• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank sending unit assembly

dodjh

Well, it's is either folks don't know anything about M880's or just don't wont to respond to a request for help...I mean 5 days and zilt, come on,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, aren't they the same as a civilian dodge truck of that era?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If nobody responded that tells you nobody knows where to find one. I sure don’t. They used to show up on ebay for almost $300. That was years ago that I was looking and gave up. Yes the sender is the same as civilian.

dodjh

If nobody responded that tells you nobody knows where to find one. I sure don’t. They used to show up on ebay for almost $300. That was years ago that I was looking and gave up. Yes the sender is the same as civilian.
Thanks doghead & NDT...for your posts. I have tried to find one for a W200 & W300...same result.

While waiting for reply's, I've been trying to solder the swing lever on mine and it worked several times (ohm swings from full to empty)

so ready to install and decided to check once more, nothing on ohms, pulled apart and lever broke off at the pivot arm where the spring

keeps tension on the cover. Aside from that, the ones available have steel rings to connect the sender assembly to the fuel tank.

Thanks again for your posts. Charles

dodjh

Well there you go and stainless to boot! Thanks dodjh!!!!! About to order one.
I appreciate you and everyone else's input...I was going to add the site to the M880 TM PDF section but was hoping someone

that was more computer savvy would do it for us.

Yes, it was very challenging but it should benefit all of us M880 owners. I didn't explore all of their inventory but nice to know

there are parts out there.

Jens at 'Vintage Powerwagons' ( 888-695-0578 ) told me about them and even sent me the link while we were on the phone.

Great guy!

Don't know how the smiley face ended up with Vintage Powerwagons phone number. I tried editing the post several times but it still

shows back up. Their phone number is 888-695-0578

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Don't know how the smiley face ended up with Vintage Powerwagons phone number. I tried editing the post several times but it still shows back up.
Eight, followed by a bracket always produces that smiley.
Just leave a space between 8 and )
Fixed it for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, disable smileys.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, disable smileys.
Okay...never had that happen before...Thank you for fixing-it...good idea to disable the smiley faces...
Aren't there LAWS against maiming emojis? Emojis have rights, ya know! Besides, where would you find little wheelchairs for those smileys anyway?!?!?

Disabled Smiley - - - > Disabled Smiley.jpg

dodjh

I installed the fuel tank, after removing and cleaning it, replacing sending unit and all new fuel line from the tank to the carburetor.

Only lines not hooked up are the fill hose and vent which are an assembly.

I put approximately 4 gals. in the tank then tried to start it.

Using a remote starter, I added fuel to the carb. to help get the fuel flowing from the tank. None or very little fuel is appearing in the fuel filter

placed before the carburetor.

I'm wondering if 4 gals is enough and not having the the fill assembly hooked up would be reasons for fuel not to make it to the carb.

The fuel pump was working prior to removal of the tank.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:

dodjh

Hi Bob...I took my old pump off yesterday and installed a new one today. Talking to a few guys at the Napa I use, I found out that leaving ethanol in your fuel system over an extended amount of time will destroy (maybe compromise is a better word) the diaphragm in the pump. I last changed the pump in 2015, so tomorrow I should find out if that is the case.

The bottom line from the pump, which goes to the Carb., has the Alt. heater hoses, oil dipstick and exhaust manifold right in its path.

When I find the best route for that line and put the Alt. back on, I should be able to try and start it.

Thank you for your post.

dodjh

Rerouted the fuel pump line to carb and spun her over (with a splash of fuel in the carb.) and the first try she caught the fumes out of the fuel filter and fired right up.

Fuel filter stays full and the gas gauge works! Now have to hook up the exhaust pipe assembly and then realign the bed to the frame and bolt everything down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks