• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Rifle

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Point me to these factory M16's for 20K. I'll buy them.
$20k is reasonable. You could probably talk this guy down to $21k at least. Maybe $20k if you are lucky and he’s hungry. Uzis run about $12k for just a sear or $14k for the gun.

They are out there.
77027D92-7996-4EEA-8153-6F97F0FC5B5F.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Denix replica M16A1. Very difficult to tell if it’s real or replica. The most eye catching trait is the orange plug in the barrel. I also have a M16A2 airsoft. It’s scary how real it looks and no orange plug! I would be very nervous carrying it anywhere but in my gun truck.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would transport company soldiers ever carry carbines like a CAR-15 or XM-177? I thinking of tankers & artillery personnel who would often carry shorter guns due to space constraints...
If it's a USMC truck, then M16A2s were issued starting around 1985-ish in combat arms units...reserve units followed a year later IIRC. I initially qualified with an M16A1, then in 1986 was issued an M16A2. Your family of truck was used by USMC units well into Desert Storm and beyond, so an M16A2 would be quite appropriate.

USMC tankers were also issued .45-cal M1911 pistols as well as piece of crap M3A1(?) "grease guns" until around late 1985 when ours were withdrawn from service and replaced with the M16A2 rifle. The stamped grease guns were carried inside the turret in a mount next to the loader...these mounts were replaced with those for M16A2s shortly after I arrived at 1st Tank Battalion. Sometime around 1987-88 the venerable M1911 pistols were replaced with Beretta M9 pistols (best used as a hand-held bludgeoning device, or as my old tank commander called them, "New Driver Training Devices" as he'd knock them in the CVC helmet with his if they ran over any rocks while driving the tank....unless he got them with the mattock handle first from his TC position).

However, to answer your question directly, those type of trucks would NOT have been driven/operated by USMC tankers, but rather Motor Transport folks (Paging RustyStud), who would have been directly issued M16A1 rifles until 1985-86, then M16A2 rifles afterwards. The tankers themselves would have carried the above personal weapons while operating with the tanks.

Your family of 5-ton was used for so long in Army & Marine units (both active & reserve, along with National Guard) that anything 98G posted could believably be carried in that rack. Or you could just reply "M16" as few people outside military service or gun enthusiasts would know what variant.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks