• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A, No output

KLChurch

During the mid 70's to the bottom 90's Analogue controlled metal cutting machines (NC) were more accurate than the CNC machines.
This is because CNC machines had CPU's that had a speed of approx 4 Mega HZ . 8086 chips. Today the chips they use are 1.8 to 4.9 giga hz. Now the digital (CNC) can machine accurately equal to the analogue machines.
So how fast are the DMM are sampling? Depends on the CPU. The faster it samples and displays will give you the high and low peaks.
4 mega hz cnc machines sampled every 20 to 30 milliseconds. With this speed it was difficult to hold plus or minus .005 inch where the nc machines could hold plus or minus .001 inch
This is my two cents.
Kris

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok,

The difference is 1 Hz which is 1 cycle per second

At this frequency it would take the needle app. 1 second to go to 59Hz and another 1 second to go back to 60Hz

It is basically oscillating at 1 Hz

Kris's DMM takes 3 samples per second which means the display will update every 333 mili seconds - so it would show the the oscillation

this would be 6 samples during that 2 second period. This is by far enough time to display the 59Hz if the analog gauge movement would be correct

I also doubt that the engine with no load is going to vary +/- 30 rpm on a 1 Hz interval with a mechanical governor since frequency is only dependent on rpm

Now on a malfunctioning Electronic Governor Control that could be possible, but with a mechanical?

MM2000.png

During the mid 70's to the bottom 90's Analogue controlled metal cutting machines (NC) were more accurate than the CNC machines.
This is because CNC machines had CPU's that had a speed of approx 4 Mega HZ . 8086 chips. Today the chips they use are 1.8 to 4.9 giga hz. Now the digital (CNC) can machine accurately equal to the analogue machines.
So how fast are the DMM are sampling? Depends on the CPU. The faster it samples and displays will give you the high and low peaks.
4 mega hz cnc machines sampled every 20 to 30 milliseconds. With this speed it was difficult to hold plus or minus .005 inch where the nc machines could hold plus or minus .001 inch
This is my two cents.
Kris

KLChurch

Update:
Received back the frequency transducer and starter today.

I asked the starter repairman why the starter in his opinion failed.
His comment was it just wore out. Also he believed it was the original equipment not rebuilt.
He said he put a stronger drive in the unit and other better components in it.
He stressed to me to make sure the batteries are fully charged each time it is used because it could ruin the starter if the batteries were below par.

So I will be reinstalling both components
Kris

KLChurch

Even though the starter seems to be easy to uninstall and install because it is there just looking at you, conventional sockets don't fit. They are too long. The dia bolt pattern should have been 1 inch in dia larger.
So it takes several open end wrenches and pliers and cheaters to rotate the bolts. Plus band aids when the wrenches slip (knuckle breakers). These are 15/16 bolts not very easy to get to and were very tight.
On a Cummins engine I could uninstall within 5 mins. This one took hours to uninstall. I just hope I can get the bolts tight enough.
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Even though the starter seems to be easy to uninstall and install because it is there just looking at you, conventional sockets don't fit. They are too long. The dia bolt pattern should have been 1 inch in dia larger.
So it takes several open end wrenches and pliers and cheaters to rotate the bolts. Plus band aids when the wrenches slip (knuckle breakers). These are 15/16 bolts not very easy to get to and were very tight.
On a Cummins engine I could uninstall within 5 mins. This one took hours to uninstall. I just hope I can get the bolts tight enough.
Kris

I could have told you that. Its a PITA on a fork lift too!

Chainbreaker

Two threads on this MEP-004a genset with 99 pages and 986 posts and you let a little rain get in the way!!! I can't stand the anticipation! This is worse than waiting for the old Nasa Moon mission launches!

Chainbreaker

Meanwhile, T -24 hrs and counting... I hope this doesn't get scrubbed for weather again. Then again, I "get the willies" when starting my generator when my feet are wet standing in a puddle of water...LOL

KLChurch

Started the gen up.
Started immediately and faster than ever before.
The hz gage and volt gage seemed to be a little more stable ?????? why?
The hz gage when the gen was first started at 59 and varied to 59.3
The amp gage started charging at +10 the fell to +1.5 after 1 min. This is I believe because of the rebuilt starter.
The hz gage drifted higher as the gen warmed up still only varying .3 hz Cannot hear that the rpm was varying.
From 7 to 10 mins of the gen running the hz climbed to 60 varying to 60.3
After 10 mins the gen did not seem to climb in hz
Volts seemed to be only vary a couple of volts the whole time the gen was running.
Did not put the DMM to compare the readings.
Kris

Chainbreaker

BTW the sun finally came out and in the front of the gen was dry so there was no puddles
Kris
In Oregon we don't always have the luxury of waiting for dry conditions in winter. I must admit though that I put a nice size remnant of 3/4" rubber horse stall mat in front of both generators control panel to get me somewhat "less grounded". Call me superstitious or a nervous Nellie but I just feel better standing on rubber when hitting the start switch in a downpour with standing water on ground.

KLChurch

Chainbreaker,
Don't know your real name but your safety should be shouted fiercely like you have been doing. I have been very afraid of the power of these units.
This started way before I even knew about gens when I was 14 years old.
Like I said before I started being a machinist at that age. I was sent in the attic of my uncles machine shop to run some new machine 440 vac wires that others already been up there like spaghetti and hot.
So I was up there being shocked and could not get away from the wires because of the confined space. every time I jumped I would land back into the live wires. So I learned the shake rattle and roll without a partner.
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Started the gen up.
Started immediately and faster than ever before.
The hz gage and volt gage seemed to be a little more stable ?????? why?
The hz gage when the gen was first started at 59 and varied to 59.3
The amp gage started charging at +10 the fell to +1.5 after 1 min. This is I believe because of the rebuilt starter.
The hz gage drifted higher as the gen warmed up still only varying .3 hz Cannot hear that the rpm was varying.
From 7 to 10 mins of the gen running the hz climbed to 60 varying to 60.3
After 10 mins the gen did not seem to climb in hz
Volts seemed to be only vary a couple of volts the whole time the gen was running.
Did not put the DMM to compare the readings.
Kris

Everything's looking good. You have a good set. Well done, one and all!

Guyfang

Staff member
In Oregon we don't always have the luxury of waiting for dry conditions in winter. I must admit though that I put a nice size remnant of 3/4" rubber horse stall mat in front of both generators control panel to get me somewhat "less grounded". Call me superstitious or a nervous Nellie but I just feel better standing on rubber when hitting the start switch in a downpour with standing water on ground.

Having been hooked up to the juice twice on my life where I could not get off it, and more shocking adventures then I can count, the term "Safety First" should be tattooed on my hands and forehead. He who shows little respect for these machines, gets what he earns. The military kills 2-3 soldiers a year, do to crappy grounding. And that's unfair. Cant blame the military for it all. We had mucho safety training. Grounding was at the top of the list, and at least once a quarter I gave classes on it. All the safety in the world will do you no good, if you ignore it. That's why its important to know your machine. What can bite? Whats safe? Is it grounded. Do you check it once a year? In the Military, its part of the PMCS. Every time you start the set, you are supposed to look at it. Is it loose? Who looks at it once its tightened? I know I didn't every time. But often. I worked on these things in pouring rain. Never worried about it as long as it was the front doors opened to work on it. The two rear door? The right side is also not a problem. Now the left rear door, was something I kept closed, when its wet. Yes sir. Closed. Bad Ju, Ju there. Never go there when its running and you are alone. You dont need to fear this machine. Just respect it.

KLChurch

So I guess I will connect the single phase transformer to test the load test. I will try to find a dryer or oven at the appliance junk yard.
Kris

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks