• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 disc brake conversion

I need someone to tell me how hard it is to do a disc brake conversion on my M35A3 or is there some other reason the I have to stand on the pedal every time I come to a red light ? ....I really like to be able to stop quick as you all know if I were to hit a car in the rear it would not be a good thing....yall know how much clearance these trucks have.....thanks to all who give good advice on this and understand this is my first MV and I don't know as much most members on this site

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read that properly functioning drum brakes on them are as good as the disks. Your A3 has a split system MC, 50/50, that a lot of duece owners would be glad to have. They did go to the 1 1/2" piston on the front of the A3 from the 1 3/8" of the A2. Since calipers require different pressure, even the MC would need changed.

If you are not going to bigger tires, that put more stress on the brakes... get yours working right and don't waste the money for such a huge project.

If you plan on changing gears and making a highway cruiser, or a super cool monster truck, instead of being one of the slowest vehicles on the highway.... and have unlimited funds...then disks make sense.

My 4x4 gets the larger 1.5 WC on the rear for a balanced 50/50 when I get my bigger tires....I'm on 14.5 now.

What size tires are you on? The A2 with Spicer is an OD tranny and your Allison is a 1/1.

Make sure your rear lights work very well as the A3 is not capable of keeping up on the interstates and high speed roads of today. Do you know about their tranny problems and do you know if yours is rebuilt?

Last edited:

sue

We have “53s on ours with stock drums
and it will lock them up in a heartbeat.
Something is amiss with your system.

my funds are very limited and my wife is still mad about my new toy as I call it ...I have only had it about 4 months and have had a few problems so far as far as the brakes go I have to almost stand on them but they do work ...thats why I was dreaming about disc brakes as far as the transmission goes I don't know if it has been rebuilt the guy I got it from said the truck was refurbished in 1998 ....it has 14.5 x 20 Michelin tires on it and I'm happy with them so far . I don't get on the interstate with the truck because it only does about 50 mph but I usually just cruse it around 45 .I am just now figuring out how to use SS for advise so thank you for your help and if you know more especially transmission problems or any other problems

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You just gonnah have to jack it up and inspect all the brake internals and fix it if is is worn or wasted or otherwise not as design.

You got the truck so labor is cheap, your labor. Parts for that are not expensive.

Something like 1400 reverse HP dissipating the heat........

The brakes on that truck will stop as per design, fully loaded, up or down hills. Used to have 12 guys in the motor pool fixin the trucks, now you are them.

This is not a Toyota You take to the dealer
Now, you havetah go find the problem, like work on it.
clean 4.jpg

Last edited:
I hear ya .....and you are right im going to have to figure it out and fix it . thanks for the reality check I was just trying to be lazy and stay in the A/C but that's not going to get the job done ......I am starting to think I made a good decision joining SS ...I have learned a lot of good info so far

snowtrac nome

if the pedal is hard it sounds like you aren't getting any assist out of the air pack. last a-3 I drove the pedal seemed to require more force to hold It down than the old single master cylinder a-2, but it would stop. Brakes are one reason I went with the lmtv over time air brakes require a lot less labor to keep working.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay attention to the tranny slipping in forward 4th and reverse. They used poor quality seals on that clutch pack and together with locking torque converter are having issues as they age.

Every one of the A3's are rebuilt and used parts from the surplus A2's that may be many years older. The Cat and Allison were new....but the 5600 A3's are the only vehicle in the world they used the Allison 545 adding a lock up torque converter and call it a 1545.

I don't think you need to re-engineer your brakes, just get everything working right. Use the search function and change up your key words if you are having trouble. It's probably the booster. I have not taken mine on yet (rebuild) to give you advise but I believe these brakes stop fine when all is working right.

Good luck with the wife.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Is there oil on the back side or bottom of any of your brake assembly backing plates? You may simply have a few hubs that are leaking oil and have oiled down the shoes and drums. They also may simply all need adjustment, as they are not self adjusting brakes.

I'll take the opportunity now to tell you what I'm surprised nobody else has so far; you need to disassemble, inspect, and grease all six hubs and replace all six brake wheel cylinders while you have it apart. You can then do a brake adjustment when you reassemble each hub.

If you do find oiled down brake shoes, don't panic. While you can find replacement shoes for as little as $25/ ea, you can usually salvage them instead of replacing by soaking them in an acetone bath overnight. I don't advise this if the shoes are well worn.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
~Is there oil on ~ ~ I'm surprised nobody else ~ disassemble, inspect, and grease all six hubs and replace all six brake wheel cylinders while you have it apart~ you can find replacement shoes for as little as $25/ ea, ~ usually salvage them~ acetone bath overnight. I don't advise this if the shoes are well worn.
One must take it apart and inspect the workings of it all.
Never know what one may find.

considerable mess 1.jpg

considerable mess 2.jpg

Your truck, now You have to work. Not a problem. When fixed it will stay fixed.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about your CTIS? The A3 is bad for leaving your truck setting on flats. There are so many places to leak and seals that have to work right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks