• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 Saurer 6dm overland vehicle

Grenadiers

Just joined the group, looking for hints and help on our Swiss MV when we need it. Also, have read a few articles on MV in general. Complicated vehicle don’t want to make mistakes!!

We bought our Saurer from a Swiss couple in May of 2017, while they were touring the Americas. Through the Denver Craigslist actually. The husband hurt his knee and couldn’t get in the truck anymore. We bought it through Swiss Army Vehicles in Fayetteville, AR. They had it inspected, titled and licensed there. I drove it back to Prescott, AR where we lived at the time and registered it there. We moved back to NW Wisconsin and have titled it here.

If there’s any interest, have tons of photos and tech information on the truck and cabin on the back! I don’t see a photo option at the moment, when I do I’ll post some pics. Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, Dave :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

As for posting pics, here's an assist, Sir......

In the REPLY box, look at the toolbar at the top. to the right of those icons you will see one that look s a bit like a picture frame. By hovering your cursor over each one, the icon's function will be shown. The "picture frame" will display "INSERT IMAGE". Click on it. then just follow the prompts. It's pretty simple from there.

Hope that helps.

Again, WELCOME ! ! !

John
SS Chaplain

CMPPhil

Welcome aboard to the wonderful world of Odd MVs

Hello To the Grenadiers Welcome to the world of Odd MVs, owning a uncommon vehicle is great fun, you always get to stand out. Drive and enjoy, from New Hampshire. Cheers Phil

Grenadiers

We’re selling our overland vehicle. If anyone is interested, give me a shout on my email address. grenadiers715 @ Gmail . com. Thanks . Will provide a ton more information and pics.

Grenadiers

We’re selling our overland vehicle. If anyone is interested, give me a shout on my email address. grenadiers715 @ Gmail . com. Thanks . Will provide a ton more information and pics.

Well, Covid is not helping interest in our vehicle, so we decided to keep it for now. Question, on the way back from Baja this past April, the front output seal on the transfer case failed, and the 125mm caged bearing disintegrated. Had to load the vehicle on a drive-on flat bed and have hauled back to our place in wisconsin. $3000 and two days later, it arrived!

I was able to procure the correct bearing and seal locally, and installed them myself, not much fun there, btw~! Now, I'm interested in some advice on what gear oil to use for the transfer case. I've read reports here on Sta-Lube 85-90w GL-4 for older (1985 for us), for high temperature applications. Well, I bought three gallons, and says right on the back, for light-duty use! But recommended for Buses, Differentials, Trucks, etc. A bit confused now.

The t-case on the Saurer gets very hot, we can put 3-400 miles a day on the truck, at 50mph, driving to Baja and back. The bearing lasted 35 years, so maybe I'm over-reacting! Thanks, Dave.

roverchef

I saw you had this over on EXPO also. Glad and Sad for you. If you do still have it and are looking for a fluid that takes the place of gear oil for "High" heat applications whether transmission, transfer box, differentials, or even portal boxes I would recommend Redline 75W250. Works great for things with "yellow"metals in them. I've used it in hundreds of different applications for clients and personal use over the last few decades with zero issues. Only thing you'll notice it the temperature drop and the noise level will both go down.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, Covid is not helping interest in our vehicle, so we decided to keep it for now. Question, on the way back from Baja this past April, the front output seal on the transfer case failed, and the 125mm caged bearing disintegrated. Had to load the vehicle on a drive-on flat bed and have hauled back to our place in wisconsin. $3000 and two days later, it arrived!

I was able to procure the correct bearing and seal locally, and installed them myself, not much fun there, btw~! Now, I'm interested in some advice on what gear oil to use for the transfer case. I've read reports here on Sta-Lube 85-90w GL-4 for older (1985 for us), for high temperature applications. Well, I bought three gallons, and says right on the back, for light-duty use! But recommended for Buses, Differentials, Trucks, etc. A bit confused now.

The t-case on the Saurer gets very hot, we can put 3-400 miles a day on the truck, at 50mph, driving to Baja and back. The bearing lasted 35 years, so maybe I'm over-reacting! Thanks, Dave.
The thing about these trucks is the drive shafts need to be properly indexed. A lot of that comes from whomever removes the drive shafts. Then there are the other bunch who install the shaft that is laying on the bed of the truck when GP auctions them off. Balancing drive shafts is a plus. The little metal weight on the side of the metal tube could have been knocked off - laying around in the truck bed and rolling around. Your failed bearing could have been the result of an out of balance drive shaft.

Grease is another thing. Parts are really expensive and grease - not so much. It would take you an entire day to grease everything on the truck if you have never done it before.

Gear Oil: 80/90 or 85/90 whichever should work. Proper amount. Up to the fill hole - and with no water in the case. Not being a smart asprin, but did you check the gear oil before you hit the road? All the gearboxes?

Hate that you had to haul her home. Hopefully you can get it squared away soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks