• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 doesn't know how to quit.

Redpawn

You know the old saying they just don't make them like they used too. I can attest to that being the truth. When I got my M35 about 8 years ago I also got an M109 radio truck with the gas engine. The guy said he had it for about 15 years but never heard it run. It had been sitting in the woods with no air cleaner so I figured the engine was toast but just for fun I decided to see if it would turn over and to my surprise it did. So I tossed a few battery's in it and put a hose on the fuel pump and primed the fuel pump. Again to my surprise the hand primer worked. A few pats of the gas and and it fired up like it was parked yesterday. I even drove it to where I parked it. Well that was almost 8 years ago. I was looking at it last week and thought I should see if that still runs. Two battery's, some gas in a can and the answer is a big yes. It got dark before I could take a picture of it but I'll take one tomorrow.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the "resurrection" videos one can find on youtube and find it strangely touching when old iron comes back to life. Of course, from a preservation standpoint, you would not want to do that, really. You would want to drain the oil and fluids, at least open the bottom of the engine, make sure no broken rings, nuts, metal pieces etc., check the top end, put everything together, add fresh oil and turn her over.....and THEN give it a go for starting. I guess you would want to avoid metal shavings or crud in the oil being pressed into all the bearings, causing damage in the long run.

By the way, this is one of my favourites. I do not understand a word, but that does not matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkeR9IWkJKE

Last edited:

Redpawn

Cattlerepairman I thought about what you said and it makes good sense. I'm going to see if I can get an oil filter for it and change the oil. If anything fishy comes out I'll pull the pan. Does anyone have the napa cross over part number for an oil filter it's not in the list of common filters.
Here is a picture of it. The radio box was too far gone when I got it so I took it off and after I scrapped down my M35 to fix the M108 I had a spare bed so I tossed it on.

IMG_20190807_193023.jpg

Redpawn

Shocking as it is Napa had an oil filter for the 109 in stock. Drained the oil from it and the oil came out pretty clean. Well not clean but not a lot of trash came out with it. Put an oil pressure gauge in it and it's running 40psi at idle.

Redpawn

It's hard to kill a 12 valve cummins. I'm putting a 3.9 cummins in a 72 chevy pickup with my dad. I love to hear old diesel engines rattle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks