• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Starter issues

RoJoGro

[HR][/HR]When starting the Unimog very frequently (4 out of 5 times) I am getting just a glonking sound, seems the solenoid is not engaging fully and the starter motor would not turn.
At first I thought it was a grounding issue, since I installed a new (rebuild) starter, but now after the same issue remains with very good grounding (and jumper wires connected too) I am ruling out that there is a grounding issue.
It all depends on which position the flywheel stops. if it's a bad spot I am getting this glonking sound. If I keep hitting the starter (I actually use a small jumper to eliminate the wiring to the starter) often enough (10+ times) it may turn normally - but that's not reliable.
What does work is when I am turning the flywheel just a bit - maybe 1/2 a tooth.
I currently have the starter on the bench and it all works fine - but there is no load on it.
All the teeth have one side tapered. And the tapering matches the one side tapering on the flywheel.
On the bench when I only energize the solenoid the pinion throws to the end and makes a small turn.
The question I have is: does it matter which way it turns? with the tapered edge or against it?

Thanks for any thoughts

Attachments

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has someone changed the default font settings? I've seen a few posts now that are illegible due to the dark-on-dark colors.

SJ

RoJoGro

When starting the post, the background color is white and text is black - I did not change anything and left it as default.
Just now I changed the text color to white - which makes it invisible in edit mode :-(

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry RG, I should've been more clear: I was hoping an admin might see this thread and look into it - your posting is one of 3 (I think) similarly configured ones that I've seen in the past 2-3 days.

RoJoGro

[HR][/HR]When starting the Unimog very frequently (4 out of 5 times) I am getting just a glonking sound, seems the solenoid is not engaging fully and the starter motor would not turn.
At first I thought it was a grounding issue, since I installed a new (rebuild) starter, but now after the same issue remains with very good grounding (and jumper wires connected too) I am ruling out that there is a grounding issue.
It all depends on which position the flywheel stops. if it's a bad spot I am getting this glonking sound. If I keep hitting the starter (I actually use a small jumper to eliminate the wiring to the starter) often enough (10+ times) it may turn normally - but that's not reliable.
What does work is when I am turning the flywheel just a bit - maybe 1/2 a tooth.
I currently have the starter on the bench and it all works fine - but there is no load on it.
All the teeth have one side tapered. And the tapering matches the one side tapering on the flywheel.
On the bench when I only energize the solenoid the pinion throws to the end and makes a small turn.
The question I have is: does it matter which way it turns? with the tapered edge or against it?

Thanks for any thoughts
update (long overdue) ended up replacing the entire starter with a new one, after all it was still under warranty.
the replacement cranks and starts every time.

Ferretboy

Im no expert....but do have a 404. If the teeth on your flywheel and your starter look good then i would think about looking first at the wires to your starter motor...a good ground ect....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks