• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 with a damaged wing...

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little over a month ago I bought an M1008. This truck was beautifully restored. I found it in North Carolina, flew there on a Friday, bought the truck and drove it back to Oklahoma. It ran awesomely (is that a word?). I love my truck. Last week, I made a delivery from Oklahoma to St. Louis. I opened my passenger door to get my tie-down strap container and moved to the back of my truck, let down the tailgate and began to unstrap the load. While unstrapping, a red Ford Ranger rolled past me, folded my passenger door backward and kept on rolling down the hill. Nobody was driving the Ranger. I came to the conclusion that the Ranger was chagrined by the majesty of the CUCV and decided to action, trying to make the CUCV as ugly as itself.

Door Pic 2.jpg

nyoffroad

I managed to save a cab and a door after some firemen got carried away and bent the doors like that, the damage to the cab hinge piller wasn't to bad the hinges where shot and the doors frame needed a lot of massaging. Is the Rangers ins. co. paying for the damage?

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fortunately, we both have State Farm Insurance and yes, the owner of the Ranger is paying for the damage. It is in the shop now. I have already ordered the paint (quartertonparts.com) and it is on it's way. The shop has located a new fender, door, and hinges. I hope it will be repaired within a week or so.

nyoffroad

Fortunately, we both have State Farm Insurance and yes, the owner of the Ranger is paying for the damage. It is in the shop now. I have already ordered the paint (quartertonparts.com) and it is on it's way. The shop has located a new fender, door, and hinges. I hope it will be repaired within a week or so.
I thought for sure the Ins. Co would try to total it out! If they do keep reminding them that it's NOT just a Chevy truck but a MV that's worth a lot more!

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too was afraid they would try to total it because of it's age and yes, I did remind them that it is a genuine, well maintained, flawless (is that even possible?) MV. If they had decided to total my truck, I would have paid for the repair out of my pocket. It took me 20 years to find this truck and it will take more than a broken wing to make me part with it..

DeadParrot

Chevy 73-87 squarebody trucks, from which the M10xx line were made, are rising in value. 10' quality restorations are in the $5000~10,000 range or higher. Show quality can go much higher depending on options and modifications. Don't know if the insurance companies are factoring that in or trying to ignore it.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home from the Hospital

Today I was able to retrieve my M1008 from the body shop! A Red Ford Ranger rolled away from its parking space, rolled past my truck, and folded my door back against the fender. It jacked the door, hinges, fender, and cab post. The total repair bill was just under $2500.00 and that was with me providing the paint. Estes Collision in Miami, OK did the repair and I believe they did a masterful job. If I do this correctly, you should be able to see tPassenger Side Repaired.jpghe pictures...Door Pic 2.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Vehicles get wrecked in the first few hours of their lives.
A few hours of ownership, a few hours on the road , 54 miles on the car.
We glad as fix for yours and ours was found. Poopy happens.

IMG_0304.jpg

Last edited:

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did reuse most of the components. They had to replace the window regulator as the original one was bent (according to the body shop). I did notice that I will have to fix the window crank handle as it twisting eccentrically.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks