• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Transmission

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace gears or clean up pieces and change oil and run?signal-2019-08-14-114216.jpgsignal-2019-08-14-114216-1.jpgsignal-2019-08-14-114216-2.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I'd replace those gears. 1st gear will be easy on the mainshaft since it slides right off once you get the mainshaft loose. I believe the corresponding gear is milled into the countershaft itself, so you'll have to replace it. It's all really pretty easy, just follow the TM, and take pics with your phone along the way so you have a nice reference as to how retainers, spacers, bearings, etc. go back in. Was it shifting okay? now would be the time to do a full gasket kit, and replace syncros, shift forks, and bearings if they need it. For the parts you need here, White Owl would be the vendor among the usual suspects that I'd call first (unless you need a mainshaft. I bought mine from Boyce off Ebay for $50. Be surprised if anyone could beat that). If you need a press, here's a coupon to get a 20-tonner from harbor frieght for $145 http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/20+TON+SHOP+PRESS. If you need a bearing separator to squeeze the gears off the shafts, you can get one from HF, or Ebay is a good source too. Take a little time now to get it all in good shape, then when you take your truck for a drive, you can look down at the trans and say to yourself "I've been in there... it's all good".

Transmission TM; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...2-Ton-Trucks&p=1978748&viewfull=1#post1978748

Make sure you do the oil drain-back mod, to the rear main retainer, here on page 4-136, if it isn't done already; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...1C-LDS-465-1&p=1978757&viewfull=1#post1978757

Last edited:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I'd replace those gears. 1st gear will be easy on the mainshaft since it slides right off once you get the mainshaft loose. I believe the corresponding gear is milled into the countershaft itself, so you'll have to replace it. It's all really pretty easy, just follow the TM, and take pics with your phone along the way so you have a nice reference as to how retainers, spacers, bearings, etc. go back in. Was it shifting okay? now would be the time to do a full gasket kit, and replace syncros, shift forks, and bearings if they need it. For the parts you need here, White Owl would be the vendor among the usual suspects that I'd call first (unless you need a mainshaft. I bought mine from Boyce off Ebay for $50. Be surprised if anyone could beat that). If you need a press, here's a coupon to get a 20-tonner from harbor frieght for $145 http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/20+TON+SHOP+PRESS. If you need a bearing separator to squeeze the gears off the shafts, you can get one from HF, or Ebay is a good source too. Take a little time now to get it all in good shape, then when you take your truck for a drive, you can look down at the trans and say to yourself "I've been in there... it's all good".

Transmission TM; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...2-Ton-Trucks&p=1978748&viewfull=1#post1978748

Make sure you do the oil drain-back mod, to the rear main retainer, here on page 4-136, if it isn't done already; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...1C-LDS-465-1&p=1978757&viewfull=1#post1978757
I have a full gasket kit. And yes It shifts better than my other 2 trucks. I'm just to a point I have basically built this truck over the last couple months got it nice and pretty and runs great. Main seal was pouring oil out so tore into everything and now I am going to have to go through tranny as well. Flywheel redone new clutch. Ever just get to the point where you want to drive it and not be doing major work on it? A little maintenance ok but man. Just frustrated.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone ever heard Charlie Robinson. Loving County? "Like a thousand tiny diamonds in the lights of Loving County". That's what my pretty oil looked like flushing out my transmission. So....... beautiful

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, man....I hear you....just want to drive the thing, not do brain surgery on it. I sure got there two years ago when I got to do a surprise engine rebuild.

On the plus side, you have the tranny out already and now is the time to rehab it. In a way, better than putting a new clutch, resurfaced flywheel in, re-mounting the tranny and have it grenade on you in a month. Sorry, trying to be positive! You will have a freshly painted transmission, yay!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So tranny flushed cleaned new oil and man she feels good. New clutch and main seal. No Leaks. Need to find parts and a rebuilt transmission or NOS to replace then rebuild the one in the truck. Thanks for the encouragement and support.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I have a high pitched whine from clutch when depressed did I not get it adjusted right?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir. Got a kit from C&C and replaced it all. New clutch disk, plate, and bearing.

Throwout and needed a little more adjusting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks