• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Matching

fireman5214

Hello all,

Our turbo on our deuce has blown out and after talking to the forestry service they said they have a truck they can cannibalize one off of but they are unsure if it will fit on our truck. I tried looking and I cannot find anything myself. The forestry service looked for answers and cannot find any information out. Does anyone know if these will fit interchangeably? The image attached is an image from our deuce build plate.
deuce.jpg

This is the email I received from them:

[FONT=&quot] My issue is that it is 2 different models and before I cannibalize I want to be sure that the turbo would be compatible.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Truck to be cannibalized is a 1968 Kaiser M35A2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Truck to be repaired is a 1977 American General M35A2C [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tried researching this on google and finding it difficult to get specs for M35A2, the M35A2 supposedly has an REO, OA-331, 127 hp engine.[/FONT]

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If both trucks have the diesel LDT-465 the turbos should interchange.
You want to check the data plate on the passenger side of the engine to be sure of what you have.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NY Tom is right, if they are both -465 engines either turbo will work, both the "C" (whistler) and the "D" turbo use the same installation kit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Post a pic of both turbos. There is about 5 different turbos that have been on the trucks, it never hurts to confirm. If a turbo from a 5ton was put on one of the trucks, you may need different intake/exhaust connections.

martinv

Can you explain what went wrong with the turbo? I'm just curious since I had (or possibly still have) turbo issues recently.

Last edited:

fireman5214

Thanks for the help everyone. I will get pictures soon, it has been super busy.

Martin, we believe it came with it blown but our neighboring department who has had deuces longer than us said it sounded like it was blown since we didn't have much power climbing the slight grade at a joint training.

fireman5214

Thanks for the help everyone. I will get pictures soon, it has been super busy.

Martin, we believe it came with it blown but our neighboring department who has had deuces longer than us said it sounded like it was blown since we didn't have much power climbing the slight grade at a joint training.
I was finally able to get a picture of the turbo, we were checking the deuce over last night and the turbo does spin. As for an identification number, the only thing we saw on it was a 0798 stamped into the turbo. Pictures are included:

1581459276067.png
1581459291813.png

fireman5214

is the exhaust side oily? check for shaft play too. Maybe there's nothing wrong with it. Remember, the turbo was originally added to prevent black smoke on these engines, not to produce a bunch more horsepower....maybe 5-10 more HP. They can run without one.
There is a bunch of oil around the whole side of the engine, they said it was coming from the screen i think, I am trying to remember to last night, but its where it builds up pressure and just lets it out of the pipe.

That is what the other chief said, there shouldn't be as much black smoke as our deuce puts out and it barely had power climbing the road at the landfill that the garbage trucks use. There is also no whistle at all. The guy who was checking the turbo said it was really stiff, no play at all, and he has a diesel with a turbo he just replaced.

fireman5214

A "D" turbo doesn't whistle. The turbo should spin with just a flick of your finger. It shouldn't be the cause of low power. What screen? Pic...please
The turbo didn't spin until the truck was on, it was not freely moving by hand. I think the slobber tube is what david called it. I know the guy said its where it is supposed to come out.

fireman5214

Is the oil coming out of the slobber tube? Are you losing oil level on the dip stick, or is it rising?
There is no low oil level and the oil level is full. The guy who knows more about diesel engines said it is normal for the oil to come out there. We are thinking of doing an oil change on it because we do not know when the last time it was changed from the previous fire company and then it sat outside at the forestry place for a year.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo didn't spin until the truck was on, it was not freely moving by hand. I think the slobber tube is what david called it. I know the guy said its where it is supposed to come out.
If the turbo blades do not spin easily by hand, then you have found the problem! It might be simple - the oil has gummed it up, and it might be expensive - the turbo needs to be rebuilt/replaced. Don't try running it till you know which is the problem.

fireman5214

If the turbo blades do not spin easily by hand, then you have found the problem! It might be simple - the oil has gummed it up, and it might be expensive - the turbo needs to be rebuilt/replaced. Don't try running it till you know which is the problem.
Just a quick update, the turbo did spin freely when I talked to the other guy, I thought he said at first it did not spin freely. If the slobber tube is what he thinks you are referring too then yes that is where the oil is coming out. Even after the other days fire, the oil level in the truck is still fine. This doesn't explain why there is a lot of black smoke yet though.

Major Asstyrd

Yes look for a leak between turbo compressor and engine intake. Unfortunately you might not hear or feel it when idling or blipping throttle because boost develops under load. A boost gauge will tell the tale when driving it. I don't know if there is a charge-air cooler (intercooler) on these but if so, those can crack. Some shops have test kits with pipe plugs, air fitting for shop air, and a gauge.

It's OK for a turbo shaft to have some radial play. Grab the compressor wheel and move it up and down. It shouldn't hit the housing but if the bearings have gotten dry sitting for a long time, shaft movement can be more than when the pressurized oil is around them. Axial play should be minimal if any. That is in and out.

It is OK for a turbo to leak a little oil. It can happen when idling for long periods. Turbos have piston ring-type seals for pressure, with an end gap, so not designed to contain oil.

Stay away from a running turbo, especially on a diesel! They suck a lot of air and your fingers with it!

Good to remove the turbo and inspect the turbine wheel for foreign object damage. If something comes out of the manifold, like a piece of valve or a bolt you left in there by mistake, the blades can be wiped out and the shaft won't spin fast enough to create enough compressor pressure. Blades can be melted by excessive heat. This can look like FOD but a turbo expert can tell the difference.

There should be a data plate somewhere. Post a picture or tell me all the numbers and I can tell you if an orderable turbo might still be available from the turbo manufacturer. I work for a big turbo and diesel fuel injection distributor.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks