• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ABS light on - Troubleshooting

AKAustria

Good Monday morning guys!

Who has dealt with ABS light on in dashboard and did trouble shooting?!

I have spent a good deal on going through TM’s but couldn’t find anything specific on the ABS light :shrugs:

M1083A1 - Year 2000 - CAT 3126

Thanks,
Andy

coachgeo

Good Monday morning guys!

Who has dealt with ABS light on in dashboard and did trouble shooting?!

I have spent a good deal on going through TM’s but couldn’t find anything specific on the ABS light :shrugs:

M1083A1 - Year 2000 - CAT 3126

Thanks,
Andy
do you have the A1 TM's or only the A0 Tm's (which don't think will have any info on ABS)

there is a fellow selling the A1 tms (to cover his cost of extracting the TM's from military software not publicly released and splitting them into a cd set or thumbdrive)

Ronmar

Yep, no ABS in the A0/Manuals. Ideally you need a way to talk to the ABS processor to read the codes... The most vulnerable point on most ABS systems are the wheel sensors. A good hand over hand inspection of all the ABS sensor cables down to the wheels may show you some visual problem. You could also disconnect each sensor and measure resistance looking for an anomoly. The next most problematic would probably be the actuators. In this case I believe it is solenoid air valves that release/pulse the brakes on a decelerating wheel. you could perform the same visual and resistance checks for all the actuators looking for someting odd-ball. But not knowing exactly what and how the system monitors for fault diagnosis, you really need to be able to read the codes to effectively troubleshoot this...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think the lmtv has a more standard abs diag port unlike the m939 trucks that needed a special interface. The abs module is mounted by the cab hyd pump. The abs light could mean a bad module or just a stored error code. Sometimes the codes can clear themselves eventually. Checking the wheel sensors and connections is a good place to start as Ronmar
said above. There should be a breaker for it in the panel also.

AKAustria

I would love to get my hands on one of those ABS diagnostic readers!
Thank you Suprman!

On a side note, I haven’t found much if any info on owners who have done trouble shooting.
Is that just poor researching on my part or is there not much happening with ABS systems?

Again - Thank you!

AKAustria

I actually DO HAVE the manuals from this very fella!
Sadly, the thumb drive is not MAC compatible so I got to get myself a PC first before I can actually look at them. A little bit of a problem, but that was one thing I will eventually take care of.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2003 A1 and I have experienced a ABS light. I had just changed out the axle gears and in doing so I accidentally bumped one of the sensors in the front axle out of range.
It was a simple fix, just follow the sensor wires and push the sensor back in so it’s back in the proper position to read the tone ring.
That’s what fixed my ABS light.

AKAustria

I have a 2003 A1 and I have experienced a ABS light. I had just changed out the axle gears and in doing so I accidentally bumped one of the sensors in the front axle out of range.
It was a simple fix, just follow the sensor wires and push the sensor back in so it’s back in the proper position to read the tone ring.
That’s what fixed my ABS light.
Will definitely start with a thorough visual and hands-on inspection... and keep posting about it. It’s nice when I see a tread were there is also a solution at some point!

Ronmar

The ABS controller I believe is made by Haldex. You should be able to get a part number off of it and search up exactly what is required to communicate with it... This is also probably something a large truck shop could read for you...

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "Meritor WABCO TOOLBOX" software is needed to readout the codes. Besides the software you need a scanner ( adapter ) with J1939 and J1587 protocol to communicate with the ABS ECU. I have the Cat ET software with the CAT scanner bought it from AlieExpress for $350 works perfectly. I never tried to readout the ABS Ecu because I never hat abs coming on.

I would buy CAT ET software & scanner it's a real must have if you have an A1 truck, with this adapter you can also readout the trans TCM with the Allison software. All the ECM's in the truck are connected to each other using the J1939 & J1587 communication protocol. This protocol is standard in commercial trucks. Same is OBD2 is standard in all passenger cars.

You communicate with all ECM's using the round deutsch connector on the drivers side by the battery disconnect switch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks