• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tire pressure do you use in M1078 ?

M1078hispeed

I have a M1078 that i have deactivated the @#$%# CTIS on for now.
I use the vehicle mostly on hard pack dirt/ some gravel and some pavement
and loads range from zero to maximum of a ton
My question is what do any of you guys leave your tire pressure at ?
currently i have been running it at 55 to 60 lbs?
If i am going on a long pavement trip (over 10 miles) i add air but otherwise have just been leaving tires at 55 to 60 lbs.
I would really welcome any thoughts, ideas , experiences or comments any body has .

Thanx much

Ronmar

What tires do you have Michelin XML’s or Goodyear MVT’s?

Here is a link to the goodyear military tire brochure. It has inflation and speeds listed. You will need to see if you have loadrange G or L, probably G, mine are G’s The chart is a little hard to follow so I attached a screenshot of page 4 and circled the MVT pressures. Note that goodyear considers 55PSI a crosscountry pressure on the MVT:)

you should be able to search up the same thing for Michelins if you have those...

https://gov.goodyear.com/docs/military/military_tire_brochure.pdf

28126962-95C5-484F-AD9B-6215ECCE02C1.jpg

M1078hispeed

Goodyear load range G

Ronmar, Thanks man ! I am running Goodyears and they are the G range .

Side note for what its worth: i just recently replaced the old Goodyears with brand new ones the reasons being:
1. old tires Date of manufacture was from 2003 to 2006 and they were showing some weather checking and tread depth was down to about 30 to 35% of original
2. the tires were dried out and elasticity was to the point where i could not really depend on them not to split/crack at low pressure settings in rock and rough terrain
3. Had a couple golf ball sized chunks of rubber missing in two tires
4. the kicker: A couple months ago I was in the Mohave desert and blew out sidewall on front passenger side tire it was nice and Sunny , 104 degrees at noon ( there was no shade anywhere )and I had to change that pig by myself , Thank god i remembered to pack a 5' ft hunk of pipe that sleeves over handle on my 3/4" breaker bar . Anyway Right then and there i decided i was gonna replace the tires soon as i got home to Iowa :p

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Side note for what its worth: i just recently replaced the old Goodyears with brand new ones the reasons being:
1. old tires Date of manufacture was from 2003 to 2006 and they were showing some weather checking and tread depth was down to about 30 to 35% of original
2. the tires were dried out and elasticity was to the point where i could not really depend on them not to split/crack at low pressure settings in rock and rough terrain
4. the kicker: A couple months ago I was in the Mohave desert and blew out sidewall on front passenger side tire it was nice and Sunny , 104 degrees at noon ( there was no shade anywhere )and I had to change that pig by myself , Thank god i remembered to pack a 5' ft hunk of pipe that sleeves over handle on my 3/4" breaker bar . Anyway Right then and there i decided i was gonna replace the tires soon as i got home to Iowa :p
Invest in a torque multiplier. Or a decent electric impact to save your self some wear and tear.

With lots of road driving the LMTVs will eat up tires. Pretty easily so be prepared to do it often if you plan on long trips

Play with your tire pressure. Based on what your load is as well as road conditions it can vary from 10lbs that someone else runs. I mean a fully loaded 1079 will want to run about 80 or so compared to an empty 1078 I would run 60 in the front and 40 in the rear

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just run the 55PSI from the CTIS controller.

Here is a link to the goodyear military tire brochure. ... The chart is a little hard to follow...
The chart is supposed to be a booklet, so the two pages go side by side. I put them together a while back, since I don't care about anything else in the pamphlet.

Goodyear MV-T 395-85R20 Info.jpg

TGeorge

Goodyear load range G

Does nobody else pack an air impact for tire work? Your driving a 6 cylinder diesel air compressor around after all. ;)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does nobody else pack an air impact for tire work? Your driving a 6 cylinder diesel air compressor around after all. ;)
I usually have one in the truck, yes, but it uses up a lot of air, so it drains the tanks and then you wait for it to refill.

Instead of the impact gun, consider a torque multiplier plus a ratchet. The torque multiplier will let you loosen (or tighten) anything, and then the ratchet (or crossbar) can spin off the loose nut/bolt.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 85 psi daily on my brand new Goodyear MV/T's. Currently CTIS is disconnected awaiting hub seals and new wheel valves but I did already reprogram my (factory) controller to run 85 psi on HWY mode. Higher pressure cuts down on heat and these tires are rated for 95 psi. With the CTIS working it will adjust the tire pressure on long drives as the air in them heats up, etc but without it in play I would recommend 85 psi cold - it will rise with temperature.

RRaulston

I do. I crack them loose with the IR 3/4" plumed into my air tank. Once loose, I spin them off with the 1/2" battery impact. The hardest part I think is aligning the studs to match the CTIS...Someone made a twin roller plate so you can rotate the tire in place to align it up. I need that!

TGeorge

Invest in a torque multiplier. Or a decent electric impact to save your self some wear and tear.

With lots of road driving the LMTVs will eat up tires. Pretty easily so be prepared to do it often if you plan on long trips

Play with your tire pressure. Based on what your load is as well as road conditions it can vary from 10lbs that someone else runs. I mean a fully loaded 1079 will want to run about 80 or so compared to an empty 1078 I would run 60 in the front and 40 in the rear
I've always wanted a torque multiplier. I have some heavy equipment with huge nuts and bolts that can be a er, ah, well challenge at times. Good call.

coachgeo

I am chiming in only because I have a special circumstance and I like being a six-sigma out there kinda guy. I will be running pressure between zero and 5 psi ;)View attachment 894182
Olly get that thing going, put a tow boom on back.. practice towing things off road a lot.... work to get invited to next years off road Wrecker Games!!!!! Be great competition with the MORR truck

therealquaid

I run 85 psi daily on my brand new Goodyear MV/T's. Currently CTIS is disconnected awaiting hub seals and new wheel valves but I did already reprogram my (factory) controller to run 85 psi on HWY mode. Higher pressure cuts down on heat and these tires are rated for 95 psi. With the CTIS working it will adjust the tire pressure on long drives as the air in them heats up, etc but without it in play I would recommend 85 psi cold - it will rise with temperature.
How much does your truck weigh and how does it feel at that higher psi?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks