• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV registration in California. BUYERS BEWARE

tacosauce

I'm running into roadblocks. DMV processed it with a referral to CHP for vin verification. Several offices are almost 2 months out for appointments. I was only able to talk with one officer. He was adamant that even if it is an RV, it cannot be considered anything other than a military vehicle for use off road.

dxhend2

I'm running into roadblocks. DMV processed it with a referral to CHP for vin verification. Several offices are almost 2 months out for appointments. I was only able to talk with one officer. He was adamant that even if it is an RV, it cannot be considered anything other than a military vehicle for use off road.
I've heard that it's really hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Sounds like another "opinion" without any basis in actual regulations. Maybe the best course of action would be to try other CHP stations until you find a "reasonable" opinion, rather than trying to argue the point with facts. All you need from them is to issue a VIN and move along.

I'll be going through this process next year for the first time myself; anticipating that to be one of the more difficult stages of the whole project. Wish I could give you a more specific recommendation, but from what I've seen here in the forums, it appears to be totally dependent on who you talk to. Hang in there!

LibertyCinamon

I've heard that it's really hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Sounds like another "opinion" without any basis in actual regulations. Maybe the best course of action would be to try other CHP stations until you find a "reasonable" opinion, rather than trying to argue the point with facts. All you need from them is to issue a VIN and move along.

I'll be going through this process next year for the first time myself; anticipating that to be one of the more difficult stages of the whole project. Wish I could give you a more specific recommendation, but from what I've seen here in the forums, it appears to be totally dependent on who you talk to. Hang in there!
Let us all know how the process goes and if you were successful. I am very interested in doing the same thing.

Brian011952

I copied this from the CA DMV's web site today. It seems the process is pretty straight forward. I haven't done this yet as I am picking my LMTV up this next week, but this is the route I plan to follow while making my attempt to register my new purchase.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I copied this from the CA DMV's web site today. It seems the process is pretty straight forward. I haven't done this yet as I am picking my LMTV up this next week, but this is the route I plan to follow while making my attempt to register my new purchase.

Be prepared to go to the CHP if the truck has not been registered in California before.

Blair

dxhend2

This is new (or maybe I just hadn't found it before). Seems straightforward and clear - should make it more reasonable (and consistent) from what I've heard of previous experiences.

Thanks for finding and sharing!

adecaccia

No doubt this thread will be moved, but I REALLY wish it wasn't. Why? Until a month ago I had no idea States were are the war path to pull us off the road. I did not follow the other areas of this site. NOW I WILL lol.

We need to be proactive. No, not raising an issue where there is no issue. That would be just plain stupid. I'm saying developing a coalition to monitor each state's legislative body. Maybe passing around the duty each month to members in each respective state to run a Bill / Legislative search. Donno...just brainstorming. We just have too much time and money invested to be only be permitted to drive off road and in parades, etc. Makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the trials and tribulations of getting these things running and keeping them running, for some legislator to deny us our fully hobby. This is America, not China!
Not for long!

Satchaser

I think trying to register an M1078 in California is only possible in two cases:
1) The person at the DMV your dealing with is incompetent and processes the title and registration against their own rules
2) You do a legitimate convert to an RV, which requires a permanent living quarters add on AND get the CHP sign off.

After much investigation and talking with friendly CHP's, it is against State Law to have a commercial vehicle with a Diesel engine older than 2010. Any vehicle that is GVWR over 11,500 Lbs. is Commercial UNLESS it is an Rv. To be an RV it must have a permanent living space (not something that can be removed).

Given that you have to weigh a truck in California to register it, I wonder if you could remove enough material from a M1078 to get it down to the 11,500 Lbs amount. Any ideas?

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think trying to register an M1078 in California is only possible in two cases:
1) The person at the DMV your dealing with is incompetent and processes the title and registration against their own rules
2) You do a legitimate convert to an RV, which requires a permanent living quarters add on AND get the CHP sign off.

After much investigation and talking with friendly CHP's, it is against State Law to have a commercial vehicle with a Diesel engine older than 2010. Any vehicle that is GVWR over 11,500 Lbs. is Commercial UNLESS it is an Rv. To be an RV it must have a permanent living space (not something that can be removed).

Given that you have to weigh a truck in California to register it, I wonder if you could remove enough material from a M1078 to get it down to the 11,500 Lbs amount. Any ideas?

A couple things, The unfortunate thing about the CA DMV is that so many of their own people dont understand their own rules or know how to find the answers. CHP officers don't always know what they are enforcing or what they play in the role of registering vehicles. Its a confusing myriad of regulations and complicated updates to former rules and yet to be enforced rules. Also, once they tick all the boxes at the local DMV office its sent to a special unit in Sacramento to verify.

However, regarding the M1078. If it hasn't been in California it will need to be inspected at the DMV first. Apparently they can sign off on the VIn if necessary. Mine didn"t and I had to go to CHP. At he CHP, their job was to verify the VIN and assign the number based on the serial number. They also verified the emission sticker on top of the engine. I also, had the CARB exemption printed out in case that wasn"t enough. And like the Officers you talked to, he said it couldn't be registered. I believe his reference for military vehicles were Hummers which in fact are not legal to be registered. But in truth, he had nothing to do with the registration aside from verifying the VIN. Also, CARB has under the same category of diesel powered motor homes a section for <19,500 lb pickup trucks that are personal non commercial use providing it had a bed like a pickup truck. My truck is a 1997 A0 with a 3116 w/10,000 miles. So its a 50 state motor with sticker and Carb letter, over 7500 miles to be considered used and less then 19.,500 lbs for personal use. As of today I installed my rear box that will be the Habitat and I will need to jump through the hoops to convert it to an RV.

Blair

Laharve

I just bought a M1078 on GovPlanet. It will take a couple of months to get the paperwork signed off so they can release the truck to me. My intention is to register it in California. I am creating custom special project to support wildfire prevention out of it. After reading the above posts, this could go really bad for me and I might end up shipping the truck to New Mexico if CA won't play ball. I do have some experience with the DMV and often it seems you just have to find the right angle for the person behind the counter to issue the tags (see the tank story above).

I plan to fully document the adventure, and I am happy to share it with this group and others who want to hear my experience. I'll keep you posted.
Hey there,
I'm up in Cloverdale, did you ever have any luck getting your M1078 registered? I do know some of the commercial guys end up registering for partial year to save money if you cant convert it to RV status.
I want one too, it would fit well with my upcoming expedition camper build.

Satchaser

Hey there,
I'm up in Cloverdale, did you ever have any luck getting your M1078 registered? I do know some of the commercial guys end up registering for partial year to save money if you cant convert it to RV status.
I want one too, it would fit well with my upcoming expedition camper build.
It is not registered yet. I am starting on strategy #3..... it will be slow going, I will update you.

m35a22ton

<br>
Are they grandfathering? <br>
<br>
This is cancer for military trucks. Who is behind this in California? Why are they doing this? Nobody has solid reasoning from officials as to why this is happening? Find it in the legislation. We need to find out. Freedom of information act. Head in the sand is not working and it won't protect other states either.<br>
<br>
You MUST watch your legislator VERY CAREFULLY. Monitoring bills can be automated. <br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.legislature.ca.gov/bill_information.html" target="_blank">http://www.legislature.ca.gov/bill_information.html</a><br>
<br>
Figure who sponsored the bill. Start arranging meetings with these folks. Start talking to veterans in CA. Gain support and LEVERAGE your way out of this. Heck, most of us would be willing to go door to door to get signatures in our state if we had to. I think people in general, would be supportive. Who wants to buy and insure a truck just for parades? 18 miles? Give me a break!

It is California a sh!t show ran by the lowest IQ people on earth voted in by people who want everything for free! They will call it going green, road safety but it is a power play and ego stroke!

SgtMajHarper

Reading the TX dune buggy/Sandrail debacle reminds me of what happened here within SS when Colorado passed their bill. The historical owners fought just to continue being able to drive their historical military vehicles. Once divided, eventually all will fall. We can't be "breed specific" because sooner or later they will come for your "breed".
With Colorado passing theirs, California was soon to follow. Then count on Washington, New York, New Jersey to be right on their heels.
It should be a mass, cohesive, joint and cooperative effort for ALL military vehicles to be allowed to be used in whatever way any other similar vehicle is used.... no parade or offroad BS!
Very forward thinking and correct......it took Colorado 1 year to no loner register historic military vehicles as street legal.....a few guys have managed to dodge the "offroad" lable and keep driving, but I imagine some troll is out there working from his moms garage I type trying to figure out how to get the rest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks