• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV illegal on highway in Canada (Quebec)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you fellas and ladies have any favorite local media contacts? Many individuals making calls to local media across the States and having them call the number below to find out what the latest 'rules' are for tourists in Quebec may net some answers. Quebec is still not sure. A good journalist can make a special interest hobby ban news worthy.

I followed up with transportation and they chased me over to the 'permit' section suggesting I'd need to buy a class 5 permit for a 5 ton AMGeneral. I'd also need a class 5 permit for a motorhome. Those currently in or traveling to Quebec in a motorhome may or may not be fined if they do not have a permit. Quebec is still not sure and there's a lot of info to go through so neither am I.
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/e...imensions/Pages/exces-charges-dimensions.aspx

Those French lessons are paying off because the permit form can only be found in French.
https://www.gpm.transports.gouv.qc.ca/Commun/ChoixProfil.aspx
https://login.microsoftonline.com/t...r&x-client-SKU=ID_NET451&x-client-ver=5.2.1.0

Here's the number and the website where a person can pose questions to the correct transportation department.

1 888 355-0511 (everywhere in North America)

jcdostie

There’s a meeting today with Bonnardel in Quebec. So it’s time to call and send emails to make sure he understands this important issue for us

Thanks for the help
JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

jcdostie

Here’s a quick update.
Some of us received their MV renewal papers. It’s no longer possible to have it registered as a regular vehicle.
It’s now mandatory to have the restricted plate number starting with a C.
So, one of us went and did the change and got caught on a road with a speed limit of 90 km/h. The cops said he can no longer drive on those roads.
Please, send at least an email to the Ministry just asking about a possible road trip in Quebec this fall and what are the legislation.
Nobody is answering emails or calls at his office nor at SAAQ.
It’s getting harder now !!!

JC

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s a quick update.
Some of us received their MV renewal papers. It’s no longer possible to have it registered as a regular vehicle.
It’s now mandatory to have the restricted plate number starting with a C.
So, one of us went and did the change and got caught on a road with a speed limit of 90 km/h. The cops said he can no longer drive on those roads.
Please, send at least an email to the Ministry just asking about a possible road trip in Quebec this fall and what are the legislation.
Nobody is answering emails or calls at his office nor at SAAQ.
It’s getting harder now !!!

JC

After talking to Quebec today I'm convinced this will get resolved to current MV owners satisfaction but future MV owners will see changes. Safety sense will prevail and we'll all have an opportunity to guide our MV future, it just continues to take time.

November 11th is going to be very difficult on a bunch of people that are working real hard to try and correct this. Everyone was digging to try and make this go away in September, then October and now, Remembrance Day. The rest of Canada will be honouring Veterans in our MV's and every province will be looking at Quebec, wondering why you're not out there with us.

Grandad and his brother fought in WW1. Grandads brother, Ralph Crickmay Ewing, still rests in the Regina trench in Vimy and Grandad made it home. Grandad and another guy survived a slaughter of 20 other men he was with when German guns ambushed them. That's why Grandad didn't talk much about the war.

Thanks to Grandad, we get to talk about the Quebec story and hope it's just days, not weeks or months when we write the final chapter.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After talking to Quebec today I'm convinced this will get resolved to current MV owners satisfaction but future MV owners will see changes. Safety sense will prevail and we'll all have an opportunity to guide our MV future, it just continues to take time.

November 11th is going to be very difficult on a bunch of people that are working real hard to try and correct this. Everyone was digging to try and make this go away in September, then October and now, Remembrance Day. The rest of Canada will be honouring Veterans in our MV's and every province will be looking at Quebec, wondering why you're not out there with us.

Grandad and his brother fought in WW1. Grandads brother, Ralph Crickmay Ewing, still rests in the Regina trench in Vimy and Grandad made it home. Grandad and another guy survived a slaughter of 20 other men he was with when German guns ambushed them. That's why Grandad didn't talk much about the war.

Thanks to Grandad, we get to talk about the Quebec story and hope it's just days, not weeks or months when we write the final chapter.
I encourage you to use that impending date as leverage to motivate by potential public outcry any elected, appointed, or hired official to GIT 'ER DONE! No bureaucrat likes that sort of negative fallout to be looming over their governmental employment security.

Still praying from Texas for your quick and satisfactory resolution to this situation.

John

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the smell of roses and it doesn't smell like roses. It smells better than blue cheese so on a scale of one to ten with cheese being ten and one being roses, it smells like campfire.
Calming, warm and soothing but it's going to continue to need attention.

It was the background noise, even just the little phone calls, the constant push for facts, information and corrections that helped steer this. Thank you. When the girls answering the phone start saying..."Oh, it's you guys!"....we know we've done good. Once this has settled I'll post contact information so those who helped work through this can receive fair praise.

JC, keep us updated when you can. Until the letters come out the defensive condition is still high so there will be updates.

TRANSLATED LINK

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/10/29/vehicules-militaires--la-saaq-devrait-assouplir-ses-regles-1?fbclid=IwAR2QjfnfgSAh56RAl4xiMGTeZuGAnAQdOYX5F1hL16294KiQIkhehg8yy7I""""""""""""""""After two months of exchanges between owners of military-type vehicles and the government that wanted to restrict their use on the road network, both parties seem to have found common ground to settle the dispute.

About 1500 owners of military vehicles were furious with the SAAQ since August 22. For several weeks, the group has multiplied the steps and protests.

The Société de l 'assurance automobile du Québec decided to limit the use of these vehicles on public roads where the speed limit is equal to or less than 70 km / h. These vehicles were to be banned from highways, as well as on provincial roads where the limit is 90 km / h.

In the middle of summer, Transport Minister François Bonnardel signed a ministerial decree to this effect. When asked about the subject, the minister remained firm in his intention to ban their use on highways and provincial highways for security reasons.

However, exchanges have continued in recent weeks and the ministerial order could be amended soon.

Military-type vehicles should be able to access the entire road network once they have passed a certification by an independent engineer followed by a mechanical audit to ensure that the vehicles are safe.

For those registered before August 22, 2019, they will benefit from a three-year transition period to obtain certification.
Modifications

The minister also intends to propose an amendment to the Highway Safety Code to establish the principles.

"We will believe in the good faith of everyone in this issue," said a relatively satisfied """"""""""""""""""

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess.........................

could have been worse? Or still could be?? Only one stroke of a pen from happening here in the States. =-(

jcdostie

The weird thing is I spoke with SAAQ yesterday (engineering department) for my motorhome project. They told me I cannot license my MV as a motorhome (RV). I asked why, they said it’s because it’s a Military Vehicle, that’s it !
I taught a bit and asked if I keep the truck as a Heavy Vehicle. He said I can do the modification I want !

I simply don’t understand

JC

Reworked LMTV

People are fed up with the fed's logic.

The weird thing is I spoke with SAAQ yesterday (engineering department) for my motorhome project. They told me I cannot license my MV as a motorhome (RV). I asked why, they said it’s because it’s a Military Vehicle, that’s it !
I taught a bit and asked if I keep the truck as a Heavy Vehicle. He said I can do the modification I want !

I simply don’t understand

JC

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a Christmas miracle but the sleigh is built.

The objective to release the restrictions on MV owners in Quebec has not been met.

Here's a link to the English version of a website a newly formed association has assembled.

a snippet

"""""""In 2019, the S.A.A.Q. unilaterally chose to declare many many historic military vehicles that had been traveling freely on Quebec roads for many years as “Off Road” vehicles.

The Minister of Transportation of Québec, Mister François Bonnardel, then signed an Arrêté Ministériel in July of 2019 which severely restricts the right of history military vehicles to be driven on the roads in the province of Québec, and they will be permanently prohibited after August 22nd 2024 !""""""""

The folks in the battle are solid so the end of the story will be favorable. Back them up if you can.

Other strategies for advancing the position of HMV owners across the continent are welcome.

jcdostie

I think we have no choice but to organize a historical site visit in Quebec. I will make another post in events

JC

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we have no choice but to organize a historical site visit in Quebec. I will make another post in events

JC

We're going to visit Quebec regardless of the minister's decision so I'll follow-up on the events page. We should know more after the weekend with another deadline passing Jan. 30 . Let's hope avmq.org has a favourable announcement but either way it's inspired a lot of investigation, counter action, public interaction and wonderful media plans.

One limiting issue that hasn't been finalized is a retraction from AM General that MV's shouldn't be owned by the public.

AM General is a contributing factor to MV Owner current challenges. Let's open the discussion on strategies about getting these guys on our side in some fashion.
I know what I think about a corporation effecting change on MV Ownership that's been relatively common for decades but I'd like to know what others think.

On thing I didn't know would be effective was the famous "Mass Letter", sent en-masse in a strategic timed fashion. Apparently, when the same letter is signed by a lot of people and continues to arrive on someone's desk, it is a shocking presentation that you've been put on notice. That's in the Quebec redaction plan so we might get to use it here.

What can we do about AM General?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's smelling like roses in here. There are more details to come but essentially the restrictions have been lifted and Transportation Quebec is turning the clock back a year. Engineers, MV collectors and government will get it together and continue to find a simpler way to bring the MV hobby to the public. Authentic turret and gun mount displays will be seen in parade and the threat of removing MV's from the street by 2024 is in the history books. One overreach at a time.

A quick toast to the folks that kept up the dig to find common sense, it's time to celebrate.

There's a lot to translate so here's a little blurb.

""""""The suspension of the application of the provisions listed in the first paragraph of section 1 also applies with respect to any person who puts a military type vehicle into circulation on any public road, insofar as this vehicle respects the following conditions: 1 ° it has the same configuration as a road vehicle intended to circulate on a public road; 2 ° it is, in the opinion of an engineer, safe to circulate on any public road, following a verification of its components and their assembly which takes into account the year of manufacture of the vehicle; 3 ° it has been the subject of a mechanical verification, after the engineer has given a favorable opinion in accordance in subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph, and is provided with a compliance sticker in accordance with the Highway Safety Code (chapter C-24.2) and the Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles""""""

Ça sent les roses ici. Il y a plus de détails à venir, mais essentiellement les restrictions ont été levées et Transports Québec remonte le temps d'un an. Les ingénieurs, les collectionneurs de MT et le gouvernement se réuniront et continueront de trouver un moyen de faire connaître le passe-temps des MV au public. Des expositions authentiques de tourelles et de montures d'armes à feu seront vues lors du défilé et la menace de retirer les MV de la rue d'ici 2024 est dans les livres d'histoire. Une portée à la fois.

Un toast rapide aux gens qui ont continué à fouiller pour trouver le bon sens, il est temps de célébrer.

Il y a beaucoup à traduire, alors voici un petit texte de présentation.

""""" La suspension de l’application des dispositions énumérées au premier alinéa de l’article 1 s’applique éga-lement à l’égard de toute personne qui met en circulation un véhicule de type militaire sur tout chemin public, dans la mesure où ce véhicule respecte les conditions suivantes :1° il a la même configuration qu’un véhicule routier destiné à circuler sur un chemin public;2° il est, de l’avis d’un ingénieur, sécuritaire pour cir-culer sur tout chemin public, à la suite d’une vérification de ses composantes et de leur assemblage qui tient compte de l’année de fabrication du véhicule;3° il a fait l’objet d’une vérification mécanique, après que l’ingénieur ait donné un avis favorable conformément au paragraphe 2° du premier alinéa, et est muni d’une vignette de conformité conformément au Code de la sécurité routière (chapitre C-24.2) et au Règlement sur les normes de sécurité des véhicules routiers (chapitre """""

jcdostie

Yep, I received the original of the new legislation by email. My deputy sent me that before it goes out public.
But me and my girlfriend decided to sell the truck anyway, because our camper project is too complicated with that truck.
Here's the link to see the description M923A2 ROPS for sale

JC

saddamsnightmare

May 15th, 2020

Congratulations and good work. It looks like the situation in Quebec has improved, and one might hope that the DMV picks it up in the other provinces.

Have a Great Day!

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks