• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suitable generator for home backup?

Chainbreaker

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgDEAU&usg=AOvVaw1sPoVtz2QpbFIMoT_mFaVL

I personally don't have the experience with it, but I found this when I was looking at one.
The creator of this video, Matt Verley, was/is a SS member aka "Sewerzuk" that contributed many posts in the SS Generator Forum several years ago. His videos are what led me to SS and several direct email discussions with him (he lives in OR). He is the one who enlightened me to be aware of fuel burn rate, wet stacking and adequate long term fuel storage. Naively (I was then a generator newb) I started out thinking I needed a MEP-004 level machine (plus I loved the more throaty sound of that engine...lol) as MEP-802/3 series were virtually unavailable back then.

After a series of Q&A with Matt with him saying I was on the cusp of needing an MEP-003a but could probably get by with the -002a if I practiced some limited load mgt. I then settled on a MEP-002a to run our house (240V well pump, 240V septic pump, 65" home theater system, two 40" bedroom LED TV's, FAG central heat, Microwave, Refrigerator, Garage Freezer, elec Washer/Dryer, Wood stove fireplace w/blower and lots of lighting indoors & out, plus my beloved 2000 watt Italian Espresso machine! Note that we have propane water heater and gas cooktop range, if not for that I would have definitely needed a 10kW -003a genset. The only things I don't run during a pwr outage are the Oven and outdoor Hot Tub & if I run a load of clothes in the 5600 Watt elec dryer I initiate load management practices while its on. Most of the time I worry about the MEP-002 loafing along and whether I have enough load running continuously. I have purposely turned on other devices to increase & balance the load on both 120V circuit legs. I have digital gauges on my #1 generator & can monitor both 120V legs on house circuit in order to keep a more balanced, greater than 50%, load active during long outages.

Anyway, the messages you are receiving here are good. Size it to YOUR true needs during an outage and you won't regret buying a MEP series genset. Based on what you have shared I would vote for a MEP-803a or even a MEP-003a if a nice one were available near you. Don't discount finding a MEP unit on Craigslist. Its always great when you can see it firsthand, hopefully running a load, before making a purchase. That way you won't be faced with the potential surprise of buying a sight unseen auction genset that turns out to be problematic from the get-go. But learning to be a genset technician/mechanic is part of the fun and knowing you are somewhat independent and can fix & maintain your genset yourself.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgDEAU&usg=AOvVaw1sPoVtz2QpbFIMoT_mFaVL

I personally don't have the experience with it, but I found this when I was looking at one.
If you read the title of the presentation, it is:
How to convert an MEP-004a or -005a diesel generator to single phase 120/240

Now, there are a few small differences between a MEP-004A, a MEP-005A and a MEP-805A or MEP-805B. Go back up to post #12. Mac laid it out well.

Edit: Once again, Chainbreaker beats me to the draw!

Last edited:

Josephml21

15k is ALOT of genny... I went with a 803(10k) and I honestly believe I could get away with a 5k. 3000sqft house, 5 people, 3 gaming systems and tvs, Central Air always running, 4500w water heater, deep freezer and two refrigerators.

The most I've ever loaded my 803 to is 75 percent and that was a stretch. Everything on... I mean everything. Laundry / dishwasher / running hot water to force on the WH.

I really want to ditch my electric WH for a gas one but I would have to switch from a 803 to an 802 because I wouldn't have a way to exercise the genny hahaha.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
803 is a whole lot of machine... try to tell folks that all the time when I am discussing whats best for applications. Its what 99% lead with, and less than 50% go with.

Josephml21

803 is a whole lot of machine... try to tell folks that all the time when I am discussing whats best for applications. Its what 99% lead with, and less than 50% go with.
Neighbors think I'm bragging / showing off my genny when the power goes out because I turn on every light in the house. What they don't know is I'm just trying to load her down... Hahahaha.

Chainbreaker

Neighbors think I'm bragging / showing off my genny when the power goes out because I turn on every light in the house. What they don't know is I'm just trying to load her down... Hahahaha.
Funny you should mention that, I do the same. Our house has a very high vaulted ceiling in living room with halogen track lighting (12 light canisters) that we never use...except when the power goes out and I determine a need at times for more load on the genny. Then our house sitting on a hill with large glass windows overlooking a valley looks like an airport beacon all lit up when almost all the neighborhood is pitch black. I almost feel guilty, but I don't, since I had the foresight to prepare for such events!

Josephml21

Funny you should mention that, I do the same. Our house has a very high vaulted ceiling in living room with halogen track lighting (12 light canisters) that we never use...except when the power goes out and I determine a need at times for more load on the genny. Then our house sitting on a hill with large glass windows overlooking a valley looks like an airport beacon all lit up when almost all the neighborhood is pitch black. I almost feel guilty, but I don't, since I had the foresight to prepare for such events!
Absolutely agree with all of this. I don't feel bad when life goes on as usual at my place while the rest of the neighborhood looks like a ghost town. I planed and did 99 percent of the work myself to be prepared during an outage.

Although I am friends with some of my neighbors so I throw them a bone and tell them if they would like to mooch WiFi that's okay with me. You'll know which one it is, it's the only one broadcasting. Hahahaha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks