• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shifting problems

simoncrk

Hey GuysNeed some help please....I’ve posted about this before but couldn’t find it. Haven’t posted on SS in a while. Sorry....I’ve got a 1985 M1038, 6.2 L, 3L80 Turbo 400 Transmission Problem: when in “D” on the shifter, under normal acceleration, the transmission shifts into 2nd gear at 25 mph, then into 3rd at 45 mph! And when you crowd in take off, it’s worse.That little 6.2 is wound tighter than a nine day clock when she shifts! 😂Things I’ve tried are:Checked oil level while running, it was good level, clean, and no burnt smell,Pull pan, drain oil (very clean and pretty red) change out old filter for a new one (it was clean also), install new gasket and oil.Changed the MECHANICAL shift modulator for a brand new one (no vac lines,I actually had 2 guys get in an argument about it having vac lines on some FB group)I ordered a brand new shift governor and replaced it. The old one was in good shape, it wasn’t shaped like an eaten apple coreWent through the TM’s until I’m blind.....Anybody got any ideas???I’m at a loss.Thank you for any help.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not sure I understand this part of your Q. > transmission shifts into 2nd gear at 25 mph, then into 3rd at 45 mph! And when you crowd in take off, it’s worse.

No guarantee but something to check. Kick-down switch / solenoid circuit. ???

Most neglected switch, hiding out on the right side of injector pump. If it is sticky, rusted up, loose, misaligned, worn out, stuck closed, intermittently sticking closed at anything BUT just before WOT, transmission will not find third and a hard time second gear. Engine will run-up to the max before ??? something lets loose with a bang or someone let's loose with WTF now is going on.

This switch also drives the TDM circuit for cooling / fan disengage.

Worn out / intermittent are the clue words. These old trucks with old parts, dried up rubber parts and driven thru water (salt?) can make for troubles. Just look at the bell housing of transmission to all the crud and oxides. YEP, lead a hard life.

Anything new on mine, I put it on, CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks