• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So new 1971 Deuce delivered today. No spare, odd size tires on it.

fasttruck

If you getting a spare make sure you have 2ea right front lug nuts to secure it in the carrier. I bought a used M35A2 for which the PO had obtained a spare. Then he got some hardware store nuts to secure it to the carrier. The threads matched but it required a smaller wrench to turn them. If you are planning to used the issue lug wrench for this make sure the correct nuts are there. At least I figured this out before I got stranded someplace with a flat because I couldn't get the nuts off the studs on the carrier. The issue wrenches come in various lengths so make sure yours is short enough to fit between the carrier and the underside of the body.

benhasajeep

If you getting a spare make sure you have 2ea right front lug nuts to secure it in the carrier. I bought a used M35A2 for which the PO had obtained a spare. Then he got some hardware store nuts to secure it to the carrier. The threads matched but it required a smaller wrench to turn them. If you are planning to used the issue lug wrench for this make sure the correct nuts are there. At least I figured this out before I got stranded someplace with a flat because I couldn't get the nuts off the studs on the carrier. The issue wrenches come in various lengths so make sure yours is short enough to fit between the carrier and the underside of the body.
Unfortunately, the Fire Tanker conversion removed the spare tire carrier. They had a gas powered pump in that location. Not sure what I am going to actually do with the spare. I have not measured, but don't think a spare will fit where they had the pump. There is channel from the bed coming down to support a frame where the pump was. Have not decided what to do there. It's actually a good solid structure to enclose with some sheet metal. And make a locking box??

fasttruck

Did the fire department scrap the original spare tire carrier that mounted to the frame between the tool box and intermediate axle ? It is much kinder to the back than a mount in the cargo body ala M54/813. Did the fire department ever go near this thing with a grease gun ? Some of them are allergic to grease on their niece clean parade ready chassis. Like a M37, lubrication is the key to survival especially in steering a vehicle without power steering.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run duals on the rears you do not really need to carry a spare. Just take one of the rears if you need to replace a tire up front to get you where you need to go.

benhasajeep

Did the fire department scrap the original spare tire carrier that mounted to the frame between the tool box and intermediate axle ? It is much kinder to the back than a mount in the cargo body ala M54/813. Did the fire department ever go near this thing with a grease gun ? Some of them are allergic to grease on their niece clean parade ready chassis. Like a M37, lubrication is the key to survival especially in steering a vehicle without power steering.
Yes, the conversion to tanker removed everything where the spare would go. Actually this truck was well maintained. It may have done more "parade" duty than fire duty. As the tires are 14 years old but barely used. And they are not a "normal" surplus sized tire. So, I don't think they were sitting surplus then put on years later.

Nomad1

So did they weld part of it to the frame like they did on mine? I plan on putting a spare tire back there at some point. The orginal spare tire carry bolt holes are still there but I have to make sure that a 11.00 x 20 tire will fit. I think it will. Welding part of the bracket to part of the frame was the incorrect way to do that in my opinion. I will have to cut it off and l leave a bit of the weld to not effect the frame negitively.
Unfortunately, the Fire Tanker conversion removed the spare tire carrier. They had a gas powered pump in that location. Not sure what I am going to actually do with the spare. I have not measured, but don't think a spare will fit where they had the pump. There is channel from the bed coming down to support a frame where the pump was. Have not decided what to do there. It's actually a good solid structure to enclose with some sheet metal. And make a locking box??

Nomad1

That would work if don't want to use all your bed. As for me because of my plans putting the tire in the bed won't work but would be just the ticket for others [thumbzup]
Put the little generator where the spare was and put the spare up by the cab in the bed

benhasajeep

So did they weld part of it to the frame like they did on mine? I plan on putting a spare tire back there at some point. The orginal spare tire carry bolt holes are still there but I have to make sure that a 11.00 x 20 tire will fit. I think it will. Welding part of the bracket to part of the frame was the incorrect way to do that in my opinion. I will have to cut it off and l leave a bit of the weld to not effect the frame negitively.
I am not home at the moment. But if I remember right, they tied it into the cargo bed, and into the drivers side step structure. I do not believe they welded it to the frame. Also where the tool box would be under the drivers door. There is a gasoline tank that steps were built into, to supply the gas powered pump. It's actually a very good gas tank / extra step. Not sure what to do with it either. Could carry a gas generator on the truck?? I would estimate is a 6-7 gallon sized tank.

Nomad1

Sounds like the tank and step would be handy. My vote is keep it.
I am not home at the moment. But if I remember right, they tied it into the cargo bed, and into the drivers side step structure. I do not believe they welded it to the frame. Also where the tool box would be under the drivers door. There is a gasoline tank that steps were built into, to supply the gas powered pump. It's actually a very good gas tank / extra step. Not sure what to do with it either. Could carry a gas generator on the truck?? I would estimate is a 6-7 gallon sized tank.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could convert to diesel, and use it as an aux tank. Pipe it with a small pump, to pump into the main tank??
Don't know your long term plans, but with that extra tank, you could convert it to diesel and put in a dual fuel switch. Start/finish on diesel and put something else (used motor oil) in the main tank.

And we're getting way off topic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks