• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MTVR today?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_3257.JPG photo from the Georgia Rally, also began installing an ac kit on the truck today and have another kit for sale IMG_3293.jpg

Navy dude

I can't wait to post something here. Unfortunately after several EUC follow ups over the course of 2 months and assurances that all was well I received an email that my EUC paperwork was blurry, must resubmit. So, I did and actually got feedback that it was good this time. Waiting commencing. Again.

Efituned

I can't wait to post something here. Unfortunately after several EUC follow ups over the course of 2 months and assurances that all was well I received an email that my EUC paperwork was blurry, must resubmit. So, I did and actually got feedback that it was good this time. Waiting commencing. Again.
I am in the same boat. Was told that my paper work was submitted. Waited a month called again to find out it wasn't and that my address on my DL didn't match what I put down on the EUC.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT NEWS! My EUC finally cleared and so I am preparing to go and get my truck. It is by Barstow CA and I called the yard and they seemed nice. The yard is open from 7am till 3pm and they said come anytime. I asked if I could take some time to work on the truck and they said that was fine but I still needed to leave at 3pm. I plan to drive it from Yermo to SLC by way of I-15 with my son driving a support vehicle. I feel a lot better after hearing about Elijah95's trip. I hope my trip goes as smooth!

Also, a big thanks to MAdams for the heater switch tip. My truck's heater is listed as not working so I hope it is just the switch. It is like 27 degrees here in Utah.

I made an appointment with CA DMV after hearing horror stories about waiting for hours. I need to get a trip permit. I really hope they do not need to look at the truck for a trip permit. The DMV office in Barstow is in a little strip mall and I am SURE the truck would take out a few cars with me driving it. It is just so big and I have never driven one before so, well, let's hope I don't need to drive it in that little parking lot.

I will be sure to post information and photos of all the stuff going on so whoever is next to pick up their truck can learn from my mistakes.

MAdams

That's awesome! A few common issues I've seen so far with the trucks coming out of Barstow are:
1. The front hubs have water in them. See the videos I have posted.
2. The air dryer purge valve seems to stick open and drain air. This can be temporarily fixed with adding a small rubber washer stacked in top of the existing
3. They are almost all out of fuel. Plan on hitting the truck stop fuel station about 1/2 a mile East on Outer Highway Rd
4. Heater switch. The local O'reilys should have one. You'll need a small flat head screw driver to remove the push pin clips, then a 14mm socket to remove the nut on the switch.

The guys at the yard can be cool. If you go at noon they'll all be gone at lunch. Take your paperwork to the metal building and ring the bell. Do not go into the yard past the barbed wire fence. They get all pissy if you walk in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEvHDaweP8&t=12s

2019-10-19 08.47.36.jpg
This was AFTER my 1st drain/refill. The 1st time I drained it, pure water came out

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made it from Yermo to SLC. It was crazy! I got 5.7 MPG so not as good as Elijah95 but I think it is OK. We had a bunch of issues and so the last 23 hours we were up straight. BUT we did make it and the truck ran fine. My son, Jason, fixed the heater according to MAdams instructions and I AM VERY GLAD he did because once we got to Utah, it was rain, sleet, and snow. I will start a new thread about the trip.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Happy New Years y’all, after some careful diagnostics and help from Micah & Jon, I finally restored CTIS to operable condition and managed to get High Idle functioning.

I’m working on a little write up, and going to publish another video covering that, as well as a walk around of the finished AC installation

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to know how to fix the fast idle. When I flip my switch, the light comes on for fast idle, but the idle stays the same.

MAdams

Eli, can't wait for the video.

My high idle works some of the time. A way to verify that the switch and computer are working is to rev the engine to approx 1000 rpm and hold it, turn the switch on and see if the rpm drops. It should drop about 100 rpm.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eli, can't wait for the video.

My high idle works some of the time. A way to verify that the switch and computer are working is to rev the engine to approx 1000 rpm and hold it, turn the switch on and see if the rpm drops. It should drop about 100 rpm.

MAdams,

I tried your test on my truck and after I pushed the switch and let the accelerator go, the RPMs dropped back down to normal. The High RPM switch was on and the light was on. So the High Idle does not work on my truck. I wish it did because it is COLD here.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled my seats out of the "trunk" and put them in. It took me 3 hours to get the seats out of the storage because they were really jammed in there. Plus who ever put them in there did not leave the rope in there to pull them out. So I was crawling under the truck trying to free them up. Anyway, I finally got them out and installed.

I also put 303 on some of the tires because it helps them last longer and makes them look better too.

IMG_20200111_110806.jpg

IMG_20200111_110833.jpg

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH! I forgot to mention that if you are missing the bows, you can use 3/4 inch Schedule 40 PVC instead. I was missing one bow and I wanted something there while I round up another one and so I cut a piece of PVC 73 inches long and it fits perfect into the staves corner.

IMG_20200111_134825.jpg

IMG_20200111_171802.jpg

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And another thing I did, was repair the cargo cover I got used. The cover looks good on the truck but there were some areas that were thin and also there were some small holes. So I used the spray rubber stuff to fill in the thin areas and I sprayed a bunch on the holes so that water will not get in. I used Flexseal but Henry's and Rustoleum also make it.

_20200104_151722.jpg

MAdams

Jon you're on a roll!

On the rpm test. Rev to 1500 and hold it there, then activate the switch while still holding the rpm at 1500. It should drop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks