• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine knocking LDS-456

Oerthedge21

For the oil sprayers, is there a certain torque the bolts are supposed to be tightened to? The TM just says to install them, no listing of torque or anyhting. Not does it list anything about thread locker. The bolts have no lock washers or anyhting either, just tightened right against the sprayer. Should I go to a certain torque, or maybe use some lock washers, or better yet would a little thread locker be the way to go? I dont wanna have one if those drop off into my crankshaft, something tells me that wouldn't be a very fun scenario.

Oerthedge21

Man I'm an idiot, I looked at that chart too and totally forgot about it. I'll go by that, thanks. Would a little thread locker be a big no-no here as extra insurance?

rustystud

Electricity is still produced by fossil fuel and coal. In fact, when the power factor is included, along with battery manufacturing and disposal, it is less efficient.
Well out here in the Pacific Northwest we use Hydro and Nuclear power. Hydro only costs to build and maintain the plant. The Grand Coulee dam is still pumping out watts every second of every day.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
yes, 80% of the PNW is produced by Hydroelectric. WA has the lowest cost per KWH in the nation. Unfortunately, the enviroweenies are trying to shut down and dismantle smaller hydro plants and have succeeded on some. The rest of the nation still require fossil fuel generation plants. So I doubt we have to worry about forced electric Dueces soon. BTW, hydrogen looks the most promising in the far future, Methane has too many drawbacks, although with politicians, much is produced.
Politicians added quite a bit to the power here which is actually 12 cents per kWh. zip 33334.
About 17.8% of that is the "added in" charges. They are added in for the graft, corruption, taxes, and my favorite, the "customer charge". I can't get electric from anywhere else so I am a customer.
But is is Deuce not Duece?

davidb56

I tried to edit my rant because it got off topic, but Frank captured it in a quote. I never really noticed how I spell Duece, as I let the spell checker automatically change everything....it does it even if I want to use a different word, so why bother?

Oerthedge21

IMG_20190922_121258702.jpg
Got 3 piston sets in their liners and dropped in, and managed to get the rear head on. Followed the torque chart, and dropped in the rocker arm assembly and lifters. Couldn't grab a picture since I'm working in the driveway and it got dark when those went on, no now the main part is half done I guess, took tomorrow off work so I hope to get the front 3 in as well.IMG_20190922_182328466.jpg

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on this picture it looks like the heads can be torqued down using regular tools. Is there a reason to need those offset 7/8" wrenches when changing head gaskets on this or LDT engines? Are guys only using them to check or re-torque the heads after everything else has been put back on?

Oerthedge21

Yes it's doable with regular tools, but you absolutely need that funky offset wrench. The nuts on the driver's side edge of the block are inaccessible without it. I'll put up a picture in a bit when I get out there to work on it some more. You can make the tool yourself if you have a few basic tools and a welder. I'll post up a pic of the one I made as well.

Oerthedge21

These are the nuts, not too terrible on the rear head but on the front the oil cooler assembly sites right there and you can't even fit a wrench down there. Crowsfoots don't fit either. What I did was cut a 3/4 socket down and welded it to the end of a 1/2" extension at a slight angle. Allows you to use a torque wrench up out of the way of the headIMG_20190923_095633830.jpgIMG_20190923_095737665_HDR.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried to edit my rant because it got off topic, but Frank captured it in a quote. I never really noticed how I spell Duece, as I let the spell checker automatically change everything....it does it even if I want to use a different word, so why bother?
Not to long ago a moderator removed all postings with Deuce spelled wrong.
Turn off the automatic spellcheck before you send something nasty to someone that you didn't even intend to be that way.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
These are the nuts, not too terrible on the rear head but on the front the oil cooler assembly sites right there and you can't even fit a wrench down there. Crowsfoots don't fit either. What I did was cut a 3/4 socket down and welded it to the end of a 1/2" extension at a slight angle. Allows you to use a torque wrench up out of the way of the headView attachment 777266View attachment 777267
There is numerous many and "choking point" amount of threads on the "crazy wrench" and what it means in offset vis-a-vis actual torque applied. lots of photos and information to be had, this is the TM stuff.

View attachment crazy wrench 1.pdf

View attachment crazy wrench 2.pdf

View attachment crazy wrench 3.pdf

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
and PS magazine which will not upload ............
Issue 596, July 2002
is 35 MB so One would go find that as it can not upload here.
Yes, I will e-mail it to whomever would like to read it or whomever can go find it and read it otherwise.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the nuts, not too terrible on the rear head but on the front the oil cooler assembly sites right there and you can't even fit a wrench down there. Crowsfoots don't fit either.

Oh yeah how could I have forgotten that side. Thanks for posting that up.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks