• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So new 1971 Deuce delivered today. No spare, odd size tires on it.

benhasajeep

So, the new to us Deuce was delivered today. I thought it had regular G177 11 r20's on it. But it actually has G177 10 r20's on it. Now they are absolutely as new as you can get. But I have been searching and searching for one to buy as a spare with no luck. Found a similar Firestone in 10 r20 from a tire store that says out of stock. Goodyear nor Firestone lists those tires in that size on their sites any longer.

Suggestions? Again the 10 that are on it are very very fresh tires (very little use).

Ah just realized it's important to search 1000 r20. Not 10!

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than a spare of the same diameter I would not worry too much about an exact match. Many tire places have ok takeoffs that are still suitable as spares.

Nomad1

So does that mean it has room for tire chains on all the tires?I heard 11x20 don't give you enough room in the rear. Any picture of the new old Deuce?
So, the new to us Deuce was delivered today. I thought it had regular G177 11 r20's on it. But it actually has G177 10 r20's on it. Now they are absolutely as new as you can get. But I have been searching and searching for one to buy as a spare with no luck. Found a similar Firestone in 10 r20 from a tire store that says out of stock. Goodyear nor Firestone lists those tires in that size on their sites any longer.

Suggestions? Again the 10 that are on it are very very fresh tires (very little use).

Ah just realized it's important to search 1000 r20. Not 10!

Katahdin

I think you have a very rare tire size/tread combo. I suggest checking the DOT date code to find out how old they are, those probably haven't been in production for awhile, or for very long.

Simpletire.com has a large selection of 10.00-20s, but I don't think you'll find an exact match anywhere unless its used and/or at a salvage yard.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can buy "coal field" tires new
https://www.grahamtire.com/tires/view/44162/goodyear-g177-10-00r20/

Goodyear Part #: 138377231
TIRE SIZE: 10R20
LOAD INDEX: 68
LOAD RANGE: H

G177 10 r20
$524.22 - Goodyear G177 10.00/R-20 tires | Buy Goodyear G177 tires ...
https://simpletire.com › All Brands › Goodyear
Rating: 4 - ‎1 review - ‎Free
Designed for on or off road conditions, G177 tires from Goodyear provide a tough, rugged exterior and long lasting tread features. With a heavy duty rubber compound and reinforced casing, G177 tires can handle extreme off-roading conditions as well as daily over the road driving.

Do the pumps for fires work on that truck?

Last edited:

Nomad1

I have used them to buy tires from a few times and they were great!
I think you have a very rare tire size/tread combo. I suggest checking the DOT date code to find out how old they are, those probably haven't been in production for awhile, or for very long.

Simpletire.com has a large selection of 10.00-20s, but I don't think you'll find an exact match anywhere unless its used and/or at a salvage yard.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ben....One of the guys that bought (2) 5 tons from me traded 6 of them in Firestone on 6 lug bud rims. Two of the rims had less offset and must have been front. Tires were old but in great shape.

When M105's were plentiful from GL I bought several that had new 9.00 on them. I put the new 9.00 on my boomtruck and sent 3 M105's out with the 10.00, explaining the switch to the new owner about the cherry, rebuilt trailer (I wish I had extra of today) having a 10.00 not 9.00.

Yo won't have any trouble locating a spare. Or go to my fav....11.00 on the rear duals and 365/80r20 on A3 rims for steer tires. But do a caster mod if you do bigger flotation on the front.

benhasajeep

Can buy "coal field" tires new

Goodyear Part #: 138377231
TIRE SIZE: 10R20
LOAD INDEX: 68
LOAD RANGE: H

G177 10 r20
$524.22 - Goodyear G177 10.00/R-20 tires | Buy Goodyear G177 tires ...
https://simpletire.com › All Brands › Goodyear
Rating: 4 - ‎1 review - ‎Free
Designed for on or off road conditions, G177 tires from Goodyear provide a tough, rugged exterior and long lasting tread features. With a heavy duty rubber compound and reinforced casing, G177 tires can handle extreme off-roading conditions as well as daily over the road driving.

Do the pumps for fires work on that truck?

I found those links to the tire. Graham tire says to call for availability. Simple tire says out of stock. Firestone has similar model, but says out of stock as well. The pump was a portable gas powered unit. And was removed by the fire department before they sold it. Same with hoses, and a hose box. There were 4 extra red lights added (2 in grill, 2 on cowl). They were just un-wired in the cab. By law they have to be changed from Red or removed (no blue either). We will take the tank and little plumbing out. Looks like just 6 bolts securing it to the bed.

Last edited:

benhasajeep

I don't want to change tire size yet. These literally still have the extra rubber by some of the mold lines. 99% new. I am having more luck now that I realized it's important to use either 10.00 or 1000 in the search. That made a big difference in finding any tire in that size. I may not get the Goodyear or Firestone dual use tread tires as both their websites have zero info on them any more. But any will do for a spare. If we get to point of having to buy after these wear down / out. Will probably go to 11 r20's.

benhasajeep

So was fire truck that could be a plus as far it was cared for. Do you plan keeping it set up with the tank?
The truck is absolutely clean. Even has fitted red carpet in the cab. Top is perfect. About the only thing that is not working is the air horn. The extra red lights (4) were un-wired in the cab. We will be taking the tank off. Might keep the tool boxes on the bed. Not sure yet. The right side of the cargo bed is 85% there. But the Left side 95% of it was cut away. Not sure if we will weld back in what was cut out. Or cut the rest out for a flat bed. We will be keeping it red (so far anyway). We have to remove the "Fire Dept" from the doors. The hood has a big black F1 on it. Might go all red (hood and windshield frame (inside windshield and interior is red as well). Even soft top bows are red.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The right side of the cargo bed is 85% there. But the Left side 95% of it was cut away. Not sure if we will weld back in what was cut out. Or cut the rest out for a flat bed.
Consider making it a dropside, at least on the left. All the bed itself needs is five hinges welded to it. Any fab shop can easily make those for you and weld them on, as well as a piece of angle iron in the front, with a slot for the dropside bed to lock to. Get a dropside bed side so they can use it as a template to place the hinges and the lock plate. The hinges take a 5/8 in pin or bolt.

dropside hinges.jpg

Last edited:

benhasajeep

Consider making it a dropside, at least on the left. All the bed itself needs is five hinges welded to it. Any fab shop can easily make those for you and weld them on, as well as a piece of angle iron in the front, with a slot for the dropside bed to lock to. Get a dropside bed side so they can use it as a template to place the hinges and the lock plate. The hinges take a 5/8 in pin or bolt.

View attachment 773045
Would love a drop side, even on 1 side. Would have best of both worlds then. I have welders and such at home. Would do the welding myself. But a flat bed with stake pockets would be just as good for me. Forgot to mention, it has no tailgate either. So, leaning towards flat bed with stake pockets. I did see I think it was Eastern had full beds including drop sides for about $1,200.

davidb56

I don't want to change tire size yet. These literally still have the extra rubber by some of the mold lines. 99% new. I am having more luck now that I realized it's important to use either 10.00 or 1000 in the search. That made a big difference in finding any tire in that size. I may not get the Goodyear or Firestone dual use tread tires as both their websites have zero info on them any more. But any will do for a spare. If we get to point of having to buy after these wear down / out. Will probably go to 11 r20's.
If you go with the 11/20's like mine, you can only chain the outside duals, and the front tires. There is not enough clearance to run 3T or singles on the inside.

benhasajeep

Ordered a NOS rim. Local truck tire place can oder a fairly agressive comparable tire to the G177's in 10.00 r20. $350 For it, but need to carry propper sized spare. So guess I will order it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks