• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wont go over 50mph

kamakee

My 83 cucv pick up doesnt want to go over 50 mph i took out the fuel filter and the receptacle for it because it was leaking i installed a regular napa fuel filter its not leaking anymore but she wont go over 50 mph

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Need a little more information. Is your truck a 84 CUCV or a 83 civilian 6.2? How did the truck start, how did it run before fuel filter change?

Did you replace the canister fuel filter with an inline filter? Can you post any pictures of the engine compartment? Fuel pump, what condition do you think it is in, mechanical pump or electric? Do you see, we need some back ground about condition.

Also the CUCV TM's have a troubleshooting section that may help also to narrow down the symptoms to your condition.

Good Luck

cucvrus

Does the fuel return line have a free flow? And yes it would be helpful to have more information. Once the modification begin the guess work never ends. Good Luck.

kamakee

Sorry ive been busy as **** it was losing power so i installed a new fuel filter oem type this is when i noticed that the fuel filter receptacle on the firewall was leaking got a brand new one from california and replaced the whole assembly it altertnates between surging and smoking out the tailpipes im guessing its the injector pump

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked inside your fuel tank, at the fuel pickup sock?
If it’s clogged it will cause trouble.

vegavairbob

add water remober to tank, add diesel fuel additive, change fyule filter, change air filter. I did all of these and it runs perfect. I had the same issue. Top speed should is listed at 65. That's safe for the engine's 3500 rpm redline with the low axle ratio.

Last edited:

kamakee

Now first thing in the morning it runs perfect as soon as it warms up power is almost non existent.the return line going back to the tank was plugged its fine now

dependable

My 83 cucv pick up doesnt want to go over 50 mph i took out the fuel filter and the receptacle for it because it was leaking i installed a regular napa fuel filter its not leaking anymore but she wont go over 50 mph
If problem started with the addition of new fuel filter, something likely wrong with the filter installation or line was kinked or something. Sounds like classic sign of clogged filter or partially obstructed line. Since you confirmed clearance of return line, if problem started just after "napa" conversion, probably it is related that.

It is easy enough to stop leak in original fuel filter base, a screw with JB weld or similar in the fuel pressure sensor hole usually solves the problem.

Of course the fuel filter issues could be red herring, and you IP needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

vegavairbob

If problem started with the addition of new fuel filter, something likely wrong with the filter installation or line was kinked or something. Sounds like classic sign of clogged filter or partially obstructed line. Since you confirmed clearance of return line, if problem started just after "napa" conversion, probably it is related that.

It is easy enough to stop leak in original fuel filter base, a screw with JB weld or similar in the fuel pressure sensor hole usually solves the problem.

Of course the fuel filter issues could be red herring, and you IP needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
did you prime the filter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks