• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine knocking LDS-456

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello Oerthedge21, I have read this thread many times. I am going to throw out some thoughts, here goes.

Has the frequency of the noise changed? Louder or softer, the same since engine work?

You stated in post 210 that the ticking was louder in the cab. Have you checked the bell housing, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing, clutch assembly?

Input shaft into transmission? Does the transmission shift ok?

And when ever I take the oil pan off any engine I will check thrust bearing, and crankshaft, rod walking, rocking. Easy enough to do with a large screwdriver.

And plastic gage is a necessary diagnostic tool when ever bearing clearances must be known. Trust no-one when turning crankshafts, bearings are to be checked and verified.

The engine may have been sour since rebuild.

A lot of good help here and we are wanting to get this machine back in Service.

Good Wrenching!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your fdc bypassed?

Is your oil level going up?

Does your oil smell of diesel?

Oerthedge21

I put a few up recently, should only be one or two pages back. I'm gonna fool around with it some more today and see if I can find exactly what it's from after work

davidb56

I put a few up recently, should only be one or two pages back. I'm gonna fool around with it some more today and see if I can find exactly what it's from after work
Please take time to swap #1 and #6 injector and see if the noise moves forward. This can be done pretty quick and could save you hours of frustration......or add to it if the noise doesn't move, but will eliminate a major source of noise.

Oerthedge21

Switched #6 to the front, no difference in noise. Now this truck is starting to annoy me. My oil is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm gonna drain whats in it and drop the pan. The marble sound has gotten a little louder. Sounds like a ball bearing that's short a few balls. And its not the transmission, with the clutch in and the tranny in first (to be sure it's not spinning) the sound persists without change. My only conceivable guess is that there's something loose in the oil pan. Plus I'm going to plastigage the bearings and re-torque everything. If that doesn't fix it then I'm out of ideas. Just got my set of axle boots and seals in the mail today, so I'm really hoping to find this problem because I do not intend to put new parts and money into a truck with an engine issue.

Ajax MD

I've re-read since you first mentioned the tick and I'm not seeing any reference to RPM's. I played your videos and you only recorded the tick at idle.

Does the speed of the tick remain static or is it tied to engine RPM's?

It's difficult to diagnose by video but the tick does seem high in pitch and it does seem more pronounced at the top of the engine. I see that you moved the fuel injector and the noise remained in the same location so the options are- something in the valve train at that location or something in the bottom end at that location. (I know you've already inspected the valve train)

I think your plan to plasti-gauge and check the lower end is on the right track.

Oerthedge21

Tick doesn't seem to change with rpm, but it's hard to tell without a second person. The valvetrain is fine, checked again yesterday. I put the stethoscope all over the area under the valve covers and still could not find the tick. The weird rattly marble noise is what has me really concerned, it never did that before. I'm gonna drop the pan and inspect the bottom end soon, hope to do it today but I'm not sure I'll have time after work

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Tick doesn't seem to change with rpm, but it's hard to tell without a second person. The valvetrain is fine, checked again yesterday. I put the stethoscope all over the area under the valve covers and still could not find the tick. The weird rattly marble noise is what has me really concerned, it never did that before. I'm gonna drop the pan and inspect the bottom end soon, hope to do it today but I'm not sure I'll have time after work
Get a buddy for an extra set of ears/hands. If the tick remains static while the engine spins faster, it seems impossible that it's related to any rotating piece of the engine (cam, valves, crank, etc.)
These trucks are loud. It makes it hard to audibly troubleshoot, I agree.

One guy posted a photo of an empty pack of Pal Mall's that had apparently been floating around in his oil pan for years!

Oerthedge21

That's the kinda thing I'm concerned about. It has a noise as if something is getting tossed around in the lower end, that marble noise. That's what I'm really worried about, maybe I forgot to tighten something for I dropped something down there who knows. Rather be safe and check than sorry with a rod stuck in the side panel on the side of the road

Oerthedge21

Just thinking about this while the oil drains, could a bent oil sprayer touching the bottom of a piston make that kind of tick? I hadn't even considered it when I put them in, but none of them looked bent out of shape and they all matched eachother pretty well

Oerthedge21

No marks on the bottoms of any pistons like the sprayers have been hitting. Pulled a few caps off, plstigauge reads about .004 inches, or .102mm, for all the ones I tested. All bearing surfaces still silver, minor wear in the very edges of some, nothin concerning. Noticed some heat marks in parts if the crank nets to some of the rod caps but I believe those were there before so I'm not too concerned. They all have the tiniest bit of side to side endplay on the crank journals, but no up and down or rocking. Not really sure what this things deal is then, I guess it's just gonna make noise

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold a Deuce to a guy in Texas. He flew to Dayton and he and his Brother drove it home. That thing had a knock we never found. I thought a chipmunk go in it and took a large hammer with him.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How old is the diesel that was originally in the tank before you overhauled it and how much of it was in it before you added new fuel to it?

I know of a truck that got to running rough and making strange noises so decision was made to overhaul it at a professional shop. New engine still didn't run right or sound right. Someone finally checked diesel fuel and it was dirty and had water in it. Drained fuel, changed all filters, and put in new fuel. Engine cleaned out and ran like it was supposed to after that! This was on a truck that was on the road all the time.

Oerthedge21

I drained as much fuel from the tank as I could with a transfer pump, I don't have an Allen key big enough for the huge drain plug on the tank. The fuel in there had atf, motor oil, (all clean, it was the drippings out of oil containers once I used them) which I heard was bad for ring break in so I sucked as much as I could out and put in 20 gallons of fresh diesel. It's possible that there's still some water in there as I did leave the cap open one night by mistake and it rained some. Truck ran fine though after that, although it's possible theres still a little bit of water in there. Wouldn't poor fuel make more of a fuel knock though? Or can that also lead to ticking? It runs great, no shakes, doesn't really vibrate much more than it's supposed to being the type of engine it is. I've never had much for fuel troubles with any of my diesels sonim not particularly bright in that department yet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks