Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mep-8xx 400Hz to 60Hz conversion

Thanks
    Thanked 5,116 Times in 2,479 Posts

Let's not all be negative about it here. It is possible to use this set for radar. And aircraft. And it would be great for a purely restive load like heaters. There are some places to use them. But not a lot. So you are not going to have the world knocking your door down to buy it. There are lots of useful parts on it. Since you haven't chosen to tell us your intent behind buying it in the first place, it's hard to give the right advice. Was it for private use? Or resale? What's your level of mechanical abilities? There are folks out there with 60 hertz sets with bad engines. Engine swap is easy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

76shovel (08-20-2019), Light in the Dark (08-20-2019)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 669 Posts

If you find someone who requires a resistive load, that's your best bet (industrial heating, etc). Resistive loads don't care about hertz.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

76shovel (08-20-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,146 Posts

I have a couple AB freq controls (speed), 25 hp, that I have thought about using before for controlling the AC. It rectifies to a DC buss and then chops it up into the desired freq.. It's 480V however....and I have not tried such a thing...just thought about it.

Been saving them for a windmill, but that dream has about faded.

I suggest to take the gen and electrics off and use the engine for something else, like hydraulic pump or water pump.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

Sergeant
    Thanks

My intentions with this unit was purely a parts unit. I came across it from another member in the ads page. So i made the 8hr journey and looked at it and made a deal. Plus he had some eye candy in his yard we looked at as he told me about the process to get them and make them what they are...he was a super great guy...anyhow, i got the unit home amd started looking at it and noticed a few things and got them taken care of and it started making power. My thing is i hate to disassemble something that works fine just for hopes of use for something else...i work on and fix junk not break it apart...lol...so i figured if i could convert it, it would still keep the heart of it alive. Either way im in it whether a good choice or bad. If i keep it for parts for my 803 then they sit till needed and potential what was good is no longer so im still out. Everything seems sound in it and you can tell someone was in there and wasnt very "tech savvy" as some of the work was very amateur but all is decent now. I wont say good but atleast is functional now. Anyhow I'm babbling amd things arnt making sense. Anybody have any ideas on what to do. As far as I can imagine is the gen head isnt needed and the harness for the power side isnt needed....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 76shovel For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (08-21-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,146 Posts

If you have something that needs 400 hz....you are set to go.

It might make a wrecker pony engine.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

Thanks

There's an 803 with seized engine up for auction tomorrow in Georgia.
    Mep 831a, MEP 803a

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69birdman For This Useful Post:

76shovel (08-23-2019), Guyfang (08-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,116 Times in 2,479 Posts

Basically the main gen and control cube. Yeah, you could keep the control cube, but take out 90-95% of the contents. Engine and engine harness stays.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

76shovel (08-23-2019)

Sergeant
    Thanks

That thing went for more than i thought it would!!!

I didn't realize there was that much difference in the wiring. I figured a few components but would had thought the harness would had been compatible. That just foes to show my ignorance about these units. Thank you for informing me cause I would had attempted to do the swap and would had been up creek with a hole in my boat and...no paddle!

I think the best plan for me is to use it for a parts unit and strip it down although it is against how I feel about running items. Main thing will be the engine swap cause my current 60hz unit the oil pressure drops to the point of concern after an hr of running. And with the low hrs on this 400hz I feel i can rest assure it will be fine from what I have seen with the run time i have put on it and the oil pressure drop. Maybe a rebuild on that other engine will be in order and give it a new look on life down the road.

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 76shovel View Post
    I didnt think it was all that detailed. Alot more to change than i thought. Well. I guess i need to find a frequency transducer for this unit so it is complete functionally and put it up for sale.

As for the manuals i thought i had downloaded all of them from off the site here but obviously i missed a few. Gonna put that on the list to double check and make sure i have all.

Thank you for all the experienced guidance from everyone!!!
    What's going to be the asking price?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2