• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936? Is this the right forum?

WildernessJeep

I purchased an M936 (sight unseen!!) in an auction today, sort of by accident. I knew that I wanted a 5-ton wrecker, although I don't know much about this particular truck (yet). I searched this forum for 936 and came up with no results. Is this the right forum for this truck?

Specifically, I was going to ask how to put a regular trailer ball on the back of it to tow a regular civilian trailer? Also, I know it will need a fluid change and comb-through once it arrives. Anything to look for in particular?

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats for getting involved in such a (nice)"accident"... and welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Yes, this is the correct sub-forum.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Towbar/ clevis anchor shackles. That was a good rip off.

Texas has a former military vehicle law. There is a thread on it here on the forum

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased an M936 (sight unseen!!) in an auction today, sort of by accident. I knew that I wanted a 5-ton wrecker, although I don't know much about this particular truck (yet). I searched this forum for 936 and came up with no results. Is this the right forum for this truck?

Specifically, I was going to ask how to put a regular trailer ball on the back of it to tow a regular civilian trailer? Also, I know it will need a fluid change and comb-through once it arrives. Anything to look for in particular?

Thanks,

Robert
Yes, correct forum. Everything you need to know is here on SS. I watched that one sell today. Drive shaft removed so plan to get it hauled and loaded. A few leaks as stated and likely bad fuel lines for the high idle rpm. Welcome to the club!

fasttruck

Reference post 3: the vise is also missing. That's what the plate on the right side of the truck behind the bumper is for. I bought a vise once and a M 816 came with it. Download the operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book and lubrication order. There is a plate on the dashboard that lists the numbers. There are about 100 grease points on a wrecker: neglect them at your own peril. The lube order shows the grease points and identifies what products to put in the transmission and power steering. The winch cable is not wound up so you will have to figure out how the winch works to correct that. The picture in post 1 suggests at least some of the OVM is present. A wrecker comes with about 1000# of tools and accessories.

Congrats on your purchase!!

I just drug my new wrecker (M936a2) home from Delaware yesterday. The amount of tools and hiding spots on the 36s are crazy, I'm used to the 923 and 932 which had zero storage compared to this beast.

WildernessJeep

Reference post 3: the vise is also missing. That's what the plate on the right side of the truck behind the bumper is for. I bought a vise once and a M 816 came with it. Download the operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book and lubrication order. There is a plate on the dashboard that lists the numbers. There are about 100 grease points on a wrecker: neglect them at your own peril. The lube order shows the grease points and identifies what products to put in the transmission and power steering. The winch cable is not wound up so you will have to figure out how the winch works to correct that. The picture in post 1 suggests at least some of the OVM is present. A wrecker comes with about 1000# of tools and accessories.
Where to get the tools and accessories that are missing? For example, a search of that vice NSN (5120-00-243-9072) comes back with a sales price of $1,168, and it isn't even green! I'm sure a bunch of this stuff is vehicle-specific (I already know how to get pipe wrenches). What's the best source?

mzak88

Curt # 15800 is about perfect. Minor mods to hitch, nothing much. Sits behind Pintle. Rotate it and plug in your 2.5” receiver with 12” drop. XM381 12 volt adapter and yer towing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks