty. I added maxi brakes to a B61 Mack 30 years ago and it was a challenge to find brake chambers that would fit the Mack without having to go all the way back to the axle and come out again.

Jeepsinker

There were a few experimental deuces that were built with air lockers in all three axles, 14.00R20 NDT single tires, and full air brakes. Only a few out there to my knowledge, and at least one or two are owned by members on this site.
I'd love to have one but I'm sure brake parts would be nearly impossible to source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks