• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a Fuel or Electrical problem. Will Not Trip.

Guyfang

Staff member
A GFCI also has nothing to do with frequency. Simplified, it's just checking to see if there is a voltage showing up on the ground wire that isn't supposed to be there, then trips the circuit if it measures any (something like 100mv is enough)
From my past experience with these generators (getting shocked by improperly grounded ones in the Army) the GFCI doesn't have anything to do with the main output terminals.

Circuit breakers are there to protect the generator from excessive load, and doesn't care what the electricity does as long as there isn't too much amperage.
GFCI is there to protect people from getting electrocuted by quickly tripping when voltage is going places it isn't supposed to.

Close, but not quite right. What a GFI does is to compare how many Amps go out to the load, and how many come back in on the Neutral. In the moment, (00.03 Mili second, in the norm) that the out going and return Amperage are not the same, the GFI pops. If the GFI only looked at voltage on the ground portion, and you had your hand on, say a damaged cable and a fire plug, it would never pop. The fire plug is going to lead the voltage to ground, but the ground in the gen set will not part of that ground circuit.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Shame on me. I used it as a layman's term for easier explanation. Your overvoltage fault. It's just easier to say fuse. Your fault panel will light up the fault. The button on the fault panel is also the reset button after that fault clears.

Remember how I said it is a timing thing. The time for the overvoltage fault to be able clear it could be between 1 minute, to 6 minutes or more.

Of course the video did not show a fault. I did not run it long enough until it faulted. But, trust me, it does fault.

Last edited:

mt4x4

I tested the k8 and got all 3 to fault on short. On overload i got 27, 30, and 75 seconds. Manual says it should be about 60 seconds. I'm not sure what to think about that. seems to me 2 of them should trip too early and the other would take to long. I'm thinking about how this should work in single phase. Looking at the wiring diagram, i think all 3 ct's are still in use. Is that correct?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks