• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optima Alternative

csheath

For you AGM users:
I came across an AGM battery with the Bosch brand name on it today. Just purchased a 51R from Pep Boys for $146.24 before tax for my tractor. They offered a 25% discount online and the store honored it at the counter. Time will tell how it works out but it has a 4 year free replacement warranty and the guy at that counter said he had never seen one come back.

At present my Walmart lawn tractor batteries are holding up fine in my 803 and have never failed to start. I am using a 20W, 24 volt solar panel connected direct with no controller. Every solar controller I have tried has failed after a short life span and I read they weren't needed for lower watt applications. I even have a 100W panel on a deep cycle group 24 battery that has been maintaining fine since I removed the failed controller.

Last edited:

csheath

Hey csheath,

Have a part number for that PepBoys AGM battery?

Thanks,
SJ
The 51R I bought for my tractor was part number 51R440BAGM. Make sure and look at the specifications to see if it will fit. They didn't list a 34/78 in the Bosch but they have a Champion AGM battery in the 34 size. It also has a 4 year warranty. They have a dozen different AGM batteries listed in the Champion brand.

IMO, Top of the food chain is the Odyssey pc2250, but have heard good things about Bbb Bosch

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc2250
HOLY OVERPRICED BATTERY BATMAN! I thought Optima batteries were over priced. Odyssey must use gold plates.

I can say the Bosch battery I bought is full of lead. It was every bit as heavy as the John Deere Strong Box battery my tractor had in it.

pjwest03

HOLY OVERPRICED BATTERY BATMAN! I thought Optima batteries were over priced. Odyssey must use gold plates.
A 1225 CCA battery would be a bit excessive for an 803. Their powersports sized batteries are a bit less eye watering in the price tag.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can say the Bosch battery I bought is full of lead. It was every bit as heavy as the John Deere Strong Box battery my tractor had in it.
Yes they cost, but there is nothing better out there IMO. That is a 12+ year battery. and they clock in better then 90lbs. They have pretty wide selection of sizes as well

fa35jsf

My dad has two of the odyssey batteries on his 803. Each put out 1200+ CCA. I can tell you that his machine starts incredibly fast! Like I think the starter can spin the motor faster than the engine normally goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

My dad has two of the odyssey batteries on his 803. Each put out 1200+ CCA. I can tell you that his machine starts incredibly fast! Like I think the starter can spin the motor faster than the engine normally goes.

You'll hafta show me a picture of this. I couldn't even get a pair of group 24 batteries to fit in my 803.

Ray70

Are you sure your dad has an 803 and not a 003? Like csheath said, a 34 is the biggest I can get in an 803. The 24 is a tad too big....
Those Odyssey's look like the big square 6TL batteries for an 003A

fa35jsf

Are you sure your dad has an 803 and not a 003? Like csheath said, a 34 is the biggest I can get in an 803. The 24 is a tad too big....
Those Odyssey's look like the big square 6TL batteries for an 003A
100% sure it’s an 803. I’ll ask him for pictures of his batteries and ask what size they are

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odyssey 6T battery’s are the civilian Hawkers.
Best battery on the market.
Expensive yes, but you get what you pay for.

With the the exception of my CUCVs (Hawkers in those), I run red top optima battery’s in every Vehicle and tractor I own.
Can’t afford that many Odyssey battery’s.

I haven’t heard about the Bosch battery’s.
Will have to look at those.

justacitizen

i have been using the exide edge automotive blue top AGM in my oo3A and 002A for a couple of years. they have been very good so far.

Last edited:

csheath

I've had great luck with the Walmart lawn tractor batteries. Just learned last year they make them in 3 different CCA sizes. I've been running the 270 CCA size in my Mustang for years and get 5 years out of them. Hard to beat for $30. I put the 340 CCA size in a couple of applications.

The ONLY reason I sprang for this Bosch battery for my tractor was reading about regular lead acid batteries outgassing and eating the oil cooler and radiator.

fa35jsf

I've had great luck with the Walmart lawn tractor batteries. Just learned last year they make them in 3 different CCA sizes. I've been running the 270 CCA size in my Mustang for years and get 5 years out of them. Hard to beat for $30. I put the 340 CCA size in a couple of applications.

The ONLY reason I sprang for this Bosch battery for my tractor was reading about regular lead acid batteries outgassing and eating the oil cooler and radiator.
Your mustang will start off of just 270 CCA?

Bmxenbrett

Your mustang will start off of just 270 CCA?

I have started a ran a 803 at 5* with 270cca batterys in NY. The case is big on these generstors but there just 10/20hp engines. Most larger lawnmowers are 25hp now.

I believe they sell 310cca lawnmower batterys now too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks