• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starter still sticking.

kallisti5

Anyone have any guesses why the starter on my M1009 *still* sticks? I've already swapped the starter for a new 24v one, done the doghead relay mod, swapped the neutral switch on the top of the steering column, and tested the batteries.
I gotta drive her 400 Miles next weekend, and don't want to get stuck at any gas stations. Generally i'll turn her over, hear a simple click without any rotation. Key off, wait 2-3 seconds, try again. It normally starts at this point (lately). Maybe happens one out of every ten starts.

It *has* stuck worse in the past, and i've had to crawl under the truck and tap the starter. Not sure if it helped but it generally started after that.

My only thoughts left are:
  • It's missing the support bracket on the back of the starter. I got one, but haven't tried to fit it yet. (not sure if the M1009 even had one originally though)
  • The housing the starter is held in is cracked per my transmission work thread, but not enough i'd think to cause it to not crank.
  • Maybe the ignition switch?

IMG_20190731_181553.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any guesses why the starter on my M1009 *still* sticks? I've already swapped the starter for a new 24v one, done the doghead relay mod, swapped the neutral switch on the top of the steering column, and tested the batteries.
I gotta drive her 400 Miles next weekend, and don't want to get stuck at any gas stations. Generally i'll turn her over, hear a simple click without any rotation. Key off, wait 2-3 seconds, try again. It normally starts at this point (lately). Maybe happens one out of every ten starts.

It *has* stuck worse in the past, and i've had to crawl under the truck and tap the starter. Not sure if it helped but it generally started after that.

My only thoughts left are:
  • It's missing the support bracket on the back of the starter. I got one, but haven't tried to fit it yet. (not sure if the M1009 even had one originally though)
  • The housing the starter is held in is cracked per my transmission work thread, but not enough i'd think to cause it to not crank.
  • Maybe the ignition switch?

View attachment 772910

Without the support bracket you risk snapping the other bolts that hold it to the block . Have you checked to see if they are loose from not having the bracket on ?
Did you shim it correctly ? No way would I take it on a 400 mile trip without putting the support bracket on FIRST.

All CUCV's use the support bracket , sounds like it's time to open the TM's for the correct procedures on installing a starter.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Install support bracket ASAP!
One good pothole and your starter will be hanging down from the wires.
Busted block and/or snapped starter bolts will result.
Also do not reuse the starter bolts.
They are one time use only.
ACDelco still makes them and their not expensive at all.

Install the support and see if problem still persists.

Terracoma

my only thoughts left are:
  • it's missing the support bracket on the back of the starter. I got one, but haven't tried to fit it yet. (not sure if the m1009 even had one originally though)

It's a very common problem to have a missing starter support bracket. As was noted by the guys above, all CUCVs should have the bracket... If you're missing the bolt that threads into the engine block side of the bracket, you should be able to pick up a 9.8 or 10.9 bolt at ACE Hardware, Tractor Supply, Fastenal, etc, to fit the application. I'd recommend either a flange head bolt, or a regular hex head bolt with a hardened washer.

Here are the specs on the bolt itself:

NSN 5306-01-165-5583; GM 14060613

M8-1.25; Class 9.8; 20mm overall length; 16.25 thread length

StarterBracketBolt.jpg

kallisti5

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. I'll cobble something together asap. I didn't know about the "not reusing the starter bolts" thing, i'll get some new ones.
Snapped some quick pictures. I replaced the current starter in a field.. luckily I have a garage now which makes things a bit easier :)

IMG_20190810_094443.jpg

IMG_20190810_094515.jpg

I wonder if the stress is what cracked the bottom housing of the flywheel?

nyoffroad

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. I'll cobble something together asap. I didn't know about the "not reusing the starter bolts" thing, i'll get some new ones.
Snapped some quick pictures. I replaced the current starter in a field.. luckily I have a garage now which makes things a bit easier :)

View attachment 772920

View attachment 772921

I wonder if the stress is what cracked the bottom housing of the flywheel?
Nope, that was caused by getting high centered or getting picked up by a fork lift or a jack, I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as it doesn't hit the torque converter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks