• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-8xx 400Hz to 60Hz conversion

76shovel

Has anybody converted a 400hz gen to a 60Hz. What all would be required...gen head, frequency transducer, Hz gauge, and load meter.

I picked this unit up not making power but runs. Got it home and making power now but the Hz gauge isnt working. I have 112ac on one side of the transducer but nothing on the other. I did check for continuity from the gauge to the frequency transducer and both wires were good. The unit has new Hz meter, new load meter, and new volt meter. You can tell someone has been inside doing repairs from poor solder work and I resoldered those connections amd feel they are good now.

Not really concerned about fixing it for a 400Hz configuration. Thought about trying a conversion if i can gather the parts to do it. Just wasnt sure about what all is entailed about doing so.

Any thoughts or comments as to why i should or shouldn't or advice is appreciated

76shovel

Kloppk...to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out how to use these manuals. I have the -24 but i guess i havnt put my nose to the grind stone. I pulled them out yesterday trying to figure out whst was going on with it but really didnt get much guidance from it, so i know I'm not using it as intended. I know it sounds silly but from what i gathered i looked up concern and told me what symptom number to look up and habe me a brief description pf was to do. I didnt see any sections pertaining to specific areas in detail...i just looked...9-6115-642-24...all that i have is diagrams and schematics and that is it. Is there more to this manual. I printed it off from here. I have the omes for the engine and seem complete but no much for the genset itself...

Tinstar...ya I done a search but didnt read all of the post but everything I read is a hit and miss about it.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suggest you download the respective -24P TM for the generator you are wanting to convert.
The -24P TM is the complete parts list for virtually every single part of the generator not including the engine components.
For parts that differ between the two 60 & 400 Hz versions such as the Frequency Transducer there will be two part numbers listed as in my example above for the 802A.
In my example above..
The PN 19260 transducer is for the 60 Hz verson as it has the UOC code EMH listed with it.
The PN 19270 transducer is for the 400 Hz version as it has the UOC code ENY listed under it.

The screen shots in the post above are from the 802A manual to give you and example to follow.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-10 is operators manual (overview of operation)
-24 is troubleshooting
-24P is all exploded parts diagrams with respective tech info

Guyfang

Staff member
You have no idea about what you are getting into. It would be better to just find another 60 hertz gen set that needs an engine. Your list of parts to change is way too short. Or, find a control panel Assy, with wire harnesses, main gen and a few other things. You can keep the engine wire harness, but that's about it. This would be something to do if you were snowed in for a few months.

76shovel

I didnt think it was all that detailed. Alot more to change than i thought. Well. I guess i need to find a frequency transducer for this unit so it is complete functionally and put it up for sale.

As for the manuals i thought i had downloaded all of them from off the site here but obviously i missed a few. Gonna put that on the list to double check and make sure i have all.

Thank you for all the experienced guidance from everyone!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didnt think it was all that detailed. Alot more to change than i thought. Well. I guess i need to find a frequency transducer for this unit so it is complete functionally and put it up for sale.

As for the manuals i thought i had downloaded all of them from off the site here but obviously i missed a few. Gonna put that on the list to double check and make sure i have all.

Besides posting that 400hz here is there any where else i could post it...what do they go for? ...any takers...lol

Howdy,

In our world... It's known as a great parts machine. 8)

Circle back through MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts

2nd post has quick links, 3rd has the manuals listed you need. and Why you do ​NOT want a MEP-813A 10kw 400Hz generator

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Let's not all be negative about it here. It is possible to use this set for radar. And aircraft. And it would be great for a purely restive load like heaters. There are some places to use them. But not a lot. So you are not going to have the world knocking your door down to buy it. There are lots of useful parts on it. Since you haven't chosen to tell us your intent behind buying it in the first place, it's hard to give the right advice. Was it for private use? Or resale? What's your level of mechanical abilities? There are folks out there with 60 hertz sets with bad engines. Engine swap is easy.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find someone who requires a resistive load, that's your best bet (industrial heating, etc). Resistive loads don't care about hertz.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple AB freq controls (speed), 25 hp, that I have thought about using before for controlling the AC. It rectifies to a DC buss and then chops it up into the desired freq.. It's 480V however....and I have not tried such a thing...just thought about it.

Been saving them for a windmill, but that dream has about faded.

I suggest to take the gen and electrics off and use the engine for something else, like hydraulic pump or water pump.

76shovel

My intentions with this unit was purely a parts unit. I came across it from another member in the ads page. So i made the 8hr journey and looked at it and made a deal. Plus he had some eye candy in his yard we looked at as he told me about the process to get them and make them what they are...he was a super great guy...anyhow, i got the unit home amd started looking at it and noticed a few things and got them taken care of and it started making power. My thing is i hate to disassemble something that works fine just for hopes of use for something else...i work on and fix junk not break it apart...lol...so i figured if i could convert it, it would still keep the heart of it alive. Either way im in it whether a good choice or bad. If i keep it for parts for my 803 then they sit till needed and potential what was good is no longer so im still out. Everything seems sound in it and you can tell someone was in there and wasnt very "tech savvy" as some of the work was very amateur but all is decent now. I wont say good but atleast is functional now. Anyhow I'm babbling amd things arnt making sense. Anybody have any ideas on what to do. As far as I can imagine is the gen head isnt needed and the harness for the power side isnt needed....

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have something that needs 400 hz....you are set to go.

It might make a wrecker pony engine.

Guyfang

Staff member
Basically the main gen and control cube. Yeah, you could keep the control cube, but take out 90-95% of the contents. Engine and engine harness stays.

76shovel

That thing went for more than i thought it would!!!

I didn't realize there was that much difference in the wiring. I figured a few components but would had thought the harness would had been compatible. That just foes to show my ignorance about these units. Thank you for informing me cause I would had attempted to do the swap and would had been up creek with a hole in my boat and...no paddle!

I think the best plan for me is to use it for a parts unit and strip it down although it is against how I feel about running items. Main thing will be the engine swap cause my current 60hz unit the oil pressure drops to the point of concern after an hr of running. And with the low hrs on this 400hz I feel i can rest assure it will be fine from what I have seen with the run time i have put on it and the oil pressure drop. Maybe a rebuild on that other engine will be in order and give it a new look on life down the road.

jamawieb

What's going to be the asking price?

Blade70301

I'm looking for parts for a MEP-803A.
Need S1 switch.
Stop solenoid with arm and knob/bolt.
Exhaust Flap
Tube assembly for main fuel with banjo fitting. Mine is missing.
7.5 circuit breaker.
Main fuel pump and fittings. Mine is missing.
Aux fuel pump and fittings. Mine is missing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks