• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Wiper Pivot Assembly Installation – Need Help Removing Arm from Pivot Ball

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to install a new windshield wiper pivot assembly but I cannot seem to get the arm off of the pivot ball. Is there a trick to removing the arm from the pivot ball? The Tech memo just states “remove” the arm from the ball. I tried to carefully pry it off but I don’t want to bend the arm. It looks like there is a plastic covered nut on the arm which is where the ball would come through the hole in the arm. Does it just pop off? Does that plastic cover come off? Any suggestions and /or assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
G3

2 New Pivot.jpg3 New Pivot.jpg4 Wiper Pivot Tech Memo TM-9-2320-280-20-3.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray lubricant on it and pull harder
That isn't working. The shaft on the old part is broken so I can't really pull on it as it moves within the windshield frame. I was thinking some kind of a wheel/gear puller may work if the plastic end cap on the arm comes off.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
It's a little ball and socket joint. (you knew that) Very tight fitting and a good chance it could get wasted in the process. That hex looking plastic is also pressed into the matching hex hole. Could come apart two way... pivot ball pops out of plastic hex ball socket (hard to see) or plastic hex push back thru arm. Not much room to play in. A small shop built right angle pickle fork makes it easy...er. Either way (a "B") have spare and good luck.

Lift and separate or was it push and pull, CAMO

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a little ball and socket joint. (you knew that) Very tight fitting and a good chance it could get wasted in the process. That hex looking plastic is also pressed into the matching hex hole. Could come apart two way... pivot ball pops out of plastic hex ball socket (hard to see) or plastic hex push back thru arm. Not much room to play in. A small shop built right angle pickle fork makes it easy...er. Either way (a "B") have spare and good luck.
Lift and separate or was it push and pull, CAMO
Thanks for the info on the hex plastic. Part of the problem, and the reason I am replacing the part, is the splined end of the shaft was broken off by the Marines when they prepped this truck for storage. Since the end is broken off the entire part slides in and out about 3/4 off an inch. This makes it very difficult to pry the arm off as when you start to lever on it the entire works moves toward you and comes into contact with the windshield frame. So I will start shopping for a new arm as well in case the plastic socket pops out. Then I will get to remove and reinstall the wiper motor. Uggghh, nothing is easy with these vehicles. LOL, and I thought my old Harleys were a pain in the arse....

Broken Spline.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just reach in with a small pry bar and pop the arm off the pivot...the wiper pivot assys are broken or will be on most of the MAK trucks, they had wiper arm extensions on them that are just about impossible to remove so
you have to replace the pivot assys, I just did 3 trucks.
The extensions were added due too the thick bullet proof glass as opposed to the flush mounted OEM glass.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one side still has the extension. I was able to get the broken one off. Thanks, I just needed a better pry bar and some wedging. Bring on the rain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks