• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake light issue.

URSATDX

M35A3 dual circuit brakes.

Directional and hazards work fine. Jump the leads from the air pack light switch and brake lights come on.

Continuity test on the air brake light switch reads fine.

Connectors appear solid and are tight on switch pins.

Common sense (not my strongest trait) says they should work as I have power and continuity.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have soldier B depress the brake pedal while you measured continuity? Because otherwise, there should be no continuity; switch is open. If you get continuity with the brake pedal depressed and the lights work when you jump the terminals then, good grief, the lights ought to work!

URSATDX

Tested both switches and jumped both sides.
Soldier B pressing brake pedal and continuity on both switches, lights come on when jumped on both sides.
After doing the passenger side testing the brake lights worked with the pedal for about 45 seconds. Off and on
maybe 5 times with the last 2 cycles the lights got dimmer and then nothing. I have disassembled and inspected
the turn signal switch assy and it appears like new inside and functions properly. I removed and cleaned the mounting bolts
on the tail light assemblies to see if it may be a grounding issue with the bolts. Nothing.
Schematics are not my forte but I will, again look at the TMs to see if I am missing something.
Thanks for any suggestions and replies.

Did you have soldier B depress the brake pedal while you measured continuity? Because otherwise, there should be no continuity; switch is open. If you get continuity with the brake pedal depressed and the lights work when you jump the terminals then, good grief, the lights ought to work!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last I seen this problem drove us nuts. Guy replaced the dash switch controller, not the turn signal controller.
That did not fix it either.
You do have a real one of these, right?
wires IMG_2756.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your brake lights come on when shorting across the switch terminals, but not when pedal is pushed, you have a switch problem.

URSATDX

That's what I figured. But.
Both switches test good for continuity when there is adequate air pressure and the pedal is pushed.
Brake lights are activated when I short the leads. But.
No brake lights when I push on the pedal and all is back together.
Out of time for today.
I'll probably remove/test/replace the switches and replace the switch connectors that come from the harness.
Love the truck but she is a B!tch.

glc: cant read your response as the font is grey or black.
Thanks for the response.

If your brake lights come on when shorting across the switch terminals, but not when pedal is pushed, you have a switch problem.

Back2Wyo

I had a motorcycle that had a problem with the brake switch on the front handlebar. It would check fine with an ohm meter but it would not pass voltage to the light. Replaced the switch and that fixed the issue.

URSATDX

Thanks B2Wyo
Was thinking the same.
Thanks for the replay and I love Jackson Hole.

I had a motorcycle that had a problem with the brake switch on the front handlebar. It would check fine with an ohm meter but it would not pass voltage to the light. Replaced the switch and that fixed the issue.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This one drove me to replace the switch and run an LED to the cab so that whenever the brake light switch functions the LED in the cab glows. It does not prove that the back lamps actually illuminate but does prove the switch is functioning. It works to my satisfaction. The Led was 99 cents.
IMG_2115.jpgIMG_2114.jpgIMG_2113.jpgHaldex IMG_1849.jpgIMG_2136.jpgIMG_2137.jpg

This switch is for the air side done on a M35A2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks