• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a Deuce: GL or Civilian?

Silence Dogood

Hello, everyone!

I am in the process of buying my first military vehicle, and think I'm gonna go with a Deuce. After viewing this site and the offers in the Classifieds page, as well as the stories of people dealing with the government in liquidations, I must ask for everyone's opinion: Is it better to buy a Deuce from the government, or rather one from a civilian? I can see that the government usually sells them for less than that of the civilian market, but I also am aware that civilians take care of their deuces better (usually). Am I correct in saying that the GL auctions are fairly competitive when it comes to getting the deuces?

Thank you for your time!

SD

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gov deals auctions seem to go the cheapest. It is all about location location location. We have a few about 3 hrs west of you in Cookeville. not for high prices. They are mostly surplus brush trucks just gone thru to eliminate the non running or other issues they may have been pulled from service or from simply sitting.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes is spot on, I did however buy my M35A2 truck from a surplus dealer out of NC & found him online while doing a search. Civilians do tend to care better care of their trucks & yes you will pay more, but most of the time you dont have to worry with doing a brake overhaul or wiring gremlins. I've been seeing them a lot lately on Craigslist & Facebook market too, I know I've bought a bunch of spare parts for my truck off both. Location, condition of truck & the amount of funds you're willing to spend on a truck are all big factors. I spent $4000 on my truck, but have dumped a good bit into it just because I wanted to make sure everything was good on it.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're buying an A3 I think it's probably a coin toss.

If you're interested in an A2, I would be pretty wary of GL. Most A2's left on military bases have been sitting, unused, in a back lot for some time now and unless you're a really good (or have a lot of time) as a mechanic it may not the best way to go.

If you're buying from someone on here, make sure they've been on the site a while to hedge your bet a little more. And like any used vehicle purchase, always be prepared to walk away if the deal seems wonky. I passed on 2 deuces, when the deals seemed really odd or downright dangerous before I found one a thousand miles away.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well GL is out of the vehicle business and finding a m35 on Govplanet is doubtful as most all of them have been sold surplus . If you are wanting a deuce, you pretty much are going to have buy it from an individual or dealer .

Another Ahab

I am in the process of buying my first military vehicle, and think I'm gonna go with a Deuce. After viewing this site and the offers in the Classifieds page, as well as the stories of people dealing with the government in liquidations, I must ask for everyone's opinion: Is it better to buy a Deuce from the government, or rather one from a civilian? I can see that the government usually sells them for less than that of the civilian market, but I also am aware that civilians take care of their deuces better (usually).
Like so many questions about anything, you hope for easy answers.

But you'll see from the responses that what you are asking (as legitimate as it is as a question), is like asking "How long is a piece of string?".

Always a pleasure to read the replies, though.

Your fourth post, kind of new to the site, so welcome from up here in Virginia.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Many put their heart sweat and tears into their truck and then for one reason or another must sell it.
That human would tell you more than you can find by yourself in just a few minutes, or even a few years.
An analogy is the study of all cars of all types in the Hemmings motor news.
Model T to present times, or even a Hupmobile.
They fixed every part of everything but now they have to sell it.
If you want a good vehicle to buy and drive just go talk to a SS member that is selling the truck
or whatever it is that you want.
All here in SS to help.

Humans used to buy Deuce and 5 tons for Just not much money then fixed them,
that is the guy you want to talk with.

Many posts in SS about what it really costs........... read the stickies.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Deuce

Last edited:

fasttruck

Military M35s as noted on post 5 have all been sold out by now. Buying a vehicle from a post military owner should bring with it a title with a VIN number that hopefully appears on the vehicle someplace. Post military owners are more likely than the military itself, to make various alterations and improvements that do not necessarily enhance the quality or reliability of the finished product. Changing from 24v to 12v, changing switches, different size tires are just some of the problems untrained personnel using unauthorized tools and parts can create. Beware of "farmer repaired" or "ran when parked." I bought a used M35A2 which was flatbedded home, inspected and required the following immediate action: 1) add gallon of oil to engine, 2) grease and lubricate everything, 3)replace car batteries with 6TLs, 4) install 2ea new front tires. If you buy a MV get or download the relevant publications: operator's manual, organizational manual, parts book and lubrication order. Don't make a move without the pubs. Most MVs have a data plate on the dashboard that lists the relevant publications.

Nomad1

fasttruck has some very good points but there are draw backs to both so if the truck has been change from stock look at the quality of those changes and why they were done and can they or should they be undone.

Doug Roberts

Gov Planet now handles the rolling stock , GL is done. It was said above, a M35 coming out of surplus now , has sat a good loing while. I'd focus on private owners selling one they have kept up. They are out there, so don't get into a hurry.

FloridaAKM

I have purchased two Deuces, one from a private individual from here on the board & one from GP off the lot. The Deuce from the individual was driven 430 miles home & the Deuce from the GP lot had to be towed home due a non running condition. There was a big difference in the trucks as far as condition & pricing. Unless you have owned a Deuce & are familiar with the upkeep & TM's, you are probably better off buying from a civilian owner who kept the rig stock & did the maintenance on it IMHO.

Another Ahab

Unless you have owned a Deuce & are familiar with the upkeep & TM's, you are probably better off buying from a civilian owner who kept the rig stock & did the maintenance on it IMHO.
There are SO many variables, and "IF'S".

- IF the maintenance WAS done, and

- IF the maintenance was done PROPERLY

Purchase of a used deuce, or anything similar, is always going to be a moving target of some kind, right?

AAA.gif

Last edited:

fasttruck

I only remember 1ea M35A2 going up on GP recently. It was without winch and described as nonoperational. This could mean anything from a dead battery (likely) to a rod through the block. And they got $7k for it. No title. go to MV with SF 97 and struggle. Guy in post 6 has one that runs and is titled for not too much more money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks