• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Key(s)--Another newbie question

YellowSubmarine

My "new" M 1008 came with a single key. It is a rounded key that fits both the door and the ignition. Is this normal or a fluke? My experience with older GM rigs is a round key for the door and square key for the ignition but I can see the utility of a single key for a military rig.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are probably various set ups since they made so many of these trucks, were used for years, and could have been re-keyed. But, in my experience with a dozen or so CUCVs, they usually have one key for both the door and ignition, and the key was rounded as you describe. I don't know if you are aware, but the CUCV keys usually work in other CUCVs (i.e., your key probably will open and start other CUCVs). However, I have had a couple of CUCVs where the "master" key would not work. I am unsure if they had a few different "master" keys or if those couple of trucks were just re-keyed.

cucvrus

GM fleet always used the round B key in police, taxi, fleet trucks. I worked at a GM dealer for years. I never heard of a Master Key. CUCV key code
. The
key code
for the U.S.
CUCV
is 73Y2 as delivered from the factory. This is the B-
key
or commonly called the Trunk
Key
(rounded edges)They can be cut at most locksmith shops from code or a GM dealer that still stocks antique key blanks. These are antiques at this point. Most trucks are keyless with a FOB these days. I like it. I still have a key on my 2019 Silverado. It is a laser cut transponder key. Basically the same key they have been using in the trucks since 2014. I hope that helps. Good Luck.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a couple of CUCVs where the "master" key would not work. I am unsure if they had a few different "master" keys or if those couple of trucks were just re-keyed.
I have had (and seen) several trucks that a newly cut key wouldn't work in but a well used key would. The new key would work in other CUCVs but for some reason certain trucks just wanted a less sharp edged key to start.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had (and seen) several trucks that a newly cut key wouldn't work in but a well used key would. The new key would work in other CUCVs but for some reason certain trucks just wanted a less sharp edged key to start.
Maybe that was my situation. I just recall that I had to carry two CUCV keys for the two different Blazers, but the keys looked alike.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
For years lock and chain was done for a reason on base.

I agree with rekey the truck also. It is pretty well known that one key will open, start the CUCV. New ignition key locksets and door sets are easy to get and the prices are still reasonable. In 5 to ten more years who knows.

Is it worth being stolen even for a joyride?

cucvrus

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-s...ost-likely-to-get-stolen-vehicles-in-the-u-s/

I checked the list I checked it twice. CUCV's are naughty and NOT nice. They did not make the list for top stolen vehicles. Stealing one of these trucks you better have a good head start. And you better know how to start one. They stand out like a sore thumb. And a lock and chain is a minor deterrent. The good old bolt cutters solve the master key debate. Nothing is infallible.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a farm in West Palm Beach that had a fleet of CUCVs that they used in the fields. They had several that ended up stolen. All were recovered, none of them were recovered with front axles. The major draw is the driveline.
I differ than most, I prefer the CUCV key and use other measures for security. I think I still have a peanut butter jar full of keys somewhere.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed my steering column and door cylinder key locks. However before a thief gets to the truck, he/she must get into my high-security warehouse with motion detectors, 24/7 live camera monitors, and audio monitoring. But before all of that, they must get by me with my special security tool -

Attachments

panama

There was a farm in West Palm Beach that had a fleet of CUCVs that they used in the fields. They had several that ended up stolen. All were recovered, none of them were recovered with front axles. The major draw is the driveline.
I differ than most, I prefer the CUCV key and use other measures for security. I think I still have a peanut butter jar full of keys somewhere.
Recovry I know it's been a year on this thread but do you think you could spare one of those CUCV keys? I could use an extra for a misplaced key (and locked M1008 doors). THANKS!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry I know it's been a year on this thread but do you think you could spare one of those CUCV keys? I could use an extra for a misplaced key (and locked M1008 doors). THANKS!
I have keys, that is no problem. The problem is, I need an address and I don't see PMs. I'll have to figure out how to access PMs first.

panama

I have keys, that is no problem. The problem is, I need an address and I don't see PMs. I'll have to figure out how to access PMs first.
Thanks Recovry! Don't sweat it. I went to an old school locksmith shop with an old school key cutting machine and got a couple B49 blanks cut using the original 313531 cut code. 2 for $10 bucks. Both work like a charm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks