• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R22 air conditioner refrigerant options

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Have a few r22 air conditioners. I have seen a few different "drop in" replacements advertised. Saw some say you can use r407c. Not my area of expertise. Any recommendations?
Will

Guyfang

Staff member
The army used R407C. Its best to pump it down, remove the R22 and then replace the filter. Then recharge with 407C. You can not mix them.

Guyfang

Staff member
Will,

This is from someone I call Obi Wan. He is the last word on things like this in the military. This is take it to the bank info.

R22 Question. Simple, you DON’T. NEVER replace R22 in a system with R407C like Toby, (Tobyhanna) tried to do with the DRASH units. Refrigerant and all oils have to be changed. Just go to Getronics or DuPont and it is all there. If you don’t (there is always oils left) the mix creates an acid that in about a year you will be changing the compressor. It eats F type insulation. You never get all the oils out no matter how hard you try. There is always the lucky ones though. Better: Deep vacuum, 300-500 microns, then charge the system with about the same amount of R438a, no nothing else. So far it is running about 96-98% charge by weight of R438a for what was R22. Direct drop in and so far no bad results. ASAALT and EPA seem to believe this stuff is a good drop in replacement. R438 is expensive as they want to make money. Imagine a 200 Lb charge in a department store.

Pink is my add in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks