• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 better fuel millage

Dodge37

I am looking into getting a dodge m37 and would like to make it in to a daily driver but want to find out how i can get better fuel mileage with the original 230 engine. I have looked into an engine swap and have found a few engines that could help with fuel mileage but i want to see if i can use the original 230 engine. I allready plan on wanting to change the gear ratio for higher speeds, and am not even sure if the 230 engine will do allright with what i want to do. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove one daily for years. I had Interco SuperSwamper TSL 13-38-16LT tires on it with a large outside diameter 38" which helped with mieage. These tires last a long time! Traction is outstanding!! They fit the military rims fine.
Regards Marti

nattieleather

I am looking into getting a dodge m37 and would like to make it in to a daily driver but want to find out how i can get better fuel mileage with the original 230 engine. I have looked into an engine swap and have found a few engines that could help with fuel mileage but i want to see if i can use the original 230 engine. I allready plan on wanting to change the gear ratio for higher speeds, and am not even sure if the 230 engine will do allright with what i want to do. Any help would be muchly appreciated.
The first thing you need to look at is what is your daily drive? Do you just need to go a few blocks to work and the store to get a few things or do you have a 30 mile highway commute? Will you drive be back road max speed 35 mph or do you need to minimum of 55 mph to keep from being a hood ornament on a semi?

If your answers are around town 35-40 max speed then the stock 230 motor will work fine. But if you need to do highway speeds all day long then even with the gear ratio change and bigger tires your going to work that motor to hard. It just wasn't meant to do highway speeds for any amount of time and that motor was designed in a era when fuel was cheep, plentiful, and one didn't worry about how much they used. IMHO trying to get better fuel economy out of the old 230 is like trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear....just doesn't happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks