• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A, No output

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On our new transformer anything between 3 Amp to 5 Amp will be fine as this Transformer is larger then the original one.
But I would start at 3 Amp and then work my way up until we get to the correct fuse rating when it stops blowing.

Peter

OK,
Unless someone objects I will install a 3 amp fuse and try again.
Peter,
Which test you want me to do first.
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Brian!

This is great - here we can clearly see on how the voltage comes slowly up to 100VAC / 120VAC during field flash and then when the speed switch changes state, it soars up in excitation to 240VAC
240VAC, because Brian is running his Genset with Sewerzuk's Mod.
Question: what did you set the selector switch to?

https://youtu.be/dA7YIu54fLA

Link Sent.

Brian

Last edited:

KLChurch

Just Started up the gen.
This time I got a little over 200 volts in the run mode after I changed to 3 amps.

Hip Hip horay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to correct myself as to the sequence:

1. The voltage goes slowly from 0 to ~ 100VAC to 120 VAC once the speed switch has changed state, meaning field flash starts around 600rpm to 900rpm

2. Voltage goes from ~ 100VAC to 120 VAC to ~ 240 VAC in Brian's case (no mod ~208 VAC) fairly quickly when the S2 Switch is released from Start to Run and the system is switched in this change of state of S2 from field flash to excitation

Thanks Brian!

This is great - here we can clearly see on how the voltage comes slowly up to 100VAC / 120VAC during field flash and then when the speed switch changes state, it soars up in excitation to 240VAC

https://youtu.be/dA7YIu54fLA

flydude92

Thanks Brian!
This is great - here we can clearly see on how the voltage comes slowly up to 100VAC / 120VAC during
field flash and then when the speed switch changes state, it soars up in excitation to 240VAC
It was set to L1/L3

Brian

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Brian,

that confirms Sewezuk's detail drawing in his Video.

And this means the error in it was Wire X8HH which Sewerzuk had moved originally to T11 from T8 and then you corrected it to T7/T1 which is L1 the system became [more] stable.

I figured this when I edited the Voltages into video screenshot, however it should be 240 VAC between L1/L3 not 208 VAC what I got right now.

Like I said before, L3 is the rather unstable leg and can have anything between 120VAC to 240VAC to Lo depending on Load and how the Load is connected

So, any one who did Sewerzuk's mod: MAKE SURE YOUR X8HH WIRE IS CONNECTED TO T7 NOT T11 OR T8

convert 1.jpgconvert 2a.jpg

It was set to L1/L3

Brian

Last edited:

KLChurch

Update:
Restarted gen.
Got little over 200 volts and very little HZ (L1 L2).
Then increased the rpm got more volts (approx. 240 volts) and HZ started going up and stable at 50 HZ
then I increased the volt rheostat and no increase. Then I decreased the rheostat and it decreased.
No fault lights appeared at any time.
Kris

KLChurch

Thanks Brian,

that confirms Sewezuk's detail drawing in his Video.

And this means the error in it was Wire X8HH which Sewerzuk had moved originally to T11 from T8 and then you corrected it to T7/T1 which is L1 the system became [more] stable.

I figured this when I edited the Voltages into video screenshot, however it should be 240 VAC between L1/L3 not 208 VAC what I got right now.

Like I said before, L3 is the rather unstable leg and can have anything between 120VAC to 240VAC to Lo depending on Load and how the Load is connected

So, any one who did Sewerzuk's mod: MAKE SURE YOUR X8HH WIRE IS CONNECTED TO T7 NOT T11 OR T8

View attachment 777121View attachment 777122
Maybe someone should post this as a new post for people want to convert there gen from 3 phase to single phase with this important correction?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Kris,

RPM should not change Voltage, unless rpm is ways to low -

First you need to check and set the Frequency Selector Switch to 60 Hz (you are running in 50Hz mode)

frequency selector switch.jpg

then start Genset

1. regulate the rpm with the governor control knob (see drawing below) to exactly 60 Hz

2. adjust output voltage with Voltage Adjust Rheostat #24 in drawing below to 208 VAC with selector switch [Volts-Amps Transfer Switch] #5 in drawing below set to any one of the three positions: L1-L2 or L3-L2 or L1-L3

3. then rotate the selector switch through all positions and write down result for each position i.e
L1-L2 = 208V etc

4. after that activate the CFK BRK Switch to ON

WARNING! WHEN THE CKF BRK INDICATOR ILLUMINATES THEN THERE IS LIVE HIGH VOLTAGE ON THE LARGE TERMINALS L1, L2 AND L3 - DO NOT TOUCH - THIS COULD POTENTIALLY KILL OR CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY!

5. LET GENSET RUN FOR 10 MINUTES

6. deactivate CFK BRK Switch to Off

7. turn genset off

8. report your findings

004A Frontpanel.jpg
Update:
Restarted gen.
Got little over 200 volts and very little HZ (L1 L2).
Then increased the rpm got more volts (approx. 240 volts) and HZ started going up and stable at 50 HZ
then I increased the volt rheostat and no increase. Then I decreased the rheostat and it decreased.
No fault lights appeared at any time.
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A General Warning:

THE ONLY WAY OF WORKING ON ANY GENERATOR IS STONE COLD SOBER AND WITH A CLEAR MIND

KLChurch

OK,
This will take a while because the Monsoon is coming back.
Kris60 hz.jpg
cant find the 60 HZ switch. This does not look like the drawing to me
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct Conversion to Single Phase 120/240 of a MEP 004a / 005A / 006A

This would be the correct conversion:

MEP004A005A006A conversion.jpg

WARNING:

WE ASSUME NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER - YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN - YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS, LIABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONVERSION!

FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION TO THE .!

YOU ARE DEALING WITH HIGH VOLTAGE WHICH CAN POTENTIALLY KILL OR CAUSE SERIOUS HARM!

CONSULT WITH A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN BEFORE CONNECTING THIS SYSTEM TO ANY EXISTING POWER INSTALLATION
OR WHEN IN DOUBT ON HOW TO PROCEED WITH THE CONVERSION OR IF YOU WANT THE CONVERSION TO BE VERIFIED BEFORE FIRST OPERATION.

Maybe someone should post this as a new post for people want to convert there gen from 3 phase to single phase with this important correction?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting can you increase the RPM to get to 60Hz from 50Hz with the governor control?

I guess the 50Hz/60Hz switch is only on the precise units - which means crank up the RPM!

OK,
This will take a while because the Monsoon is coming back.
KrisView attachment 777128
cant find the 60 HZ switch. This does not look like the drawing to me
Kris

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Remember, the Freq transducer. It takes an AC signal, and converts it to a DC signal for the meter. And yes, its only on precise sets, that you can switch from 50 to 60 hertz.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks