• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804A questions

MikeCas

Thanks guys. I think I am going to have to get one to work with and figure it out. If it won't make voltage to run the pump without problems, I will have to find a transformer. I know an electric motor shop guy who says he can help me with that if I need to go that way. Mike

MikeCas

Finally found a low-time 804b. Runs fine, makes power. I am still trying to figure out the voltage output. I have moved the terminal board to the 208-416 setting. With the voltage knob turned all the way up, I am getting 409 volts. From what I have learned here and from GMG specs for this generator the possible voltage range is 395-480 volts. I think I need at least 465-470 to run my pump motor. There is a voltage range adjustment on the voltage regulator behind the control panel but it looks like it has been painted to lock the adjustment. Can I use this to adjust the voltage to get into the range I need without causing problems somewhere, and if so, how? Mike

mcii

Remember please, on this unit there is an INTERIOR voltage decision that has to be made as well the link board, when I say interior, I am directing you to the control box settings inside/behind the fold down front display panel, this ALSO has to be set to the higher range voltage for everything to sync up. This should solve your voltage issues.

Caution please don't get hung up on rather or not your making 460 or 480 your pump will not care .. the neutral voltage will be 265/277 respectively to 460/480 or the Square root of of 3 divided into your 460/480 or whatever your line to line voltage turns out to be, this is where you see the 240/416 combination so often shown. NOTE: 240 is not a sum of 120 and 120 single phase as it is sometimes proffered.

In 3 phase voltage situations the Sq of 3 is 1.732 [rounded] this is why the sum of the 120 voltages make it 208 line to line and not 240. The caution here in this sequence if you turn up your L-L voltage to reach 240 you are also making near 138 neutral voltage and your 120 equipment will very likely go "poof" and all the smoke comes out of all your crap that is plugged in... let us know please ?? BEST: mac/mc

MikeCas

Thanks mac/mc. This well is in a remote location and is the only need for power. I don't have to worry about burning anything else up with L-N voltage. After reading the motor manual again, it says that voltage at the motor needs to be within 10% of nameplate voltage at the pump. Even considering voltage loss in 1,000' of 10ga pump cable I could probably get by with something less than 460v. But if I decrease the voltage I may increase the amperage too much which might not be good for the motor.

I thought there should be a way to increase the generator voltage. From what you are telling me, the voltage range adjustment on the regulator should do it. But when I looked behind the control panel I got intimidated by how much is back there and how complicated it looks. The voltage range adjustment is a fragile looking thing and it looks like it has been sealed to keep somebody like me from messing with it. I will give it a try. Thanks again, Mike

MikeCas

Tweaked the voltage range adjustment maybe 1/8 turn. Now the voltage can be adjusted to at least 480. Hooked up an old 5hp motor with no load on it, everything seems fine. Will try to pull it up to the well tomorrow. By the way, as mac/mc warned, the single phase voltages are not usable. The convenience receptacle measures 138v at 465v L-L. Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread to help me out. After we use it to pump for a while I should have some figures on fuel consumption. Thanks again. Mike

Last edited:

MikeCas

FYI for anybody interested-We have about 40 hrs. on the machine now. 464-465 volts, 5 hp 3 phase pump draws 7.8 amps. Load meter shows 40%. Fuel consumption is around 0.7 gallons/hour maybe a little less. Generator is lightly loaded, you can barely notice when the pump starts. Elevation is about 5200'. Don't know if that makes a difference in fuel consumption on a turbocharged engine or not. So far the 804b is great solution to our problem. Mike

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These new electronic controlled genny's, you dont hardly notice the change of load..ever. Even going for 0 load to 33kw on a 30kw was just an ever so subtle change of tone. You will be very happy.

bgoebel

Hi Fellas, I'm having trouble with an 804A that i described in another thread earlier today. Mike, i am also in NM, northeastern, south of Raton. Anyone have any advice? Please check out my post on 804A no/low voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks