• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813/818 Questions for New Guy

stumbln C

Hello Everyone,

New Guy here looking to potentially get into the military truck market. By me there are two trucks for sale, an M818 and M813 both of which are in good condition, low miles/hours. Anyway I know a similar thread was started below, but rather than hijack it I figured I start my own. I know what i want in terms of an engine/trans...Cummins Diesel (they are the best...and I work for em :razz:) and a manual trans. I am not really looking to buy a trailer and but I do know the M818 has a bit more grunt for towing. Does the suspension make them harsher to drive? The next question I have is kind of one everyone has, what is a fair price range for these trucks? Assuming condition is as previously stated. You don't need a CDL for these trucks right? Can you purchase reasonable insurance for these vehicles? Are there any differences between the paint (beige and Olive green) in terms of things like propensity to rust, and deterioration?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jim

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 813 and 818 have the same suspension. The wreckers are the only trucks that use a different spring system on the rear. A tractor and a cargo truck with no weight on either will ride like crap. They all ride better with a few tons on the back. They both tow equally. Both trucks have the same power output. One just weighs a few thousand pounds less than the other.

fasttruck

You will not need a CDL if you get a farm use, RV, or historic vehicle plate. If the unenlightened clerks at PENDOT stick you with a commercial license then you will deal with a host of other fees and nasty compliances. PA has undouble adopted the applicable federal standard by reference and that goes by RATED weight and requires a CDL for a commercial vehicle rated for over 26000#. The feds designate anything RATED over 26000# as a commercial vehicle unless an allowed excluded use is granted which is why these people driving bus sized RVs don't need CDLs. Registering a "commercial" classed vehicle under 26000# doesn't work as they go by the rated weight not the registered weight. 818s and 813s have the same driveline and brakes. The M809 series wrecker, the M816 has a unique heavier suspension. The principle difference between them is the length of the frame and what is on top of it behind the cab. The 818 frame is shorter and there is less weight on it without a trailer so they do have a harsher ride bobtail. Ask anybody who bobbed one 300 or miles or so to retrieve a trailer.

fasttruck

The paint is equally crappy regardless of color in my opinion. Insurance ? If can successfully escape the commercial vehicle trap price RV or historic vehicle insurance. If the vehicle is tan it has undoubtedly been repainted, probably with a floor mop, because in 1970-71 the vehicles were built painted OD with the aircraft identification stars on the hoods and doors. Around 1975 the Army switched to camouflage colors and the trucks were repainted forest green at that time and new ones came through in that color. In preparation for the 1991 Gulf War vehicles expected to deploy to the big sand box were repainted tan. Some of them were repainted green after that campaign, some not. I have a M35A2 here that was born OD, became forest green, tan, and is forest green again.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the length of the truck is an issue, the shorter will be the M818. The M818 also has a smaller turning radius. The ride quality is rough on any 5 ton with no weight on the back. My rear axles once caught air going over some rough train tracks at 50MPH. Just use some cation when running empty. M809 series trucks are anywhere between 50 and 38 years old. There is going to be rust on these trucks due to age and the fact that they have spent most of, if not their entire lives outside in the elements. Just look the trucks over and judge for yourself. I was able to get my insurance thru state farm, liability with uninsured for $30 month.

stumbln C

Thank you all for the replies, this certainly helps. Is it safe to say that a fair range in value is between 8500-12000? The two I am looking at are between that range.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No. Heck no. Maybe 5k if they are lucky. You can get a decent 939 series truck for under 10k at the max. A nice 931A2 tractor just sold on ebay for 6000.

Shop around. A 939 cab is 10 inches wider and much more comfortable and reliable brake system wise than a 809 series truck.

There is a nice 936A1 wrecker here in Memphis for $9,000. The seller has it listed at 15k on this site but craigslist his ad says $9k.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Wes on the value (and model).

My suggestion is a deuce to stay well under the 26,000#. In Penn, that may be more of an issue than in Indiana (farm use), so will make the larger truck more expensive from every angle. If you are intent on a 5 ton, Like Wes says, the later 939 series are much improved.

I'm partial to the later M35 A3 because of dual circuit brakes and Cat engine, but a well maintained multi fuel can be had for the money you mention above too.

fasttruck

Reference post 12: a 809 series truck with a winch, heater and hard cab might come to the low end of your range. Especially if it is not too rusty and everything works.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone dealt with Eastern supply in Philadelphia? I have a link below, these are the ones that have the trucks I was looking at...seems to be, according to the people here in the know they are overpriced?

https://www.easternsurplus.net/VehicleDetails/66/M818-Truck-Tractor

Thoughts
Eastern Surplus has an account here on SS. Relevant information may be found by looking at posts made, and also the feedback score.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?1827-country

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks