• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cutting an M105 bed?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it hurt an M105 bed too much structurally to cut out this portion of the bed? A 900 series tire hoist will fit right between the pillers placed on the bed itself. Any thoughts? Need a spare out here and my bed. Thirty Mile drive just to get to town and back home. Any Ideas are appreciated.IMG_20190804_153849735_HDR.jpgIMG_20190804_153928050_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea. the corner is a huge part of the M105 structure. But if you have one that has the extra reinforcements, that might help.

Is there room for it under the frame? Maybe split the crane and mount the crane in the back right corner of the bed and put the tire rack in the front of the (uncut) bed.

Leaving full length frame gave me over 30" to play with between the bed and cab (where the spare is going). I ran angle from side to side for the tire cradle and kept it up off the frame to accommodate a TC PTO going under it.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slate are you pointing at the space between the pillar supports, or removing the pillar itself? How much do you think the assembly you want to mount there weighs with the tire on it 300 to 350 pounds?
Karl

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slate are you pointing at the space between the pillar supports, or removing the pillar itself? How much do you think the assembly you want to mount there weighs with the tire on it 300 to 350 pounds?
Karl
Yes I was thinking of leaving the pillars. Just the top and bedside in-between would be cut to accommodate end if tire rack and a tire on the hoist would slip right in.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea. the corner is a huge part of the M105 structure. But if you have one that has the extra reinforcements, that might help.

Is there room for it under the frame? Maybe split the crane and mount the crane in the back right corner of the bed and put the tire rack in the front of the (uncut) bed.

Leaving full length frame gave me over 30" to play with between the bed and cab (where the spare is going). I ran angle from side to side for the tire cradle and kept it up off the frame to accommodate a TC PTO going under it.
I didn't have the hoist at the time I built it. Was an afterthought of....Oh crud these tires weigh a ton how do I change a tire and load the spare if I need to. I like Hanks Deuce but the bed is getting a little small when cutting it down. I will measure and move things around in the morning and see if hoist in back and tire in front corner would be feasible. With the fenders sticking out there may be some space better used in between them and the front and back leaving a full length and width bed. I side the fenders of course.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could cut it and insert the tire carrier assembly, but after time I fear that the additional flexing from removing crucial support structure would cause cracking of the bed itself. Of course it all depends on so many variables that other members have pointed out and have documented in other threads....amount of frame flex, vibrations from driving over time, tire balances, and so on.

You could always weld in a structural replacement support, with some 1x3 (or other similarly suitable size) steel tubing, welded to the bed that would go around the tire carrier assembly...you're losing cargo bed space as it is with the tire carrier assembly, a few inches more with a steel tubing support welded around it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Sort of like inverting that corner into the bed's cargo space.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After cutting for the spare tire carrier, make a channel to cover the gap and bolt in place to aid in structural intergrity. You'll have to pull a bunch of tools out to change the tire anyway, whats 2 more bolts?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone got pics of using stock location with 395's. I can pick it up but the wheel is inset so the bolts will not connect to secure it. need to see what others have done in this situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks