• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc350 to 6CTA8.3

grunex125

Original motor was NHC250 but I've switched it out to a turbo'd nhc350 due to lack of power in the fields and soft ground......now that engine is a bit weak (it was bought used) and needing attention again after four years running that engine. I see the BCIII's are still holding a price yet and I see that at Adeleman's the 6CTA's are fairly affordable. Anyone ever go to the 6CTA (8.3L) as an alternative Likes? dislikes? does it even bolt in well?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Original motor was NHC250 but I've switched it out to a turbo'd nhc350 due to lack of power in the fields and soft ground......now that engine is a bit weak (it was bought used) and needing attention again after four years running that engine. I see the BCIII's are still holding a price yet and I see that at Adeleman's the 6CTA's are fairly affordable. Anyone ever go to the 6CTA (8.3L) as an alternative Likes? dislikes? does it even bolt in well?
What are you looking to spend on a big cam? The 8.3 will have to have the front mount redone or the transmission mount redone and everything slid forward with a longer shaft.

grunex125

Actually I was wondering if the 6CTA would give me more room behind the radiator...I need to install some screens to keep the radiator free of haylage and corn silage. so I was hoping to move the radiator back a few inches to accomate that. But if it's going to be a whole lot of switching and conversion IE bell housing, clutch and fuel I may be better off just leavin the turbo'd 350 under the hood. Don't have any problems with the idea of keeping the 350 under the hood I guess if I could find something more affordable I'd be more inclined to keep the 350 setup the way it is......

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've got a NH855 that is a 390hp rated generator engine. With higher flow injectors and some pump work. Itll hit well over 400. Timing is pretty advanced on it though. ST50 Turbo on it with around 300 hours on it. Comes with an aftercooler and the crossover I have 4500 on it and that includes free shipping.

With the 6CTA you would be able to push the radiator back. You could also swap to the RG31 type intercooler radiator setup for the 6cta to give you some more power. I personally would look for a more affordable DT466 and go to town on it over the 6CTA

Member 74M35A2 is selling his 8.3 from his A2 truck

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you didn’t like the power of the nhc250 in the fields, I don’t think your going to be happy with the 8.3. Are you running the transfer case in low range, while in the soft ground?

grunex125

If you didn’t like the power of the nhc250 in the fields, I don’t think your going to be happy with the 8.3. Are you running the transfer case in low range, while in the soft ground?

I pulled the NHC 250 out because is was wore out...and swapped the 350 in with a few modifications I was able to get along with it just fine HP wise......yes in the the soft ground I do run low range and typically never over 3rd for field road travel.....the ground is too soft many times and rough terrains makes it nearly impossible to travel over anything more than 15 mph (plenty fast for me anyway) I was more just curious as to how things would bolt in and if it would allow the room for the radiator mods that I was thinking of. I have no problem with sticking with the 350 in there either....the thing that I have noticed is that anything over 350 hp and the drive line takes a beating so not too interested in pushing past that point. I guess I'll probably keep looking for a better 350 and see what comes up. I'd like to build the engine myself but just don't have the time as I am dairy farming by day and working night shift (10 to 6) at a local foundry......with well over 100 hrs a week devoted to work I just can't squeeze in too much more.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The C series is shorter, so, if you left the rear mounts the same you'd have more room between the fan and radiator., That's easy. Not sure about moving the cooling package back. There would be lots of damming to make no re circulation of the fan air.

Lukes_deuce

If you have a 350 in the truck already, I wouldnt go to an 8.3. Rebuild the 350 and make some type of screen in the front of the radiator or replace the grill to make it a finer screen material. The 8.3 can make power but you would have to rework all the mounts and move everything around to make it fit.

162tcat

Personally, I would swap the 8.3C engine for the 855 any day. More fuel efficient and much much quieter. I love being able to drive around without earplugs in. With all that extra space in the front you could install a fat air to air intercooler. Your front axle would be much happier as well.

74M35A2

8.3L's get nearly double the fuel mileage, and does not have asthma on the freeway. I have one for sale from my M925a2 as a complete take-out, still being driven weekly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
For the work involved in putting an 8.3 in you would be better suited to just go with a big cam. Going to cost about the same for the engines. Refresh the big cam for around 1500 in parts. Slight mod to the front crossmember for the front mount and you are golden on everything else.

The NTC motors are pretty quiet. Mine is around 66 db at idle in the cab and 74db while running 65.

An 8.3 is comparable to a NTC 290. Unless you have to use low range all day in the field then it wont matter really.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks