• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-25A engine issues

BT13Guy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chainbreaker,

The airplane was pulled from the Marshal Island chain in 1990. The airplane was amazingly intact. It was disassembled for the transport to the States. the hull was 80% there but heavily corroded. the aircraft had some pot shots taken at it over the years, but it was not demolition by US Forces, so it survived the war pretty intact. the Marshalese took parts off of her when they needed something but mostly all there. We have a few of us who are trained in 3D modeling and CATIA/Solid-works software for making production drawings and translating the Mitsubishi drawings into modern 3D models. we can then produce 2D files for production down to the hangar floor. It sounds like we have a whole lot of people and manufacturing going on but it is only 7 of us, 4 full time and 3 volunteers. Gotta have a love for aviation, and seeing these old birds fly. Just like MV and restoring military equipment, its a sickness!! Spurred on by "Olive Drab" syndrome as my wife calls it.

So we design the tooling off of the original part, we make a drawing of the new part, then we produce it. Everything is in house. We have a full machine shop, metal bending, shearing equipment, etc. Plus a lot of patience. I retired last year from DoD after 33 years (23 years active Marine, 10 yrs NAVAIR contractor) and moved home to be with my dad and finish the Zero, so its for sure a labor of love.

Here are a couple of pics of the jeeps I have restored:
SSGT Hammer.jpgIMG_0439.jpg

1946 CJ2A I converted for my Dad to a "MB" wanna be, and a 1952 M38 USMC jeep my buddy and i recovered in Yuma AZ and restored. 2007 at my retirement.
So, let me know if I can help wuith the harnesses, it would be fun to do, if you need anything let me know. if you ever come up this way we can certainly give you a tour of the project. Our doors are always open to like minded enthusiasts....:wink:

Chainbreaker

Nice Jeeps, I'm envious! Yep, the olive drab syndrome can become an incurable addiction! My dad was crew, as a blister gunner, on a B29 during the war flying bombing runs out of Tinian. I always looked at his old war photo's of B29's in awe as a child so the aviation seeds were planted early. I later obtained my pilots license and enjoyed flying when work didn't get in the way.

Funny you should mention NAVAIR...The company I was working for at the time, Intergraph Inc. during the 90's, participated in a huge NAVAIR contract for purchase of CAE/CAD/CAM simulation and design software. I headed up the team that executed the electronics software segment of the benchmark. We were eventually awarded the contract after successfully competing against all other competitors.

I have a good friend living in Seattle area so whenever I get up that way I will let you know in advance. Again, thanks for the wiring harness offer I'll let you know if I need help with it.

Anyway, were probably drifting a bit off course with our "aviation" related discussion in the Generator forum. If we talk much more aviation a Moderator may move us over to the "Planes & Helicopter" forum...lol

Guyfang

Staff member
The 28 VDC set was perfect for keeping batteries charged on a radio set up on a jeep or truck. The 60 Hertz set was good to run the Co's and First Shirts tent. Or a light set in a GP med. tent.And one person can carry it. Whats not to like!

BT13Guy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so far so good, this little genset is awesome. I have finished fabricating the battery platform. I will send out some pics of the genset later this morning. Still trying to tune the little carb, it was new in the box, and I am following the TM for set up. NO ETHANOL, so I should be good on the fuel settings.

More to follow

Gunny

BT13Guy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great success today!! New battery platform is finished and I charged the battery for over 45 minutes. Ran on the flight line and purred.
Finished unit:

IMG_2756.jpgIMG_2752.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

BT13Guy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang,
I do not have the electronic ignition. I have been watching one for sale on eBay from Satrunsurplus. It starts with one maybe two pulls, but if it is worth it in your opinion I will grab the one form Satrunsurplus and put it on. I have no where near the experience with these little engines compared to you all on the forum, so I am open to help getting this little girl running in top form.

OBTW, here are some close ups you asked for the other day.
IMG_2760.jpgIMG_2763.jpgIMG_2765.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
As long as it works, don't fool with it. But if you see the electronic ignition kit, and it's not so expensive you need to rob a bank, I would get it. The biggest PITA on these type engines, was points and timing. The kit ends that problem. Then wait till it needs a tune up, and install the kit. It's not hard.

In the bad old days, we had to file points, save condensers and steal parts. No money. I learned to hate points systems. An extra set of plugs is also a good idea.

Oh. Another hint. The linkage between the carb and the gov system. It's in the round do-hicky and the rubber hose. If you ever take it apart, plug up the rubber hose with a wad of paper. That hose will eat your screw, that fallers out of the linkage. That hose will send the screw to the oil pan. Lots of fun getting it back!

Last edited:

BT13Guy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will get the electronic kit of eBay. its only $49 bucks.

I am very used to points as I do them all the time in A/C magneto's. But they are a pain to get just right!! Yes, I saw the potential to lose a screw down that no-man's land dark deep cave!! I put a small paper towel in there to save me the trouble of shoving a magnet down there or worse pulling the oil pan off the bottom of the engine.

I have spare plugs, amazing this little engine uses aircraft large electrode plugs. I have champion and tempest plugs that will work just dandy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks