Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M8 Greyhound help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 927 Posts

Default M8 Greyhound help

Does anybody out there have an oil pump out of the Hercules JXD out of a greyhound? The M8 at the museum has had a hard start condition since the last time it was parked. I dropped the oil pan today and found the whole inside of the engine dry. The oil pump is really funny it has 3 inlets on it. This engine came out of a Searchlight, I don't know what the oil pump looks like in the Searchlight but this pan is a lot bigger. The books I have for the Scout car that uses the same engine shows a different oil pump. So if anybody has a picture of one, has one that can take a picture of or has a rebuild manual for the JXD that shows a picture of the oil pump, it would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by WillWagner; 08-13-2019 at 19:35.
    ASMH Volunteer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-13-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,916 Posts

JXA or JXD? M8/M20 had JXD.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NDT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

JXD, don't know why I put A....fixed it.
    ASMH Volunteer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

Corporal
    Thanks

You need the special Greyhound version of the oil pump. Try Brent Mullins, but be warned, the one he sold me had been dropped and teeth were chipped off the drive cog. I didn't find that out until I de-cosmolined it.

Quote Originally Posted by WillWagner View Post
    Does anybody out there have an oil pump out of the Hercules JXD out of a greyhound? The M8 at the museum has had a hard start condition since the last time it was parked. I dropped the oil pan today and found the whole inside of the engine dry. The oil pump is really funny it has 3 inlets on it. This engine came out of a Searchlight, I don't know what the oil pump looks like in the Searchlight but this pan is a lot bigger. The books I have for the Scout car that uses the same engine shows a different oil pump. So if anybody has a picture of one, has one that can take a picture of or has a rebuild manual for the JXD that shows a picture of the oil pump, it would be greatly appreciated

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dgrev For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-14-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks

Hi

Just out curiosity have you checked if that engine is used in civilian equipment, I'm thinking tractors.

Know that some of the smaller Hercules engine were used in tractors, when looking for parts military application no luck when looking for tractor parts for the same engine they are available. Just a thought.

Cheers Phil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMPPhil For This Useful Post:

Corporal
    Thanks

Phil

He needs the correct pump for the Greyhound. It was unique to that vehicle.

Regards
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by CMPPhil View Post
    Hi

Just out curiosity have you checked if that engine is used in civilian equipment, I'm thinking tractors.

Know that some of the smaller Hercules engine were used in tractors, when looking for parts military application no luck when looking for tractor parts for the same engine they are available. Just a thought.

Cheers Phil

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dgrev For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1565791872167860103959.jpg1565791858065926818561.jpg15657918339101964226454.jpg

This is what I have, the big ugly monstrosity with the two pickups coming off of it is the one that came out of it. The rusty one is one that came out of an industrial engine in a Searchlight generator. So I'm not understanding the multiple pickups. We do not have a manual for it at the Museum so I'm looking for advice.
    ASMH Volunteer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay, today is my Friday, so I did some searching in the libraries here at the Museum. I actually found two books for the M8 and M20. Turns out the oil pump is correct. Still not getting multiple pickup points, but found that it was missing some pieces inside namely, the two seals for the pickup that goes into the strainer and the one that goes on to the windage tray in the pan and it was missing the gasket between the block and lube pump. That is an easy fix.15657957193651260319604.jpg1565795699966207446058.jpg

Seals lettered S and P we're missing when I dropped the pan. The mounting gasket, labeled C, was not there. I think what's happened to this engine is it had a problem with fuel in the oil and ran like that. The amount of gas in oil washed the oil film from all the bearings and then the gas evaporated when it's sat for 10 years. The main that I dropped was not damaged, it has some particles through it, but I believe it is serviceable. This morning Craig ordered a pre Luber from Jegs. I'll be gone next week so it should be here the week after I get back, today I'll work on making a gasket remounting the lube pump and getting some seals made for the pickup tubes and when I come back in 2 weeks we'll pig it to see if we have oil coming out of everything. Hopefully it doesn't need an engine
    Last edited by WillWagner; 08-14-2019 at 11:22.
    ASMH Volunteer

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (08-15-2019), SCSG-G4 (08-14-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-14-2019)

Thanks

Reading is a wonderful thing. As I was going through the Hercules engine rebuild manual I came across the lube system that we have. It's a Scavenging oil system. It all makes sense now!15657966376191634091933.jpg
    ASMH Volunteer

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (08-15-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-14-2019)

Thanks

Today, I re installed the main I removed, with the shims, the book I found indeed mentioned shims, measuring end play and rotation force. Since the rotation force cannot be measured as is, I just put the shims back into their original spots, kind of funky to me, .010 on one side and. 015 on the other side. The upper had no protrusion and the lower did have .020 on one side if I pushed the bearing shell flush with the tab side of the bearing/cap. Made a gasket for the lube pump mount and the actual suction tube, checked end play again after installing the lube pump mounts that are the main bearing cap bolts. Still have the same end play and it feels like it turns a bit better with oil actually on the bearing. Looked on McMaster and found some felt for the joints of the scavenger discharge and the main pick up at the screen.

I will update this in a couple of weeks when I get back from "vacation".

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=601
    ASMH Volunteer

20. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (08-15-2019)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast