• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2019 - August VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

8madjack

Well, hard choices, but I picked Rmtaunton this month, I'm a sucker for a crane truck!

I have that exact model crane from an MTV to put on my M931a1...hopefully sooner than later. :beer:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes my Heart Feel Good to see you save the equipment from sitting idle and givin new life Robo.

I hope that it is not to much of a challenge to find parts for your equipment?
Depends. In the Netherlands are a few scrapyards with enough stuff to repair an army, not kidding. However, that's a 650 mile drive and unfortunately, I am not that often in the Netherlands anymore. So once I know what I need, I try to combine it with a visit to my family. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to send military stuff by post anymore, so that's a problem.

I am now going through my old threads to find a nice thread on the repairs; amazing what you find back when reading those.

For the moment, some stuff about the truck and its history can also be found on our Czech Emigration Museum website

.S5031878_resize.jpg S5031872_resize.jpg S5031870_resize.jpg

Migginsbros

IMG_0264.jpg IMG_0263.jpg

We service our truck and try to get all the on board equipment together in the near future, although many things comes with the truck.

IMG_7763.jpg IMG_7738.jpg IMG_7796.jpg IMG_7793.jpg IMG_7792.jpg IMG_7791.jpg IMG_7790.jpgIMG_7794.jpg IMG_7795.jpg

The truck is equipped with winch.
Winch is side mounted and has front and rear roller fairlead.

IMG_7724.jpg IMG_7725.jpg IMG_7729.jpg IMG_7771.jpg

Last edited:

eagle4g63

KIMG0890.jpg

Well do I get "props" for it actually being in a movie as a prop!! sorry for the cra*%y pic but had to snap a pic from off youtube with my phone....didn't know how to capture a still frame....anyway if you look to the far right you will hopefully recognize MY truck, in the background....got paid and everything.

Got to meet John Cusack, Wesley Snipes, and the every so racist Samuel Jackson.

Oh the movie really sucked but hey, my truck was in it!! AND I got paid, so I call it a win.[thumbzup]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am down to four but can't pull the trigger yet.:lost:

I have narrowed my choice to across the Atlantic Ocean.[thumbzup]
Wait till the last few days:
- you will not get voter's regret
- we have to do some hard canvassing to get you on our side, which will make PB happy as well.

Win-Win, but don't forget to put an alarm to remind you to vote in time.

More canvassing tonight (our time), have to go play blacksmith for children and other tourists now.

Migginsbros

IMG_0156.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

We got some troop seats and an aluminium stairway with fold up handrail.

Because there is no rear window to the driver, troops in the back have to use the signal switch
to communicate in emergency to the driver. (Buzzer)

IMG_7794.jpg :driver::driver:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Migg as Looong as the MAN is that is a Good option! The front and rear recovery is also a great help.

If you have already said but what year was your Truck manufactured? And how many Troops can the machine carry, and possible trailer size? Two divided axles or a single axle trailer?

The Truck really intrigues me.

Migginsbros

Migg as Looong as the MAN is that is a Good option! The front and rear recovery is also a great help.

If you have already said but what year was your Truck manufactured? And how many Troops can the machine carry, and possible trailer size? Two divided axles or a single axle trailer?

The Truck really intrigues me.
Thanx,
this ia a MAN 5t MIL GLW build in 1977. The W means "with winch" there are several produced without winch.
1 driver, 2 passengers in front and place for 16 persons on the bed/cargo area.
Today it is not allowed to use these troop seats because the persons are not sitting in driving direction (safety standarts)
The bed can also take two off 600gal./2300 liter fuel tanks or ammunition.
It has some safety feature like Quickstop/Notaus shut off the dieselheater and the whole electric circuit after the Batterie packs.

If you use the pneumatic for the trailerbrakes you can tow 20 tons. If the trailer has no brakes only 3 tons are allowed. Regardless of no. of axels.

Unfortunately we own no trailer.....but ....perhaps sometimes.

IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0193.jpg IMG_0210.jpg

Migginsbros

IMG_7705.jpg IMG_7707.jpg IMG_7710.jpg IMG_7711.jpg IMG_7714.jpg IMG_7715.jpg
IMG_7717.jpg IMG_7718.jpg

Meeting with friends matters. Since years we´ve met to cut a christmas tree.

We have a good time, back at the motorpool :wink: we take the chance on an oil change with filter this evening.:cool::cool:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here. Officially, I am allowed to transport 12 soldiers in the M51A2. I discussed this also with the Dutch DoT and the Czech police ... no dice ... no way.

Even for transporting tourists as part of a museum tour for a few miles from the museum to the Cold War border crossing between Nove Hrady, Czech Republic, and Austria. It now is a civilian vehicle, no people in the back.

TheQuaker

I've never been much of a self-promoter but I will give it my best shot on behalf of my big, bad girl here...
I purchased her Easter Weekend this year. She is my first MV.
She's a 1983 M923, Overhauled at Ft. Drum in 2007 and surplussed in 2012. She sat exactly where she was parked after arriving from AL for 6 years until I brought her to her new home.
Based on the unit markings on her she was last assigned to the 1151st Engineer Company, Alabama National Guard. Nice to have a rust-free southern truck in Michigan!
My first look at her:
IMG_1516.jpg
Getting her ready for the 3 hour drive home, Taking a break on the drive, her first-evening parking spot out at the farm and a million-dollar view of the fields (to me, at least) through her dirty windshield:
2019-08-20_1734.png041819 002.jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1859.jpg
The NHC250 currently installed is not the original engine. Per the ESN it was assembled in 1986. So the original engine was pulled and swapped out at some point:
IMG_1973.jpg
Untold hours of cleaning and uncounted days of getting her maintenance up to date and fixing/replacing items as I go:
IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2200.jpgIMG_2204.jpg
She is now looking and running terrific and I could not be happier with her. She is a big, beautiful girl!
IMG_2219.jpgIMG_2826.jpg

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having reasoned with myself over which of my favorites this month is my favoritest MV this month..... I shall now go cast my ballot.

(Go grab some coffee. I'll be right back from the polling place.)
(OK. I'm back now and have successfully cast my ballot.)

May the best MV win!!!

I look forward to the final results.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first goal was to make the truck street legal AND to make it a dual function: dump truck and tractor in one.
The first thing I did after buying the truck was going to the Dutch Department of Transport to get a preliminary inspection of the truck and ask if it would be possible to get papers at all. From there, we drove the truck to its new temporary home; an old dutch farm with enough room to have it parked.

DSC_0011_resize.JPG IMG_8518.jpg DSC_0069_resize.JPG

That was all for that year, it was November and I had to get back to the Czech Republic.
Five months later, in April, the next step was to remove the dump bed to have better access for repairs and to start prepare for the dump - tractor conversion.

IMG_8552_resize.jpg DSC_0012_resize.JPG

The first big success: changing the original - and forbidden - army pintle for a certified European style "fish mouth" trailer coupling.

IMG_8548_resize.JPG IMG_8568_resize.jpg IMG_8562_resize.jpg

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For even better access, remove the tires as well.

M51A2-2011-may_10_resize.JPG M51A2-2011-may_15_resize.JPG M51A2-2011-may_14_resize.JPG

DSC_0110_resize.jpg

Tires and lots of beams to make sure the truck is safe and stable enough to work under and to test the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks