• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch and flywheel questions

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What in the world? This looks nothing like my TM. Is there supposed to be a bearing behind clutch plate as in TM? And this is clutch disk that was in it and holy cow does this mean I need a new flywheel as well? Deep cracking. Crap. Anyone got a spare?IMG_20190812_185806135.jpgIMG_20190812_185727470.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We ask that members reserve the use of "HELP" in thread titles only for realtime emergencies(like broken down on the road).

We're all here for help, or to help.

Edited thread title.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Throw out bearing Is on the cross bar in the transmission. it locks into those fingers on the PP. Pilot bearing is there in the crank as it should be.

Flywheel got hot. Someone has a strong calf. More mirror more head. Check it for cracks from heat then mic it to see if it can be turned. The PP side looks normal

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throw out bearing Is on the cross bar in the transmission. it locks into those fingers on the PP. Pilot bearing is there in the crank as it should be.

Flywheel got hot. Someone has a strong calf. More mirror more head. Check it for cracks from heat then mic it to see if it can be turned. The PP side looks normal
Lots of cracking in flywheel I was in the process of changing main seal. I ordered a clutch kit from C&C for a deuce but the clutch plate sent is the one with the little pads not the full circle as shown does that matter?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We ask that members reserve the use of "HELP" in thread titles only for realtime emergencies(like broken down on the road).

We're all her for help or to help.

Edited thread title.
Understood thank you.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reason I was asking about bearing is this TM pic saying throwout Bering behind clutch plate. The plate in this pic is the new one I have. Old one is the solid plate.IMG_20190812_194739325.jpgIMG_20190812_185727470.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture makes it look much larger than it really is.

Your pilot bearing looks to be in place.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture makes it look much larger than it really is.

Your pilot bearing looks to be in place.
Pilot.... thank you for your patience with me. I will take my flywheel to a machinist tomorrow to see if it can be turned. How much is too much in these?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No difference in running a puck clutch vs a disc clutch. Discs will give a little more. Mostly depends on the clutch material as to strength and durability

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would venture to guess rear main is out as well.IMG_20190812_204428795.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your Fuel Density Compensator bypassed? Have you ever noticed your oil level going up? Or, smelling like diesel?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your Fuel Density Compensator bypassed? Have you ever noticed your oil level going up? Or, smelling like diesel?
FDC was never bypassed. I can run my truck to town and back with no leaks but when I turn it off I get a puddle from oil pouring out like it was holding it. I have not noticed fuel in the oil. Doesn't mean it's not happening though. Should I bypass FDC and get pyrometer? This truck was sitting for 10+/- years up untill a few months ago when I bought it from the county.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just sent a motor to Golddigger. Looks like he is about 7hrs from you, but he will probably have a spare flywheel if yours is toast.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sent a motor to Golddigger. Looks like he is about 7hrs from you, but he will probably have a spare flywheel if yours is toast.
Thank you sir. I should find out today. Did find a crack from surface to inside middle of inner lip. How do you feel about bypassing FDC on these things?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have changed clutches before on pickups but never rear main seal. May be a dumb question but. Do I need to drain oil before taking seal out?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleaned up best he could. Said unless I'm going to NASCAR the cracks shouldn't be any issue. I'll keep an eye out for a spare for down the road.IMG_20190813_130949631.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks