• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter and fuel pump mod

cucvrus

After all the work you done you could surely change that injection pump at dusk or on a cooler day. Not a real hard job. No specialty tools needed. Just the rebuilt pump and an intake gasket set for a J code 6.2 diesel. A beginner can do it easily in 6 hours. Good Luck. But changing the injection pump is fairly easy and paying someone to do it is expensive when you don't have the money. Hardest part I know of is getting the injection lines reattached in the tin formed mounts on the intake studs/bolts. That ain't that hard if you leave the nozzle nuts unattached. Good Luck. Be Safe.

russojap

How much would it cost to rent a truck and dolly from U-haul vs. Injection pump? Seems like you have already sunk too much money into chasing the problem already. At least it should be cooler in a few weeks if you're still in the parking lot pulling the engine out. :roll:

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to simply test if the engine will run.

To drive home, yes.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is painful, and I’m not the one stranded.
I thought more SS members would be in the area.
I absolutely hate someone stranded like that.
Agree if cash available, rent a uhaul truck and trailer.
Get it home or at least to a members property.

Walk away and leave it there is property abandonment, unless arrangements with property owner are made and in writing.

I was just out there flying a few weeks ago in the NAPA/Fairfield area.

russojap

He could join AAA and be covered instantly for one 200 mile tow. That should be enough to get the truck somewhere that it can be stored, or some assistance can be given.

I think for the plan that costs around $30 more , you can get a 300 mile tow.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree. Can’t imagine trying to fix a truck for that long. If he was here in SE Texas we’d had him fixed and rolling long ago.

mmcwill56

At the end of day 18 I sold the truck where she sat for 2700. I'm sure it was the injector pump. A kid who had been coming around since day and has two 80s k30s but not a cucv wanted it bad so i sold it to him. Broke my heart and now I'm without a vehicle. He paid me 1000 and upon receipt of the title the other 1700 is paid. So I rode the train from Davis California to Seattle. Train hit an RV stalled on the tracks outside of Eugene Oregon.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the epilogue. Lesson learned, CUCVs should not be considered reliable until considerable preventive and predictive maintenance has been done. The injector pump seems to have a 10? year life between overhauls regardless of usage.

russojap

At the end of day 18 I sold the truck where she sat for 2700. I'm sure it was the injector pump. A kid who had been coming around since day and has two 80s k30s but not a cucv wanted it bad so i sold it to him. Broke my heart and now I'm without a vehicle. He paid me 1000 and upon receipt of the title the other 1700 is paid. So I rode the train from Davis California to Seattle. Train hit an RV stalled on the tracks outside of Eugene Oregon.
Thanks for the update, I hope you will let him know about the forum and he will continue this interesting thread. Are you planning on another cucv?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks