• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TWO M151 MUTTs! New to me...

Smittybo

Sooo, after many years of searching for an M151, and finding very few (and astronomically priced, at that), I came across not one, but TWO M151 MUTTs locally. One is a 1961 (pre-A1) and the other is a 1966 A2. Both are in fantastic mechanical and working order, and have just cosmetic things to attend to (mostly paint, and a small amount of rust here and there). Since I bought both together, the owner threw in a boatload of extra parts and accessories. Extra doors, side curtains, tops, Wheels and tires, miscellaneous parts (starters, switches, axels, distributors, etc... a practical 3-Shop collection of parts). Neither are re-welds from the DOT massacre -they were somehow spared, as they were originally acquired by a movie production outfit for "props" in movies. The guy I bought them from went through some hoops and got them both titled with the state (required a municipal judge to grant titling and ownership), and I got both of them re-titled and registered without a hitch. Both are still 24 Volt - unmolested, and both still have all the features, like blackout lights, etc. I'm dressing the A2 out the way my last M151 was in 3rd Armored Division in Frankfurt was before we switched over to the overrated HMMWV, and the other one I'm going to have a bit of other "fun" with in its theme. To buy them, I sold my pristine and very upgraded 2000 MR2 Spyder.... I loved that car and it was fast, and a blast... but it was very well worth the sacrifice for these two babies! I'm the guy who has a complete and unopened C-Ration meal (had two, and donated one to the local VA for display in their trophy case). This is nostalgia Heaven for me! They both smell, feel and handle exactly as I remember when I was driving them in my first three duty stations in the Army! And... the looks I get whilst driving them around town... you can spot the Veterans from a mile away!! I'm not "restoring" them (aesthetically) to their exact original state, but I'm definitely making them something to appreciate during every Veterans Day parade and our local Hot August Nights classic car rally here in Reno every year. And in between those events, I will enjoy them immensely in the vast open country off-road spaces we have here in Nevada!!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome and congrats on your procurement on not one but two unmolested 151's. I like the 151 also but the HMMVW is also a Great Mule!

It will take time for sure as the Military Jeep was long in the tooth at 40 years. And continues to this day as a civilian CJ. But lets give the HMMVW a chance also to win Our approval, I would wager that it will not disappoint!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will take time for sure as the Military Jeep was long in the tooth at 40 years. And continues to this day as a civilian CJ. But lets give the HMMVW a chance also to win Our approval, I would wager that it will not disappoint!
The 40 year mark is coming up pretty quick for the HMMWV. This year actually falls on the 40th anniversary of the 1st prototype by AM General. I was unfortunate enough to be in while we were turning the M151s in to be chopped up. They had to be in running condition with all components just so DLA could cut them in half.

nattieleather

Nice find, A2's were not manufactured until 1970, your 66 would be a M151A1.
There are two possible answers. 1 is someone took a A1 and put A2 fenders on it. or and more likely the 2nd is someone took a 70s A2 and got it titled as a 66. Since no form 97 were given with 151s people got them titled by many different means and they got the year wrong.

acudanut

"There are two possible answers. 1 is someone took a A1 and put A2 fenders on it. or and more likely the 2nd is someone took a 70s A2 and got it titled as a 66. Since no form 97 were given with 151s people got them titled by many different means and they got the year wrong"

Unless you show us pictures of the Jeep, the bottom side of the rear wheel area, the VIN tag, nobody knows what you got. As mentioned, No A2 were built until 1970.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The 40 year mark is coming up pretty quick for the HMMWV. This year actually falls on the 40th anniversary of the 1st prototype by AM General. I was unfortunate enough to be in while we were turning the M151s in to be chopped up. They had to be in running condition with all components just so DLA could cut them in half.
They did it different here in Germany. At the CANN Point, the Dutch bought almost all the M151's. Then they pulled out engines and axles. Then they pounded the jeeps till they were about 14 inches thick, with a huge steel weight. Everything got loaded 4-5 jeeps high, on large tractors and trailers. Of they drove to a scrap yard. I watched them do this for several years in K-Town.

Jericho

As bad when the Army turned some in. I remember a whole line being crushed as a M 88 was run down over the hoods by a track, then the Germans allowed a shredder to dispose of them . Still not to be out done they were then hauled to Poland for disposal because a LOCAL haz mat fella said the rads had been full of anti freeze and were not drained . I was there to redispose of 55 gallon drums of Jet Engine 7808 Oil that we had generated in in shop mait . Turned it in, then after wall came down found it was a whole new ball game . No more waste oil with out paying local German firm big money they in turn hauled it to France and disposed of it ! So I didn't break the bank in my flight monies we flew it on a trash run C 130 to Spain for disposal marked as JET Engine Oil to my FOL . In the end before I left we couldn't even wash an Airplane in Germany

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother was a new 2nd LT in the early 80s and his first assigned vehicle when he got to the 82nd AB was an M151A2. He did not like the truck as he said it was beat...and he said he really wanted a HMMWV that was just coming into use. With that said, he has driven my M151A2 and he loves it. He says that it is much nicer than the one he had.

As an aside, he also had an M1009 when he was at Ft. Richardson, AK that had a full arctic kit on it. He said he loved the truck and the heater would chase him out of the truck!

Guyfang

Staff member
As bad when the Army turned some in. I remember a whole line being crushed as a M 88 was run down over the hoods by a track, then the Germans allowed a shredder to dispose of them . Still not to be out done they were then hauled to Poland for disposal because a LOCAL haz mat fella said the rads had been full of anti freeze and were not drained . I was there to redispose of 55 gallon drums of Jet Engine 7808 Oil that we had generated in in shop mait . Turned it in, then after wall came down found it was a whole new ball game . No more waste oil with out paying local German firm big money they in turn hauled it to France and disposed of it ! So I didn't break the bank in my flight monies we flew it on a trash run C 130 to Spain for disposal marked as JET Engine Oil to my FOL . In the end before I left we couldn't even wash an Airplane in Germany
Good old 7808! The bain of my life in Patriot. We used it in our 150 Turbine get set. Was impossible to get for the Army. So, as I was looking at the deployment of all Patriot Units in Europe, for the first Sand Box War, I went to see my Zoomie Seinor Master Sargent buddy. Brought back a truck load for all deploying Patriot units. If you thought Hazmat was bad when you were here, you would fall over now. Its not legal to was a car on the streets now.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good old 7808! The bain of my life in Patriot. We used it in our 150 Turbine get set. Was impossible to get for the Army ~ If you thought Hazmat was bad when you were here, you would fall over now.
Like everybody else I would love to have my jeep I drove all over Germany. On another note where I worked here in the US on jet engines We used Aeroshell 500 in those machines that would use it up. When We had a leak or had to get rid of 20 barrells at a time there was no problem, a company happily just came and got all of it for free.
7808 is Aroshell 500 which was then over $500 a bbl.
AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 is a 5 centistoke synthetic hindered ester oil incorporating additives to help improve thermal and oxidational stability, AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 was developed to meet these requirements. ... In the U.S.A., the U.S. Air Force continues to prefer 3 mm2/s oils, and, more recently, 4 mm2/s oils, and maintains their performance requirements by revisions to specification MIL-PRF-7808 (formerly MIL-L-7808).
In extensive laboratory testing and in-flight performance, Mobil Jet Oil II is recommended for aircraft gas turbine engines of the ... AeroShell 500 (Qt) | Turbine Oil ... Eastman 2389 Turbio Oil MIL-PRF-7808 / MIL-C-7808C - QT.
same same oils.
Just wanted to say that my Deuce could/did burn it up as fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks