Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thoughts on the onslaught of State Laws that Pull us of the road

Thanks

Interesting Avatar picture you have Wheelspinner. I believe that was the top secret invisible floating 5 ton suspension or you were visiting downtown Detroit.
    Remember that tiny cut you forgot about? Brake cleaner remembers.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reworked LMTV For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-10-2019)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

As someone who used to work for state government in OK as an IT person, the various agencies don't work in a vacuum. They attend conferences, sometimes national, sometimes regional. Sometimes the leaders go, sometimes middle management, rarely the folks that really do the work. (They often want to take a laptop if they are giving a presentation.) Very likely that at one of these recent DMV conferences, there was a speaker or discussion on the large number of surplus HMMWVs coming on the market. Even if the discussion wasn't slanted one way or the other, the attendees likely left with the impression that "We need to get in front of this." How this translated to action back in the various states would depend on how the official felt about HMMWVs and MVs.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeadParrot For This Useful Post:

BKubu (08-10-2019), dxhend2 (08-11-2019), Reworked LMTV (08-10-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-10-2019), waayfast (08-11-2019)

Thanks

LOL When a Leftist goes to war....
    I just keeping getting a vision of a lifted 4WD Prius with an old Bernie Sticker with two skinny guys with beards hanging out the windows yelling "Pew! Pew! Pew! take that you non-politically correct war monger!"

Quote Originally Posted by 98G View Post
    I don't think so. Here's what I'm seeing -

For every MD or CO, we have an ID or TX. TX law explicitly provides for unrestricted titles and on road license plates for M998 HMMWVs that were sold with the offroad stamp....

Granted, the HMMWV sales greatly increased public awareness of the existence of military surplus vehicles. GP did a much better job advertising and expanded awareness.

But what we're seeing with these laws is just more of the culture war. The Left views the MV hobby as an activity of the right and wants to restrict or prohibit it merely as a means of throwing a rock at people they dont like.

Consider this - this single most important variable as to whether or not you'll get your MV titled and plated is who you get behind the counter at the DMV office. Get some leftist who doesn't think you should be permitted to have them and the answer is "NO!" even if black letter law clearly allows them. Conversely, consider all the MVs registered and titled in areas where DMV policy supposedly prohibits it...
    Last edited by Reworked LMTV; 08-10-2019 at 17:43.
    Remember that tiny cut you forgot about? Brake cleaner remembers.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reworked LMTV For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reworked LMTV View Post
    Interesting Avatar picture you have Wheelspinner. I believe that was the top secret invisible floating 5 ton suspension or you were visiting downtown Detroit.
    That was good old Georgia Rally red clay mud.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    "Be a person you would be proud to know"

1985 M1009 CUCV; 1991 Ford ME350A1; 1990 BMY M923A2; 1988 M1038 ; 1988 M998 (SOLD) ; 1994 M1078; 1995 M1088 (2 Parted Out); 1995 M1083; 1985 M35A2C-85K274 (SOLD)
    MEP803a; MEP802A; This space Reserved
    For best results, try not to do anything stupid.
    MVPA #29740

CANCER SUCKS, and that's all I got to say about that.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wheelspinner For This Useful Post:

dxhend2 (08-11-2019), TGP (IL) (08-13-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    When MV that were sold as off road only showed up on the market people had to find a loop hole and get a on road title. The efforts to get around the intent of the law has caused the law changes, and law changes will continue as long as people try to get around the intent of the law. Just my 2 cents.
    The problem is, their original claim Mil Veh are not up to standards is being deceptive. By their statement you would think mil veh are not safe to drive on public roads or autobahns, but vehicles that are designed and built to serve during WAR are built to a higher standard, just lacking the finery like sound proofing/heat insulation, as well as electronic amenities, when mostly they are only missing a tag light and automatic backup lights. My HMMWV is built tougher than any Prius or Fiat you see on the road, you just have trouble hearing the person next to you talking at a normal tone...

My theory is its progressives pushing an unofficial, ie, unlawful, environmental policy, as well as removing menacing (in their minds) vehicles off the roads, more progressives forcing their beliefs, their life choices and preferences on everybody else because they feel they have some sort of false moral superiority. And probably acting out of an assumption most Mil Vehicle owners are right-leaning, Conservative or Trump supporters so they feel they are fighting "impending ice age, no, global warming, no climate change, as well as punishing their political opposition. Example the Colorado law was originally supposed to be written to correct the actions taken by local DMV directors but in action, it kicked the policy decision down to the very local DMV directors that were acting beyond/outside the law to begin with, something they are supposed to be correcting this session.

My former mil vehicle club fought long and hard to get the original law passed by the Colorado State Legislature only to have bureaucrats years later acting beyond the law that was passed by due process.
    1995 M1025A2 Original 5SFG GMV ODA525 "Hammerhead"
    1987 M998 Helmethead to M1026/GMV conversion ODA525 "Mako"
    Wanted: M72A5/7/8/9 LAW & AT4 Tubes
    Santa Rosa County, FL

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crapgame For This Useful Post:

dxhend2 (08-18-2019), Reworked LMTV (08-17-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-17-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3