• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV illegal on highway in Canada (Quebec)

jcdostie

Starting August 22nd, it's illegal to drive a MV on public road with speed limit more than 70 km/h in the province of Quebec.
I have an Iltis and a M923A2 and received 2 letters from the Government Agency which regulates the permits for cars and truck.
Here's the rules:
1- Cannot drive on roads with speed limit more than 70 km/h
2- We must cross at right angle roads that has speed limit of 70 km/h or more
3- Mandatory mechanical inspection
4- Change the plate number to a restricted vehicle
5- Cannot have a turret or an anchor system for guns

Well, I must say those are the stupidiest rules I've seen so far in the province of Quebec.

I don't realy know what to do with that and my vehicles lost a great value with that now auaauaauaauaauaauaauaaua

JC

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't get a letter. I don't think the rest of Canada got a letter, anyone south of the border get a letter? I hope they gave up an exemption for the Canadian Military. Those LSVW's they use look a lot like the LSVW's we use. Sounds like a lot of folks need to get on the phone.

How will we get the Commander of the Canadian Army to the Quebec front lines if we can't use MV's?

Keep us up to date on any other neighbours that get the same letter. Someone at the typewriter must have been drunk so how do we fix this?

I'm sure the transportation minister is easy to reach for clarification.

I think the next MV gathering could be in Quebec. It's nice in the fall. That's real soon! We had 150 units up to Alaska for a Continental celebration, I wonder how many we could get up to Quebec for a good cause.
Before we even talk about having a convoy in Quebec, could I get help with some toll free inquiries to the handy toll free numbers below, just random folks inquiring about the rules when we come visit Quebec in our MV's.
A few weeks of phone calls should get the ball rolling so make sure the wives and kids call as well, inquiring about any rules that might affect them too.

Here's the francais English rules to contact the transportation minister.

It would help to know a little French..... however, if 30 Texans, 25 New Yorkers, 40 Boston accents and 55 Valley girls from California call and ask what the rules will be when tourists convoy up to Quebec in their MV's, we'd teach the switch board girls all kinds of English real quick.

I'll be calling tomorrow followed up with an email, an all 12 of Canada's languages, in grievance of this oversight.

The Honourable François Bonnardel (born November 8, 1967) is actually a really good guy, I've watched him in assembly. He's a little younger than me but old enough to recognize this as an error. It just needs to be brought to his attention.
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/en/Pages/Home.aspx

It's right there on their page....Contact us.... https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/en/contact-us/Pages/contact-us.aspx

By mail Ministère des Transports
Service Québec 511

500, boul. René-Lévesque Ouest, bureau 4.010
Montréal (Québec) H2Z 1W7
[h=2]By telephone[/h]
[h=2]By secure email[/h]Use the Ministère’s online form to send us:

• requests for information
  • reports
  • claims for damages – see the procedure (193 Ko)
  • complaints
  • complaints pertaining specifically to neighbourhood annoyances (OHV)
  • comments
Make sure to fill out clearly the fields marked with an asterisk.
All requests must be processed within the time frame specified in the Ministère’s service statement (in French only).
Please note that any message containing insulting or hateful remarks will remain unanswered. We also reserve the right to forward any threatening message to the competent authorities.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
m1010plowboy I will call today but I need more information that when I call I can quote what ever legislation or new Police Laws that have been enacted.

jcdostie can you post the letter so that I have more information. Some of the local MVowners can call here in the Midwest and I will have some truckers call also that can quote transportation laws and safety concerns.

jcdostie

Hey guys (and girls) that is fantastic thank you for that good idea of calling and sending request. I also did not think about tourists. It would be illegal also. That’s so stupid. Here’s the letter in french. I will have it translate.

The Government Agency is called SAAQ (Société de l’Assurance Automobile du Quebec) and there’s a contact form and person.
https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/secure-mail/
saaq.jpg

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be two other portfolios affected by a decision like this too. Tourism as well as Heritage and Culture. Sometimes they're glummed together under one minister so I'll jab the list tonight and get more contact info up.

Mikey Mcbryan and Buffalo Air just saved a rotting DC-3 out of Quebec, rebuilt it in Quebec and even relocated family there for a few months. The food bill alone was mid 5 digits in a short period. The MV restriction decision ' will ' affect their economy. If decisions against private collectors reduce our abilities to preserve and exercise Canadian History then the Canada Press needs to let all of Quebec know this is happening.

I'll send you a PM later and we can kick some plans around. We just had a local MP, in a ww11 jeep, in a small town parade that required highway access to get there. Last Year it was the Commander of the Canadian Army. Next weekend, convoys of historic military vehicles hit the streets of Alberta for a swap meet in Sylvan Lake. I'll print the letter and get it out to everyone.

There are some great points in the letter but the desired result is not reasonable. It's a spin-off from the rules South of the border that originated from one vehicle. Using it as a blanket defence to restrict access to your vehicles which can both reach highway speeds, hilarious. Let's find out if the Society of Insurers can restrict your Charter without legislation.

I'll be back.

mzak88

Maybe look into registering in another province. Me being in BC am aware that we must have licence plates on the front of any vehicle other than a motorcycle. Also we are prohibited from having our side windows tinted. Either will get you a nice fine... if you have BC plates. An Albertan , however can drive into B.C. with no front plate and tinted side windows right beside a motorist with the same but FROM B.C. Guess who gets the fine? Yep, you guessed right, Mr B.C. Same RCMP police force.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This issue was recognized a little earlier so I'll pile the links here of ongoing discussions up north. If someone is already steering the canoe I'll just jump in and paddle until the big heads on the table give up some good ideas. Meanwhile, anyone that wants to make an inquiry and jingle some phone lines should feel free to do so.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30386

We have an election coming up, does that sound familiar to anyone? Federal election coming up and some Minister that hasn't met us is making decisions about our MV's.

It does appear that not everyone is aware of potential changes to insurance that may affect tourism or future events planned for Quebec MV collectors. These other Ministers should respectfully discover how many people the Insurance decision affects.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/premier/team/members-of-cabinet/

I wasn't sure how to 'address' my first letters to our government so here's a little page that helps guide the text as it flows from your fingers into the email box of our best decision makers.
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...-guidelines-special-event/styles-address.html

Minister of tourism Quebec contact info 2019
[h=1]Caroline Proulx[/h][h=2]Contact Information[/h] [h=3]Department[/h] Ministère du Tourisme
900, boulevard René-Lévesque Est
Bureau 400
Québec (Quebec) G1R 2B5
Telephone: 418-528-8063
Fax: 418-528-8066
ministre@tourisme.gouv.qc.ca
Ministère du Tourisme
1255, rue Peel
Bureau 400
Montréal (Quebec) H3B 4V4
Telephone: 514-864-3419
Fax: 514-864-6988
ministre@tourisme.gouv.qc.ca

Federal Minister of Canada Tourism contact info 2019

I'll give you the link with her lovely picture. She's a hard hitter that has gone to bat for Canadians in the past. I just know she'd love to hear about your future visits to Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/government/ministers/melanie-joly.html

[h=2]Contact information[/h] House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-992-0983
Fax: 613-992-1932
Email: melanie.joly@parl.gc.ca

This is just a news article talking about the 400,000 people that work in the tourism industry and need visitors.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-...sector-as-labour-shortage-continues-1.4368392

jcdostie

Thanks for the links, very usefull info.

I already sent an email to the PDG at SAAQ, cc to the other directors. I request a reading confirmation for my email and I received that this morning.
I asked to have an answer for this URGENT matter, because I only have 3 days to ask for a review of my case.

So now, I will send my message to the politics with cc to the PDG again.
I will also put the "Protecteur du citoyen" Citizen protector in cc

We'll see tomorrow with some **** in the fan

JC

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Political timing

I gotta share this, it's too funny. This poor lad on the right just showed up at my house asking for support in the upcoming election. ..... and me sitting here with my balding head all up in a roar over MV restrictions. Kerry Diotte is a name rich in French history so I'd like him to write a letter to Quebec on our behalf.

P8200403.jpg
I agreed to let him go after he encouraged me to write to him and said he'd respond to all the emails we'll be sending regarding any future MV restrictions.

Here's a helpful link where we can send him our thoughts.

https://www.kerrydiotte.com/#contact

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I believe that we have a start, thanks to the Canadian Troops for providing the valuable information to get the wheel rolling.

Its not to late, lets see if we can get an injunction or stay of the new rules taking effect until the issue can be studied further. Here in Missouri the Highway Patrol gathers information for safety and then goes to the legislature to get approval for the changes. Just maybe the process has been shoved forward without any public input.

I will call every point of contact and see if there are permits or licensing that need to be done to travel upon the Canadian roadways with MV's. And find out why the rules are being changed without notifying the owners of local MV's in a timely manner.

And at time of calling explain that in National Emergencies using surplus equipment before the mobilization of National Agencies is one more level of protection or of voluntary help. But the owners need to be able to exercise their right to practice their continued right to utilize their equipment to be active so that the population will practice good driving skills and share the road.

To me if there is a Group of Collector Cars or Motorcycle Groups, a Convoy of MV's, or just a single vehicle going for a cruise. It is all the same. Enthusiasts just doing a Hobby Thing.

jcdostie

BREAKING NEWS !!!
Yesterday night at 10:30pm, I sent an email to the Minister Bonnardel, cc to the DG of SAAQ, cc to Citizen Protector.
I just received a call at 9am from a SAAQ agent saying my file is under review and request me to send my docs proving the vehicle was design to run on highway.
I will do it right away and keep posting.
I don't know if it's the Minister you called to say keep that buzzing guy quite and call him. We will know soon

JC

Reworked LMTV

Interesting. This from the looks of it, the Insurer of Canadian vehicles is the one making the stink? Based on what data?

saddamsnightmare

August 21st, 2019.

So what is the problem? If you are driving on a Provincial Highway with a military vehicle that generally cannon exceed 50-55 MPH (roughly 80 KM/PH), you could present a safety hazard. Conventional S404.114 Unimogs start having problems above 60-65 KPH, and a Unimog of that model doing 100 KPH is looking for trouble. His Iltis robably has the ability to handle it, the stock M35A2 probably not. Maybe we do need to start recognizing that wide disparities of speed capabilities in vehicles can pose a safety problem. That is why I got rid of my 1927 Model T Ford before I moved to Texas in 2007, as my chance of surviving with the usual speed limits inside and outside of town down here is just about 0%.

Just a thought that might need passed around on here.....

jcdostie

August 21st, 2019.

So what is the problem? If you are driving on a Provincial Highway with a military vehicle that generally cannon exceed 50-55 MPH (roughly 80 KM/PH), you could present a safety hazard. Conventional S404.114 Unimogs start having problems above 60-65 KPH, and a Unimog of that model doing 100 KPH is looking for trouble. His Iltis robably has the ability to handle it, the stock M35A2 probably not. Maybe we do need to start recognizing that wide disparities of speed capabilities in vehicles can pose a safety problem. That is why I got rid of my 1927 Model T Ford before I moved to Texas in 2007, as my chance of surviving with the usual speed limits inside and outside of town down here is just about 0%.

Just a thought that might need passed around on here.....
I have a M923 that’s very pleasant to drive at 90 km/h and they don’t allow me more that 70 km/h (43 mph). That’s a bit ridiculous
Also, I have to find a way to get to my destination avoiding those roads and highways
For the Iltis, it’s something else
JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BREAKING NEWS !!!
Yesterday night at 10:30pm, I sent an email to the Minister Bonnardel, cc to the DG of SAAQ, cc to Citizen Protector.
I just received a call at 9am from a SAAQ agent saying my file is under review and request me to send my docs proving the vehicle was design to run on highway.
I will do it right away and keep posting.
I don't know if it's the Minister you called to say keep that buzzing guy quite and call him. We will know soon

JC
Good step forward, or slightly sideways but not back,.... nice. Appreciate the quick updates and keep them coming. The Iltis info for highway use is in the MLU forum I believe. We should be able to chase the 'legal' documents from there. What do they want? It's interesting that they asked you to do a little extra leg work to find supporting documents. At the same time it'd be sucre sweet and spice if they would provide the info that led them to this decision. We'd like to get names, a paper trail and how this even became an issue. Was the info pushed up from the south or did someone up here go looking for it. W5

What do we have on the 900 series 5 tons for 'description of vehicle use ' documents? Front pages of the TM's?

I sure would like to see these kids today have the opportunity to own and drive historical vehicles on surface streets 35 years from now. Special interest groups that work hard so kids in the future can do the same things we're doing now seems important. Generally, the MV world is a lot safer than the high performance world so if the MV's are at risk, the rodders, choppers, bouncers, drifters, lambo lovers and Bently boys will be at risk as well. Everyone is being asked to get on board with this not only to wake Quebec up but to collaborate on the future.

If the MVPA boys hadn't formed up decades ago and lobbied to drive their Willys on the road, what would we be driving today? Yes Sir, my MV is for the "Good of the Greater Public", history, education, preservation and most of all, a tribute. No sir, they won't trump this liberty.

Keeping slow, dangerous and unsafe vehicles off the street is going just great with the current legislation and rules. SAAQ needs to focus on something else, soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks